KJ newbie looking for some help with mods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ 'Old Red' Project

Hi guys,

This is my second attempt purchasing a KJ, the first one was 7 years ago when a salesman sold a used renegade out from under me while I was taking it on a test drive! I've never forgotten about it...

Anyway, circumstances have changed over the years, now I'm out of New England and in Phoenix. A few months ago I fell in love with the 2015 Mustang (I can finally own a RWD without hating myself from winters) so I ordered me up a GT to replace my older WRX, but the new stang isn't in until late this year at best! I decided to spend the extra time to private sale my WRX and ended up with enough extra over trade value to purchase something else fun to DD and turn into a project car in the meantime, so I'm 'accidentally' purchasing a KJ all these years later!

Long story short, the thing has 170K but has been meticulously maintained - new AC unit and transmission 30K miles ago and otherwise the engine was purring like a kitten (right from turn over!) so hopefully I can voodoo the head gaskets away for another 50K miles+. It does have some flaws I need to fix, though. Most I can do myself with easy parts, just basic quality of life parts that the last owner stopped replacing in the last year (gas struts for lift gate/hood, one tail light cover, etc.).

Beyond that, though, I'm looking to do a few projects on it right away to keep the car fresh until I look into modifying it for some off-road duty next summer. If anyone has any suggestions for these things, I'd appreciate it. I have tried to search for a lot of these items and it seems the poor old KJ is eclipsed by the CJ/Wranglers so it's a sea of mediocre information out there!

1) In lieu of reconditioning the front seat cushions, repairing the broken recliner assembly and buying new covers, I figured I might as well get some cheaper racing seats with proper harness points now. The only thing I cannot find are brackets that are listed as fitting onto the KJ stock risers. I'd rather not custom fab these, so any tips on other vehicles with the same mounting points would be great!

2) It's AZ, so no surprise the stock wheel cover (vinyl?) is twisted and warped and almost dripping off the wheel. I was thinking my two options are this: get 5 pt harnesses with seats (above) so I can lose the airbag and replace the entire wheel with a nicer aftermarket (guess I'd have to reroute cruise/vol controls but no biggie) OR try and rehab the wheel. My rehab plan is probably just heat gun the vinyl back to 'sort of even' and then use one of those leather wheelcover stitched overlays. Anyone have to deal with this type of thing before?

3) Spotty brakes... bit warbly in the pedals, I 'm guessing just warped rotors? Probably taking it into the shop immediately for a thorough eval and just replace the rotors to be safe (brakes are kind of one of those 'mission critical' items methinks!).

Thanks for any input all, looking forward to getting it tomorrow and spending some time turning it into a bit of a hobby car over the next year! :gr_grin:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Corbeau used to have the seat brackets, had to call them but you get get them from them. Helped install a set in an 05 KJ
Wouldn't suggest doing away with the airbag , just my opinion,
just get another KJ wheel , easy enough.
If it needs rotors , then replace pads as well along with all of the hardware, do it right.

"so it's a sea of mediocre information out there"
Interesting comment, I think there is a ton of info out there on sites like here, LOSTJEEPS, JeepForum and a few others If its been done or can be done without cutting your head off its on one of the first two sites with instructions, that is if you'll listen to folks who have done it and know what works
just don't get on Its a KJ Thing on Facebook:happy175::ROFLJest::happy175::ROFLJest:

Last edited:

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corbeau used to have the seat brackets, had to call them but you get get them from them. Helped install a set in an 05 KJ
If it needs rotors , then replace pads as well along with all of the hardware, do it right.

"so it's a sea of mediocre information out there"
Interesting comment, I think there is a ton of info out there on sites like here, LOSTJEEPS, JeepForum and a few others If its been done or can be done without cutting your head off its on one of the first two sites with instructions, that is if you'll listen to folks who have done it and know what works
just don't get on Its a KJ Thing on Facebook:happy175::ROFLJest::happy175::ROFLJest:

Oh yea, there's a LOT out there. What I meant was that I've spent a lot of time this weekend parsing through videos and guides only to find out they don't sell it in KJ flavor or it's a completely different part. So yea a lot of it is GREAT information, just not entirely applicable all the time.

