kj lift...confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you NEED to get the upper control arms with an iroman 1.5" lfit?

With the Ironman you will get 2.25 inches of lift, if you want more then you can add top plate and clevis but then yes you will need the JBA UCAs
Like mentioned above 245-75-16s is taking it to the edge of regearing 32s and you'll want to regear to at least 4.10s

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will want to stick with 245/75R16's. I'd say they are 30's 30-31 or so depending on the tread etc.

K thanks. Thinking about a set of Open Country c/t

With the Ironman you will get 2.25 inches of lift, if you want more then you can add top plate and clevis but then yes you will need the JBA UCAs
Like mentioned above 245-75-16s is taking it to the edge of regearing 32s and you'll want to regear to at least 4.10s

So I'd have to regear with 24-75-16s?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
K thanks. Thinking about a set of Open Country c/t

So I'd have to regear with 24-75-16s?

Many do regear with that size, but a lot don't either. You will lose mileage and power somewhat though so just know that going in.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with 245/75r16's and my mpg's dropped from 18 (combined city/hwy) to 15.5-16 (combined city/hwy) and that's with a gentle to moderate driving style. The power loss is noticeable but not crippling. I do a lot of city and mountainous driving and I would absolutely LOVE to regear.

Keep your eyes out for a set of diff's from a 4 cyl KJ - they came from the factory with 4.10's and are a direct bolt on/replacement.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rougly 700$ for parts to regear ?

Roughly around that price 700-800 for parts. I can't say about where you are but here installation can run $1,000 - 2,000. I forget what the cheapest I was quoted was now. Something like 800 an axle I beleive but I could be wrong. At the same time you will want to add lockers since it's open and you don't want to pay to have all that work done all over again a second time for the lockers. It would be cost effective to add in the cost of a set of lockers as well from the get go instead of doign them later.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to re-gear with mine. I miss my Jeep actually getting up and moving when I hit the gas.:icon_lol: