KJ newbie looking for some help with mods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on North Phoenix, Defiant, off L101.

Thanks for the info tommudd. I have seen similar stuff as well. As with any paint work, the key is preparation and thoroughness, though. Using the proper surface prep techniques, a good primer and most importantly several coats of sealant afterwords will fare a lot better.

I'm still considering just doing plasti dip as well, just in case I don't like it. A lot easier to apply and keep clean.

ANYWAY, brief mid-week update. Many things in the mail this week! I've removed half the old tint on the Jeep. The tint itself is childsplay with a clothing steamer, but the old glue is defying every degreaser I throw at it! I may just let the tint shop take care of it if I keep struggling, I'll probably spend as much in goo-gone as they will charge me since I'm sure they deal with it fairly often.

I just did a prototype of the new cloth inserts I'm working on. Forgive the lack of glue (pops out above the arm rest) and the fraying on the top (cut the prototype too small to begin with, woops). This is spacermesh, it's a fairly thin, very compressible foamy backing with the rings around it. I'm sure everyone's seen similar on gym bags, etc. Anyway I got new seat covers from CoverKing in red + black. It's easily the most breathable fabric so I chose this over anything heavier.

I think these are going to turn out just fine. I was sad to find out the foamy/cloth panel insert is rather... permanent, however it seems like the spacermesh fabric is so compressible that I can insert the edges with a small sculpting tool into the seams and make it look like a professional upholstery job!

Let me know what you think, I think it looks awesome with the contrast to the dark grey vs. the dated grey block texture now:

attachment.php

attachment.php

In the final version I'll definitely be using upholstery glue to keep it on the curves of the panel and from pulling out of the seams.

Attachments

• IMG_20141113_190103_218.jpg
    IMG_20141113_190103_218.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20141113_190125_172.jpg
    IMG_20141113_190125_172.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 104

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And... one door officially finished. Almost had a problem with the top and getting a perfect seam... until I realized the window gasket fits over it and I had taken it off! Instant problem fixer! This project was extremely easy overall... I will just need another 2-3 tubes of fabric glue before I'm done with it as there's a lot of coverage to get this thing on tight.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_075012_398.jpg
    IMG_20141115_075012_398.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 81

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure will. Hoping to finish all 4 door panels this weekend, but I got sidetracked by some other errands. That said I'm sick of back aches from the 'stuck' (broken recliner lever) driver seat in an uncomfortable position, so I'm currently working on tossing the replacement Corbeau Baja RS in there first.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW is the Baja RS a tight fit. Finally got it finished and installed. The grey plastic guard over the recline mechanism hits the bulge where the seat belt spools back up in. It has no other clearance problems, so it's very minor. I took a flashlight to the internals and nothing mechanical is even close to being compressed or rubbing, so it really shouldn't be a problem unless you move the seats back and forth constantly. If that's the case I'd probably look into the comparative width of the non-reclining Bajas.

Glad to be able to sit comfortably in the Jeep again though and the Corbeau bracket works wonders.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Update time!

Got sidetracked with pneumonia and work...

After testing the electric mirror control box, while I didn't bother to find a circuit diagram it didn't seem to be functioning properly so I ordered a replacement. After recent problems with the dome lights, I took a chance and ordered a new multifunction switch as well because the unit was binding up and I figured it needed to be replaced anyway. Well it was good news all around... the new mirror control switch popped in and worked right away, a bargain replacement at $25. Then on Thursday the dome lights started going crazy and wouldn't turn off. Fidgeting with the MFS collar that controls the interior lighting, I could finally tell it was this that was causing all the 'gremlins'. So I just replaced it today. Two T20 screws so an easy 5 minute job. Both work great.

Anyway onto the interior... It's almost complete. I am doing the last door panel (passenger front) right now. Here's two shots of the general idea of the interior with the CoverKing covers, Corbeau Baja RS, Wheelcraft steering wheel cover and everything:

attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks really good now. I also got in some WeatherTech mats for a good deal on Amazon (bought rear seats and cargo 'used' for about half price, turned out they were just in a tattered box...)

Everything seems to be coming together. I still have to find time to get the tint done and the new front driveshaft put on, though.

The Baja RS is still a tight fit, but boy is it worth it. It's so much fun driving around town with a suspension seat. I practically giggled going over the speed bumps where I live in it the first time. I wasn't expecting it to be that satisfying.

Attachments

• IMG_20141119_180002_436.jpg
    IMG_20141119_180002_436.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20141119_180021_858.jpg
    IMG_20141119_180021_858.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 60

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking nice with a "one of a kind" Liberty. :favorites13:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to be able to sit comfortably in the Jeep again though and the Corbeau bracket works wonders.

So, did you use the factory Jeep seat tracks, or did the Corbeau's come with their own? I got confused when you said the Corbeau bracket.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, did you use the factory Jeep seat tracks, or did the Corbeau's come with their own? I got confused when you said the Corbeau bracket.

They sell one for the KJ. It's really risers plus the rails, it replaces the entire seat base from the stock unit.

I'll try and take a few more photos tomorrow in the sun instead of just crowded in the garage. It looks pretty good, it really livens the interior up to get rid of all that old faded grey cloth. Hopefully I can find a nice Black Friday deal to replace the worn/mangled rims and get the tint done, I'll be set for awhile besides some maintenance stuff.