Good point on OEM replacement, I will probably check out the local junkyard this coming weekend, maybe I'll get lucky. Unfortunately I may have to ebay this one unless they imported the wrecks so less sun damage.

Thanks

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had a set of corbeaus in the jeep for a while, you can pull the weight sensor pad from the stock seat and adapt it to the aftermarket seats. it's intimidating to think about but it is a really simple system and takes no time to set up correctly in the new seat. I still have both of the seat brackets if you want to save money on them (they are like new)

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I done the deed and finally picked it up!

Here's some terrible initial pics to see what we're dealing with here:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A fairly daunting project!

But here's what I've done so far with REHAB:
  • Coolant lines replaced and system flushed (one line was bulging pretty badly!)
  • Front left axle CV replaced (falling apart)
  • Front brakes redone
  • Rear brakes cleaned up
  • Driver side taillight housing replaced (tried bulb and socket, must have been inside the housing so replaced it)

I still have a few problems:

The front drive shaft is torn to pieces as well, apparently it was never put into 4x4 in all its miles so it fell apart over time. I ordered a refurb model in lieu of 700+ OEM, yuck.

Also, the blinker control stalk blinks the dome lights occasionally any time you activate anything on it. Weird... not sure what to diagnose there except check the wiring and replace the thing?

The power mirror adjusters don't work (except, oddly, drivers side tilting inboard works fine...) so I think I need to take a look at relays or the wiring to make sure it didn't get crimped over time in the door.

But those may take awhile, so here's this weekend's TODO:
  • First stop is some local junkyards. The front seat is in OK condition, but the reclining bracket has a broken handle and the riser shield (as pictured above) is torn in pieces.
  • Replacing gas struts (hood and rear are junk).
  • Removing the god awful old-man pinstripes.
  • Removing a bunch of the needless and peeling badges.
  • Finding a new audio head unit (current one is broken, won't work and won't turn off so drains the battery).
  • Cabin air filter (smells like rancid bacon when you first turn on the AC).

Here's my short term projects that I have ongoing (stuff on order):
  • Full interior detail. Carpet is relatively serviceable so I think I'll save that for later, but I NEED hot water extraction cleaning on all the cloth surfaces! Once that is done I can move onto the next projects.
  • I've ordered a new leather red and black steering wheel cover to go over the melted looking vinyl junk.
  • I settled on Covercraft red/black spacermesh seat covers. It will probably be the coolest fabric and will match the new wheel cover. I'm going to put these on after I get a thorough detail and replace the front seat parts from the junk yard.
  • I also ordered two yards of matching red spacermesh fabric to reupholster the cloth door trim panels to match the new seat covers.
  • Need to find some good looking all weather floor mats.
  • Going to pull all the plastic trim panels on the exterior, sand, prep, prime and paint them black.
  • Need to refinish the headlights.
  • Dash bulb... not sure on how difficult that will be to replace but it needs one.
  • Retint - current stuff is AWFUL. It's just dark plastic, no UV protection. I need to get this redone.

Once all that is taken care of it should be smooth sailing! Here's my 'long' term projects over the next few year:

• Find a good KJ lift kit - nothing too big, just 2-3" but with proper coil-overs.
  • Get some taller A/T tires and wheels that widen the wheelbase a tad.

Any comments/help welcome! I hope to keep updating with some of the progress here. I'm sure it's small potatoes compared to some SFA and serious offroading equipment, but I've liked the Liberty for awhile and I'm mostly trying to make it a fun car to drive with a little offroad and towing capability. Also, mods could you rename the thread to "KJ 'Old Red' Project"? Figured I'd just keep updating here as I go, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20141106_174531_039.jpg
    IMG_20141106_174531_039.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20141106_174617_618.jpg
    IMG_20141106_174617_618.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20141106_174634_725.jpg
    IMG_20141106_174634_725.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20141106_174740_351.jpg
    IMG_20141106_174740_351.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the front driveshaft are you referring to the boot?
if so you can get the CV kit from driveshaftparts.com instead of a brand new driveshaft.

I just recently tried wipe new on the outside plastic trims, side mirrors, roof rails, etc.
Makes it look brand new.

