KJ Wouldn't Start... No Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange problem... I stopped at a store for about ten minutes. Came back out, turned the key, just heard a click, and then no power. No dash lights, no stereo, nothing. I then turned the key again, still no power. On the fourth attempt, I did get a click again, but nothing. Then I turned the key again, and still no power.

I popped the hood to check that the battery connectors, and they were on tight, and seemed fine. All I did was touch them.

So I got back in, turned the key, dash lighted up (had power) and it started and I drove it home.

I tried to read the codes, and I couldn't get it to display any at all (I followed the directions in the "how to").

Anyone ever have this? First problem ever after two plus years. Thanks.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From an electrical standpoint, I would say that either your battery is dead/dying or its a loose connection, maybe at the main fuse box.

You're still under warranty right?

dnm45227

Reaction score
My first suspect would be the battery. Take it to an Autozone or similiar store and have them test it on the car. They can test the alternator and battery stoped and running under load.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Trodo said:
I don't mean to make it sound stupid, but you weren't in neutral were you?

Even if he was, he should still have been able to start it in Neutral. All (well probably all) auto's have been this way for many years. This way if it stalls on you going down the street, you can get it restarted again quickly and then just drop it in gear.

The fact that you touched them and it started working again is making me think it's a loose connection, or a cable going bad. You still got a warranty dont you?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Battery is dying. DCX's batteries have never had long lives....

My salesguy told me that my Red '04 KJ wouldn't start the day after I dropped it off at the dealership. :-s So don't feel alone!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, still under warranty (another 10 months!). I think I'll clean the battery connectors... and see what happens. It must be the connectors...

Thanks all for you input. (Cheers)

I was in Park btw.

richardkf

Reaction score
It's electrical. Even if he were in neutral it would start - the neutral safety switch only prevents cars from starting in gear, not in park or neutral. But when you turn the key, the dash lights and accessories will still come on. The neutral safety switch does not cut off power to accessories, it only cuts off power to the starter.

Also - a battery thats on the way out, doesnt miraculously just regain enough power to start the car and power the accesssories after it was dead just two or three minutes before.

There is a short somewhere in the vicinity where he was messing around, or, it can also be computer related too.

Whether or not you're under warranty, go to the dealership and, at least, let them diagnose the problem correctly for you. You don't wan to be left stuck late night someplace remote in case this were to happen again. And odds are ... it will.

grogiefrog said:
Yeah, still under warranty (another 10 months!). I think I'll clean the battery connectors... and see what happens. It must be the connectors...

Thanks all for you input. (Cheers)

I was in Park btw.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
richardkf said:
Whether or not you're under warranty, go to the dealership and, at least, let them diagnose the problem correctly for you.

Lol, I can see it now.

DEALER: "Sir, we need to replace the engine. And it isn't covered under the warranty."

ROFL!

richardkf

Reaction score
The only way out of warranty coverage for any dealership is if they can prove, in concrete terms, that the vehicle was modified to void the warranty and that the modification directly, or indirectly, caused the problem or if he did something unapproved - like driving through a lake or flooded street where water levels were too high. Doesn't sound like that's the case here. Any dealership - no matter how bad - will diagnose and repair it.

jfortier777 said:
richardkf said:
Whether or not you're under warranty, go to the dealership and, at least, let them diagnose the problem correctly for you.

Lol, I can see it now.

DEALER: "Sir, we need to replace the engine. And it isn't covered under the warranty."

ROFL!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
richardkf said:

Lol, I can see it now.

ROFL!

I would take the connectors off the battery and clean them up real good. Make sure they are good and tight and pour alittle oil on them, that will keep it from corroding. If it does it again take it to get the battery tested. If the battery is good then take it to the dealer and tell them what you have done to try and fix it. I always use the dealer as a last resort. They always seem to look at me like Im crazy and say they couldnt find anything. Its always a waste of my time.

You should of seen their face when i told them the inside lights come on by themselves!! :-s

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:

My salesguy told me that my Red '04 KJ wouldn't start the day after I dropped it off at the dealership. :-s So don't feel alone!

I still have my stock battery, its an 2002 with 68,000 miles. Once it does die, I'll be getting an Optima.

dnm45227

Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
Marlon_JBT said:

I still have my stock battery, its an 2002 with 68,000 miles. Once it does die, I'll be getting an Optima.

The battery was the first thing I had to do to our old '02. We baught it at 40k and I don't think it lasted to 45k before the battery went bad.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made an appointment to drop it off at the dealer. Since it's under warranty, I'm going to make them check it. I'll update everyone.

Thanks again for the comments. It's got to be a short???

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
Marlon_JBT said:

That is almost exactley how long mine lasted... when it died, it died HARD. I couldn't even jump it from another car battery... that charge pack the tow truck guy had was only enough to get it started - as soon as I ideled it died again - this was on a Sunday during vacation. Good times.

Replace it now... play it safe.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I really doubt its a short somewhere. Your Jeep is too new to be having problems with shorts like that. I'm leaning towards a possible bad cable, or based on how many other people have had their batteries crap out, a bad battery is the problem.

Going back to how many have had this problem, i'm gonna keep an eye on mine now. I noticed some corrosion building up on the terminals the other day.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!

The dealer just called and said that everything checked out (battery, starter, etc.). They did clean the battery connectors and tightened them down. She's ready to pickup! Yes, I could have done that, but being under warranty, might as well have them look it over. I honestly only touched the connectors and they felt tight to me.

The bad thing is that we've had rain all day here, and my wife took the TJ to work (I work at home). The TJ leaks in rain (they pretty much all do). Thankfully I have all weather floor mats in both Jeeps!

I really do love the KJ. It broke my heart when she didn't want to start... (biggrin)

2003KJ

Reaction score
I think she's trying to tell you something aaron.....i can almost hear her saying "please, take me wheelin somewhere...ANYWHERE!!"

\:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I think she's trying to tell you something aaron.....i can almost hear her saying "please, take me wheelin somewhere...ANYWHERE!!"

Last recent trip with the KJ was off to the Hoosier National Forest end of May. It had been dry... so not much mud on the side trails we took. I love getting mud on the Jeeps. They look good clean, but as well dirty! =D>

2003KJ

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
2003KJ said:

Last recent trip with the KJ was off to the Hoosier National Forest end of May. It had been dry... so not much mud on the side trails we took. I love getting mud on the Jeeps. They look good clean, but as well dirty! =D>

That dont mean nothin with out some PROOF!!!...LOL pics2.gif