I tried removing the tint and while the tint itself comes off easily with a clothing steamer, the degreasers I have just don't do anything but let you swirl around the adhesive left on the window. Unfortunately the tint shop I like has limited weekend hours and wants to do it during the week to have time to get the junk off properly... so I'm pretty much SOL for right now until I get the new car in next month. Luckily it's winter though, so the sun isn't that bad.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell one for the KJ. It's really risers plus the rails, it replaces the entire seat base from the stock unit.

I'll try and take a few more photos tomorrow in the sun instead of just crowded in the garage. It looks pretty good, it really livens the interior up to get rid of all that old faded grey cloth. Hopefully I can find a nice Black Friday deal to replace the worn/mangled rims and get the tint done, I'll be set for awhile besides some maintenance stuff.

I tried removing the tint and while the tint itself comes off easily with a clothing steamer, the degreasers I have just don't do anything but let you swirl around the adhesive left on the window. Unfortunately the tint shop I like has limited weekend hours and wants to do it during the week to have time to get the junk off properly... so I'm pretty much SOL for right now until I get the new car in next month. Luckily it's winter though, so the sun isn't that bad.

Looking forward to pics. I love my Liberty, but not a fan of the hard leather seats. The gray Corbeau cloth/vinyl look like they would work excellent for us with the colors of our interior.

I feel your pain on the tint, been there myself and used 3m adhesive remover to get the glue off. Lacquer thinner should also work. Either way, it's a messy job with a lot of hazardous fumes. I haven't tried it, but have heard from several guys that you can get a black trash bag plastic, spray the old tint with Windex and lay black plastic on the inside of the glass in the sun. After a while, the sun heats the plastic and the tint will pull right off adhesive and all. There are a few youtube vids showing how to do it.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty some additional pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see in the last picture, different texture and light makes it look a bit off. It does all come together nicely though. The spacer mesh fabric is grippy but not overly scratchy to rest on. It isn't that rough, but if you have to slide your bare arm on the window sill all the time for some reason, it might get obnoxious.

The only other thing is that fabric glue tends to darken lighter fabrics (apparently) so there's some shaded areas in the back layer of the mesh that are a bit different. I think some of it I can take out with cleaning (some glue matter on top of the fabric) but it will be there permanently. You can only really notice it in bright daylight as is, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20141123_170107_775.jpg
    IMG_20141123_170107_775.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20141123_170117_674.jpg
    IMG_20141123_170117_674.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20141123_170201_066.jpg
    IMG_20141123_170201_066.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20141123_170240_017.jpg
    IMG_20141123_170240_017.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job! Did you pony up the extra $$$ for the lumbar bladders? If not, is there good support without them? I am seriously looking at getting these seats. I will miss the heated feature of the ones I have now, but the cloth/vinyl Corbeau's shouldn't be too bad in winter.

@libertytosay

Reaction score
G'day, folks! Brand new to the forum and a year and a half into owning my 06 KJ. I've been itching to get into some mods, but finding aftermarket support a little *****. Can anyone tell me (sure it's been asked before) if CJ headlights are the same size as KJ's? I'd kill to find a good set of projectors for it! My plans so far include a mild lift of 2.5-3", 17 or 18" Black Rock Viper rims, and dual 2.5" Flowmasters for the 3.7. Also I've got a nice system for tunes but the big ass box takes up a ton of room in the rear. Does anyone know if there is a space saver box available for KJ's? I know I'm kinda loaded with questions but any help would be seriously appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Great job! Did you pony up the extra $$$ for the lumbar bladders? If not, is there good support without them? I am seriously looking at getting these seats. I will miss the heated feature of the ones I have now, but the cloth/vinyl Corbeau's shouldn't be too bad in winter.
They are pretty good with out the bladders BUT really comfortable with them for sure
Installed a set of these in my friends KJ 6 years ago , comfortable but harder to get in and out I think

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
G'day, folks! Brand new to the forum and a year and a half into owning my 06 KJ.
I've been itching to get into some mods, but finding aftermarket support a little *****. ALL KINDS OF GREAT PARTS OUT THERE, JUST HAVE TO LOOK AROUND SOME

Can anyone tell me (sure it's been asked before) if CJ headlights are the same size as KJ's? CJ LIGHTS WILL NOT FIT A KJ DIFFERENT SIZE ALL TOGETHER I'd kill to find a good set of projectors for it!
My plans so far include a mild lift of 2.5-3", GO TO JEEPINBYAL.COM FOR LIFTS
17 or 18" Black Rock Viper rims, STICK WITH 16 INCH WHEELS, LIFTED 16X7 WITH 4 INCHES OF BACKSPACING WORKS BEST
and dual 2.5" Flowmasters for the 3.7. SAVE YOUR MONEY DUAL FLOWMASTERS WILL DO NOTHING AT ALL FOR YOU PLUS BE HARD TO GET A DUAL SETUP UNDER IT, REPLACE MUFFLER WITH MAGNAFLOW OR DYNAMAX , USE STOCK TAIL PIPE AND BE DONE

Also I've got a nice system for tunes but the big ass box takes up a ton of room in the rear. Does anyone know if there is a space saver box available for KJ's? I know I'm kinda loaded with questions but any help would be seriously appreciated.
THERE ARE SOME THOUGHTS FOR YOU

Good luck with your project
may I suggest doing some reading on what others have done and then have a better idea of what works and what doesn't
In Fall of 04 I spent the first 2 months on the forums just reading before I ever asked a question, that way I was informed enough to know what to ask