KJ vs Nissan Xterra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smileyboy

Reaction score
I was at a car lot yesterday and I test drove a Liberty (which I really like btw). But the salesman was telling me not to buy a Liberty and check out an Xterra. I was really suprised. I didn't think a 01-04 Xterra could keep up with a Liberty, I didn't think Nissan quality is comparable to a Jeep. Am I missing something, should I consider a Xterra?
thx

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at a car lot yesterday and I test drove a Liberty (which I really like btw). But the salesman was telling me not to buy a Liberty and check out an Xterra. I was really suprised. I didn't think a 01-04 Xterra could keep up with a Liberty, I didn't think Nissan quality is comparable to a Jeep. Am I missing something, should I consider a Xterra?
thx
Your asking abunch of KJ owner's here if you should consider a Xterra,on a Liberty(and other Jeep forum)?I'll keep my mouth shut(ask the salesman the list of recalls and TSB's for a Xterra compared to a KJ and you'll have your answer).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
He just wants the XTerra off his lot. It's probably been sitting there a while. Believe me.... I was "rushed" into my current Jeep... they just wanted it gone and slapped another $1k on the hood just to get me to drive it away.

The sales guys were even competing to see who could make it disappear faster.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the new bodystyle Xterra's and was actually considering one until my mother bought her '05 KJ and I liked it more. I still like them, but they cost a little more. What year is the Xterra? Is it this bodystyle or the older one?
You must be registered for see images

Don't get me wrong, I'm KJ all the way now....but you can't deny the Xterra has some appeal to it too.:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a Jeep KJ Board. We all love our KJ's and we all will tell you the KJ is better. We wouldn't be on the board otherwise. We also have no financial interest in telling you which one is better. A SALESMAN told you this.........he is not going to make any money on the deal???? There is more profit in the XTERRA for him. If there was more profit in the Jeep he would have told you the Jeep was better.........Consider the source.

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the online reviews i read on the xterra have not been so kind. One big issue is its wet road handling is supposed to be horrible. And not very comfortable for people over 5'5

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also considered the xterra but the supercharged model got extra $hitty gas mileage compared to the kj. Plus the KJ was alot cheaper. :D

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any suv that has any decent off road capability, doesnt get good gas mileage, except for the dieself liberty. The reason that is, is because of gearing.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no suv's can be considered "aerodynamic" But you could still get better gas mileage even with the weight if the gearing was different.

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no suv's can be considered "aerodynamic" But you could still get better gas mileage even with the weight if the gearing was different.

maybe a little bit not really worth a gear change if you ask me, if you changed the gearing you may get better around town and then worse on the highway or vice versa. i average about 14.5mpg with the mt/r's now. that's combined highway and around town with the a/c on. I used to get about 16.5 :mad: Dont really mind because it looks good now. I have the stock 3.73's maybe one day go to 4.10's. I'm done spending money on this thing for a while.:D Either way a KJ is better than an Xterra!

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you EVER listen to an auto salesman?

Never ever trust them. They have their own agendas. There might be an honest few out there but how would you ever know? As I said, they are under a lot of pressure to sell so they can get food on the table. The boss may tell them that they have to push to get a certain vehicle off the lot.

Trust owners of both vehicles and trusted national reviews. Get the data on their history.

smileyboy

Reaction score
I didn't mean for it to sound like I trusted the salesman. The guy drove a Xterra everyday for work and has had both the 01 and currently has a 05. I know how sales guys r!!!!!! I just never gave a Nissan much thought & I was a bit suprised.
Then I test drove one this morning( a 02 xterra). No thx.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xterras are better offroad than a stock liberty. Thats about it though..

The salesman that sold me my jeep was one of the best salesmen Ive ever dealt with. They usually just want to make a sale and see you leave, but this one was different..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The salesman that sold me my jeep was one of the best salesmen Ive ever dealt with. They usually just want to make a sale and see you leave, but this one was different..
I beg to differ on the Xtrera's being better offroad than a stock KJ,they have way less flex than a stock KJ.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

My sister's salesman is great as well. He always asks if everything's OK, knows us by name (actually that's pretty pathetic), and is a very upbeat and happy-go-lucky guy.

2003KJ

Reaction score
In my opinion, the KJ is much better...and I speak this not only because I have one, but from experience.

I test drove a 2003 Xterra the morning I bought my Jeep (the Nissan dealer was last on my list, even though I pretty much made up my mind the night before on the KJ). It was slow, bluky, and drove like crap.....and I was considering the SUPERCHARGED version (and i'm glad I didn't go with it, as the supercharged V6 runs on premium....and at $3.49+ a gallon.....well you do the math).

The newer ones are supposed to be better, and they have a bigger engine in them. But the 1st and 2nd generation Xterras are WAY under powered. This might be because they share the same engine with the Frontier, which probably weighs less than the X does....so while the engine may suit the Frontier well, it doesn't do the X much at all.

Latest posts

Members online