KK headlights not bright enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the KK's headlights seem not very powerful. Even when I had my fog lights on last night from driving a co-worker home during a little snow fall. Blowing snow across the interstate, I mean the headlights seem they could use more juice, brighter and with a longer "throw". Hm.

On a side note, I have noticed there's little love for the Liberty as far as off-road products for the after market. Not just the KK but the Liberty in general. I can find more product for the Grand Cherokee and Commander than the Liberty. AEV is a cool company for after market but they do not have ANYthing for the Liberty. Is it because some do not see the Liberty as an off-road worthy vehicle hence few after market product?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try some Sylvania Silverstar's, or the Silverstar Ultra's...that should help a little bit....BUT, they're about $30-$50 a pair depending on when/where you get em.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about HID's or something similar, do I need anything special to run those?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure exactly what you would need, but I know it's more involved than just swapping bulbs.

Layston

Reaction score
From Silvania's website:

High & low beam headlamp
H13 (9008)
H13ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H13XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

HID conversion (High Intensity Discharge) kits are something different. You hook up a new ballast to your car's power (12V) and then you connect the existing wiring harness to the ballast and finally the new Xenon bulbs to the ballast. It's fairly simple but:
a) it uses more "juice" (amperage)
b) the bulbs burn out faster than normal bulbs
c) bulbs are more expensive

Here is an incredible price on a kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H13-...rsion-Kit_W0QQitemZ280199923392QQcmdZViewItem
If you buy it, you specify the "color" bulb you want by the heat in kelvin.

From my experience, I liked the Sylvania Silverstars but I only got about 6 months out of them. I drive about 2 hours a day on average. So that would be only 300-400 hours out of the bulbs. The HIDs are typically rated at 2500 hours (from what I've seen - no first hand experience).

DISCLAIMER!!! Read this before buying HID:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41131

Last edited:

Layston

Reaction score
I just re-read the Ebay auction. That kit has only one brightness level. Our headlamps have Hi/Lo - so if you really like the high/lo feature, don't buy that kit. There are others out there (that cost a fair bit more) that do both hi and lo.

RIPGTP1997

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one of those Ebay conversions for my 02KJ. I bought the one with the lo/hi feature. It works wonders. Tonz of brightness. And don't listen to the people above, the HID bulbs will outlast the length of your car, and they draw less amps, b.c it is a 35w bulb, not the typical 55w. Granted, it IS an illegal conversion, but the cops give me no troubles. And to pass inspection it is as simple as pulling 2 plugs, the bubls and putting regular bubls back in. Total install time took about 45 minutes due to finding a place to mount each ballast.

08LIBERTYFAN

Reaction score
bought my headlights for my 08 kk through ebay. Pillot 6000k. great price and and even greater look to my jeep.

Dabitz

Reaction score
What is the headlight code I need for the silverstars 9008 or H13? I went to Pep Boys' last night but they didnt' have that info on their computers.

Dabitz

Reaction score
Never mind, it's on the manual 9008 H13. I went to a couple of stores today but didn't find the Silverstars on that size. I only found Phillips Ultra something.

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess that answers that question. How bout Philips vs Sylvania? Looks like someone had a set of Sylvania's burn out after 6 months. Think Philips will last longer? I wonder if he handled the glass when he put them in.

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a way to put whiter/bluer bulbs the the roof rack lights? i have the silverstar ultras for my hi/lw and fog lights..so should i just by 4 more fog light bulbs? is that even possible?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Silvania's website:

High & low beam headlamp
H13 (9008)

HID conversion (High Intensity Discharge) kits are something different. You hook up a new ballast to your car's power (12V) and then you connect the existing wiring harness to the ballast and finally the new Xenon bulbs to the ballast. It's fairly simple but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H13-...rsion-Kit_W0QQitemZ280199923392QQcmdZViewItem

From my experience, I liked the Sylvania Silverstars but I only got about 6 months out of them. I drive about 2 hours a day on average. So that would be only 300-400 hours out of the bulbs. The HIDs are typically rated at 2500 hours (from what I've seen - no first hand experience).

FYI in Washington HID headlights are only legal on cars that come factory with HID. So whatever you get it will NOT be legal in WA as the KK has no HID option.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Silvania's website:

High & low beam headlamp
H13 (9008)

True HID bulbs draw way less power then regular automotive bulbs,and they will last alot longer also.

I run 2 KJ HID's on my ARB bumber,they are 35watt HID bulbs,about half the watts of the low beam bulbs and draw only 2.4amps per light,again way less then half of what the OEM low beams draw.They may draw less power but are much,much brighter at the tune of 600,000 candle power per light,about 5-6 times the output of the OEM high beam bulbs.

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Philips Vision Plus bulbs and they are great. Last car was a Benz E500 with Xenon lights and it is not as bright, but, with these new bulbs I don't think anyone will be complaining. I can see farther and street signs way down the road light up nice and bright. This should be the standard bulb. Also the vision Plus will last almost as long as a standard H13, the other REALLY bright bulbs have a rating of about 50% as compared to a standard bulb. VP is about 75%.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited: