KJ Won't Go Into Gear...AGAIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, let me first start off by saying that I just moved to Cobleskill last month, and it has proven a NIGHTMARE for cars in my family.

First off, my parents' Ranger can no longer tow anything because the frame and part of the hitch rusted through. Then the day we were bringing furniture down to the new apartment, my mom thought it might be fun to total our '97 Subaru...right in front of the apartment. Two weeks ago, someone drove into the bumper of my Jeep in the school parking lot. I saw it happen, and so, he is paying for my new paint job. WHILE I WAS AT THE BODY SHOP, my roommate calls me and tells me HER Jeep Liberty just got hit on Wolf Road in Albany, and is un-drivable. So I drive to pick her up, and we get home, and I start a new job the next morning. On my way back from work this evening, I get to the same intersection outside our apartment that my mom totaled the Subaru at--my Liberty decides to make a grinding/squeaking noise, and now refuses to go into gear.

I had the master cylinder replaced about a year and a half ago, in which it did the same thing (refusing to go into gear [ALSO right in front of my house]), but without the grinding. I spoke to someone at the Jeep dealership tonight and he thought it was the clutch. I have yet to try to see if it will go into gear without being turned on--I will let you all know how that turns out. Anyway, I'm just looking for ideas as to what it might be, since it can't be fixed til Monday at the earliest. Also, if anyone knows any good mechanics in Cobleskill, NY, please let me know!

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally recommend replacing the slave and master together, makes things alot easier for everyone. I would guess your slave has took a dump, and wont push the clutch fork anymore. If you can get to the slave, look for signs of leakage. May have to pull back the rubber dust boot. I would go that route and the fight with bleeding it before I pulled the transmission to see the clutch.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the Jeep to the mechanic, and they made me REALLY happy...sarcasm fully intended here. The list:

- New clutch.
- Something from the front drive shaft has apparently been gone for some time and I didn't know about it thanks to zero symptoms, so I need a new front drive shaft.

It also needs to go to a transmission shop because the transmission is leaking in several places and needs to be sealed. The regulator in the driver's side window broke about two weeks after getting the passenger side regulator fixed. It also needs the AC fixed...eventually. And I told them to go over it and make sure there was nothing else glaringly wrong with it so that I can just get everything done at once.

The total, without finding anything additional wrong, and without getting the regulator and AC fixed: $1,400. Also known as 3/4 of my savings.

I love Jeeps =[

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
New front driveshaft??
right there you could save some since its more than likely the rear boot is gone, they could replace the head for 80 in parts plus labor....
New clutch I can see that, just make sure they are replacing everything and not just throwing a clutch plate in there

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, let me first start off by saying that I just moved to Cobleskill last month, and it has proven a NIGHTMARE for cars in my family.

First off, my parents' Ranger can no longer tow anything because the frame and part of the hitch rusted through. Then the day we were bringing furniture down to the new apartment, my mom thought it might be fun to total our '97 Subaru...right in front of the apartment. Two weeks ago, someone drove into the bumper of my Jeep in the school parking lot. I saw it happen, and so, he is paying for my new paint job. WHILE I WAS AT THE BODY SHOP, my roommate calls me and tells me HER Jeep Liberty just got hit on Wolf Road in Albany, and is un-drivable. So I drive to pick her up, and we get home, and I start a new job the next morning. On my way back from work this evening, I get to the same intersection outside our apartment that my mom totaled the Subaru at--my Liberty decides to make a grinding/squeaking noise, and now refuses to go into gear.

I had the master cylinder replaced about a year and a half ago, in which it did the same thing (refusing to go into gear [ALSO right in front of my house]), but without the grinding. I spoke to someone at the Jeep dealership tonight and he thought it was the clutch. I have yet to try to see if it will go into gear without being turned on--I will let you all know how that turns out. Anyway, I'm just looking for ideas as to what it might be, since it can't be fixed til Monday at the earliest. Also, if anyone knows any good mechanics in Cobleskill, NY, please let me know!

idk the cobleskill area too well but in albany, ny about 10-15 mins away from wolf road theres a shop called ralphs transmission on alta rd right off of central ave (rt 5) they definitely know there stuff when it comes to anything drivetrain, hope this helps

Tarikleesimsek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horrible! It seems like you will spend a lot of money on those what you need. Why not consider get a new ******? How many miles you got?

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it turns out, I'm getting a new transmission anyway--The pilot bearing in the current one exploded and took out the clutch, etc., something was mentioned about the crankshaft, and yes, it was the boot on the driveshaft they said had been gone a while, so there was all sorts of crap up in it and THAT is why it should be replaced. Thankfully the parents are gonna help me out so I can actually afford to get everything done--the new transmission has 80k on it, they're going to have it sealed so nothing comes up later. Since my move to Cobleskill, my mileage won't go up nearly as quickly--I'm now driving about 10 miles per day as opposed to almost 80. I KBBed the Jeep to see what it was worth and came out to about $7k, and I know I won't be able to find another 5-speed renegade for $2524, which is what they're estimating it's gonna cost me right now.

Either way, I'm really REALLY glad I got myself a new job right now.