KJ Lift (Budget Custom) Sanity Check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
Ok so I am a Newbie to KJs but I have spent a week researching and reading to find the best bang for my buck lift. Would some of the experts mind checking that I have not completely messed up!

Bit of context: I am based in UK and the name brand kits here are expensive! However I have the benefit of an APO address so provided I can find a supplier for the parts listed below who will ship to APO then I will ship the stuff in from the US.

The Parts:
Front Struts: Gabriel or Tokico for Dodge Durango
Front Springs: OME790 (I have a (UK)2003 2.8CRD)
Bumpstops: Terraflex extended
Rear Springs: OME 948
Rear Shocks: Skyjackers
Bumpstops: 2xHockey Pucks

All I want is 2-2.5" of lift to get 30-31" rubber under the arches, while maintaining a reasonable degree of ride as the truck only goes off road for hunting purposes.

Does the above sound about right? Do I need to add any spacers etc? From my research the above should be enough and fairly level given I am using OME springs throughout?

Thanks in advance!!

BTW I can get this kit in the states for $518 going on current offers/prices (all from different suppliers) which I think is good value? :party52:

Last edited:

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
Forgot to say

If I keep under 2.5" and given that I am not "Off roading proper" am I right in thinking that a Diff and UJ change should not be needed?

Thanks
Dan

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a Newbie to KJs but I have spent a week researching and reading to find the best bang for my buck lift. Would some of the experts mind checking that I have not completely messed up!

Bit of context: I am based in UK and the name brand kits here are expensive! However I have the benefit of an APO address so provided I can find a supplier for the parts listed below who will ship to APO then I will ship the stuff in from the US.

The Parts:
Front Struts: Gabriel or Tokico for Dodge Durango
Front Springs: OME790 (I have a (UK)2003 2.8CRD)
Bumpstops: Terraflex extended
Rear Springs: OME 948
Rear Shocks: Rancho RS5000 Ext Length
Bumpstops: 2xHockey Pucks

All I want is 2-2.5" of lift to get 30-31" rubber under the arches, while maintaining a reasonable degree of ride as the truck only goes off road for hunting purposes.

Does the above sound about right? Do I need to add any spacers etc? From my research the above should be enough and fairly level given I am using OME springs throughout?

Thanks in advance!!

BTW I can get this kit in the states for $538 going on current offers/prices (all from different suppliers) which I think is good value? :party52:

Front shocks are wrong, just get them for the KJ , personally wouldn't run those shocks but whatever you like I guess.
Rear shocks would be ones for a 1998-2004 Dodge Dakota 4 wheel drive , Rancho RS line is bottom of the line and not that good either really.
You get what you pay for good luck, I would just buy better shocks especially since you have a heavier CRD engine

Last edited:

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
Front shocks are wrong, just get them for the KJ , personally wouldn't run those shocks but whatever you like I guess.
Rear shocks would be ones for a 1998-2004 Dodge Dakota 4 wheel drive , Rancho RS line is bottom of the line and not that good either really.
You get what you pay for good luck, I would just buy better shocks especially since you have a heavier CRD engine

Tommud - thanks, I am not emotional about the parts at all I was simply pulling together suggestions and ideas from various threads and forums. I am aware from other posts that you have been really helpful to other hapless novices such as myself. While I am looking for a budget option I do not want to put cr&p on my truck because it is cheap!

If the cheapest option is OME then so be it, but I was trying to get a good standard while saving a little here and there. Also not everyone ships to APO which is a big factor. Rusty want $260 to ship to the their strut kit to the UK (not that I am going to get that one now), where as my buddy had a full exhaust system for his JK shipped to APO by another supplier from back home.

How does this sound? OME Springs, Skyjacker shocks and struts with the usual bumpstop solutions. Do I need plates to ensure the front is level at 2 1/4"?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
check shockwarehouse not sure but I think they ship overseas.
I would try and stick with Bilsteins at least for shocks. Then Ironman and OME of course, they are all proven to work well. KYB is another one that one of the guys from Spain ran on a CRD for a while.
You should be able to find most of those through suppliers over there I would think

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
tommudd, awesome thanks. Would KYB gas-a-just rear shocks (98 Dakota 4wd) and KJ Gas-a-just KYB front struts be ok? I have found some at a good price that ship to APO. thanks

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
I thik I have the basic kit planned, what about spacers/ISOs etc

Thanks for responding guys.

So here is the revised build spec if someone Tommudd? wouldnt mind giving it the once over.

Again I am only looking for 2-3" lift to get my 265/75/16 MTs under. The truck will be 70/30 on/off road but the offroad I would describe as "light" as the vehicle is used for deer stalking and othe shooting related funstions. Budegt is a consideration but I dont want to go with a spacer kit as i would like to atleast retain some comfort in the ride and improve offroad capability.