Last edited:

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the front driveshaft are you referring to the boot?
if so you can get the CV kit from driveshaftparts.com instead of a brand new driveshaft.

Yea, I found the rebuild kits after placing the order. C'est la vie. Plus, it's my DD for two months so I can't really afford to take the Jeep out of service for too long and I don't trust myself on a CV rebuild quite yet...

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can still drive the jeep without the front driveshaft.

Yea, I'm just having my local shop do the major stuff on it because I don't have a lift or the comfort level yet working on major mechanical components. They are only open during the week and something about insurance liability taking parts like that off and letting me take the car while they redo the CV joint... no idea if it was BS or not. They've been pretty fair pricing wise and their work has been excellent. Putting any major work into a car with 170K is probably just a waste of money so only $200 extra because I'm impulsive isn't so bad lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way front driveshaft turns regardless if locked in or not , so while it may not of been " locked in" its being used all the time

Cabin air filter? There isn't one

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way front driveshaft turns regardless if locked in or not , so while it may not of been " locked in" its being used all the time

Cabin air filter? There isn't one

Thanks, appreciate the info. As for the air filter... well then. LOL Guess it needs that cleaning more than I thought.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm just having my local shop do the major stuff on it because I don't have a lift or the comfort level yet working on major mechanical components. They are only open during the week and something about insurance liability taking parts like that off and letting me take the car while they redo the CV joint... no idea if it was BS or not. They've been pretty fair pricing wise and their work has been excellent. Putting any major work into a car with 170K is probably just a waste of money so only $200 extra because I'm impulsive isn't so bad lol.

It literally takes no mechanic skill at all to replace the CV joint. I have no skills at all and did it pretty quick. I would not even remotely consider that to be a major mechanic ordeal at all though. Heck, If you got access to a random 10 year old kid, you could have them do it for you and save yourself the 10 minutes of work yourself even.

Something to keep in mind for the future since you'll probably have it happen again down the road. :icon_lol:

Last edited:

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK time for an update.

New head unit:
attachment.php

New wheelskins cover to go over the ****** vinyl:
attachment.php

Before filigree/pinstripe removal:
attachment.php

In process:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20141108_174938_027.jpg
    IMG_20141108_174938_027.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20141108_174953_968.jpg
    IMG_20141108_174953_968.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20141108_175504_443.jpg
    IMG_20141108_175504_443.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20141109_130424_358.jpg
    IMG_20141109_130424_358.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20141109_130431_262.jpg
    IMG_20141109_130431_262.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 84

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, went down to some 6 junkyards and they called down the row... not a single Liberty. Apparently they aren't super common and very popular projects down here. Oh well!

The driver seat with no adjustment and broken trim just isn't comfortable, so I ended up buying a Corbeau Baja RS to replace the driver side as it was the only bracket I could find without fabrication.

I'd probably do a lot more of these projects myself if I had the room/driveway, but living in an apartment for right now so stuck with using a lot of places.

Anyway, I removed all the junk to prep for a detail today (I don't think the cloth interior had been washed since it was purchased...):
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Unfortunately I got sick so didn't get as far as I wanted this weekend. I replaced the rear gas shocks for the door, but the hood wouldn't open! If you pull on the cable a bit you can shimmy it loose, so I'm guessing the cable is stretched, since it appears to be still connected to both ends. Another project for the future.

Hopefully next weekend will be new seat and seat covers project time. If I get the extra material in, I'll try and redo the cloth panels on the doors as well. I have the kit to redo the front headlights so that's on the list, too.

I've also decided I'll probably go Rustoleum bedliner (I prefer the finer more even grit) to redo the plastic fender flares and bumpers - but that might be a Thanksgiving weekend project.

Attachments

• IMG_20141109_130449_120.jpg
    IMG_20141109_130449_120.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20141109_170613_549.jpg
    IMG_20141109_170613_549.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20141109_170633_334.jpg
    IMG_20141109_170633_334.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 87

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would really reconsider using that bedliner , it fades bad. Buddy had done his front bumper on his Cherokee in May, looks white and chalky almost
But then if it was me no way would I do the handles etc anyways with any of it, bad idea