So, this is my plan:

Rear
OME Rear 948 Coils
KYB twin-tube gas Excel-G 344081 Shocks (Durango)
2x Hockey Puck Bump Stops

Front
OME HD 790 Coils (I have a 2.8 CRD)
KYB twin-tube gas Excel-G 331017 Struts (Liberty)
JBA Skyjacker Bumpstops

Firstly can anyone see a problem with this setup? I have read a lot on the KYBs and they seem to have good reviews in terms of ride and life.

Secondly, should I also use strut rings/spacers/conduits/isos etc? I do not want to go higher than the stock UJs and my stock Diff can take.

Thanks again,

Dan

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use 265-75-16s stay with 245-75-16s , first going to kill power and mileage and second going to be a tight fit with only 2.5 or so inches of lift

Also there isn't any Skyjacker bumpstops for the front, only Teraflx

Last edited:

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about mounting the hockey pucks. Is it better to run the bolt in from the top and have the nut at the bottom or the other way around? I know I have seen it else where in a search but what is the proper bolt to use? Thanks

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nut on the bottom. Use stainless steel nut and bolts. You would play heck trying to get the bolt in from the bottom.

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
I wouldn't use 265-75-16s stay with 245-75-16s , first going to kill power and mileage and second going to be a tight fit with only 2.5 or so inches of lift

Also there isn't any Skyjacker bumpstops for the front, only Teraflx

Doh! 4x265/75/16 kingpin extera MTs were delivered this morning :-( it seemed to be the tyre of choice on other threads. I am starting to think this is going to be costly!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your tire availability is like over there, but I wouldn't run retreads on my Jeep, which is what Kingpin Tyres are.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Treadwright retreads do great on my KJ - not sure if this Kingpin is comparable. Downside to new is that the compound seems softer, so they wear faster... and as they wear, they become louder.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the reviews I've read, they are a hard rubber compound and don't do well on dry and wet roads, as well as being skiddish in the turns. They might do well in the mud, which is what these MT tires are primarily made for, not the road so much. 80/20 off/on road according to them.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Can some one comment on the OP wanting to use FRONT- KYB twin-tube gas Excel-G 331017 Struts
Would this work for a lifted KJ? Using the 790 coils?

In the rear I added a jeep rubber pad know as an ISO or isolator in the rear as well.
50765[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the teraflex bump stop part # as well. #1903200 sold individually
50767[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 04JeepKJRearLiftSetUp.jpg
    04JeepKJRearLiftSetUp.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TeraflexPartNumberJeepKJ.jpg
    TeraflexPartNumberJeepKJ.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doh! 4x265/75/16 kingpin extera MTs were delivered this morning :-( it seemed to be the tyre of choice on other threads. I am starting to think this is going to be costly!

Haven't mounted them yet have you? Send them back :shrug:

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
tommudd - I have managed to go one better and re-sold them for a 50% profit!

So in summary. In a balance of cost and performance and availability in the UK I have the following spec to propose. Just to be clear I know OME is the best option but it is also £1000 in the UK. This setup is only £372 delivered!

H+R springs 40mm+ £190 set of four
Monroe 71577 Gas Variable Valve Struts £90 pair
Monroe 58369 Gas Variable Load Adjust Rear Shocks £92 pair

I will also fit the double puck bump stop solution to the rear.

Last few questions: What model Terraflex Front Bump Stop should I get?

Is it worth me putting a couple of ISOs in either side at the back and 3/8 spacers on the front?

Thanks again everyone and Tommud

CRDALLTHEWAY

Reaction score
Hey there guys ! I have an 06 liberty crd and was wondering what the best company to purchase a lift from I live in Ontario Canada and didn't know if I have to order from the states or not ? Thanks a lot !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
tommudd - I have managed to go one better and re-sold them for a 50% profit!

So in summary. In a balance of cost and performance and availability in the UK I have the following spec to propose. Just to be clear I know OME is the best option but it is also £1000 in the UK. This setup is only £372 delivered!

H+R springs 40mm+ £190 set of four
Monroe 71577 Gas Variable Valve Struts £90 pair
Monroe 58369 Gas Variable Load Adjust Rear Shocks £92 pair

I will also fit the double puck bump stop solution to the rear.

Last few questions: What model Terraflex Front Bump Stop should I get?

Is it worth me putting a couple of ISOs in either side at the back and 3/8 spacers on the front?

Thanks again everyone and Tommud

Not sure what those H&R springs are rated at, make sure they will hold the weight of the CRD, 790s are rated at 500 lb. The front bumpstops are just the ones for a KJ, all the same no matter what year