kj knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

possumshole

Reaction score
a cold start up the 3.7 sounds like a diesel until it warms up then runs fine but it has a small knock any ideas would be helpful

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a cold start up the 3.7 sounds like a diesel until it warms up then runs fine but it has a small knock any ideas would be helpful

Have a video so we can hear? Slight engine knock is normal in the cold with these, but normally only during startup.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
HA HA HA.....so i got my 3.7 secondhand.

Noticed a small tick sound about 4 months later and then one day it sounded like the south had risen again. So we changed the lifter as thats what it sounded like. Well it wasn't. So we took off the heads cause we thought it was the valve seats. well it wasnt that either. so we replaced the head gaskets and did the heads seen as they were off. Well the noise got worse. this time it sounded like a mother in law bitchen like a diesel Massey furgesen.

So we figured it must be the bottom end of things and possible a piston or gugen pin or hey a broken or bent rod or well it has run bearings.

HA HA HA HA HA HA... so it was about to go back to the shop to have the bottem torn out and.............

CLUCK! it stalled and i saw it's soul rise from under the hood to go to the pearly gates of car heaven.

Well this time it broke the right hand side timing chain The side the noise was most prevelant. snapped the thing into pieces. And upon removing the engine and taking the FPS apart the left chain also started to show signs of breakage.

It seems the chain was poked. So now we are on a mission to replace the chain and guides it ate up.

But hey im not saying you have the same issue. Just what i found on mine. And PS its an 03 with 126 000 km .... Go figure man.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have NEVER heard of a timing chain snapping on one of these things!!! Usually they outlast the life of the engine!

MICHIGAN_LIBERTY

Reaction score
MINE TOO, Sounds like a lifter. But I do not think that it is. While I was having the Trans pulled to replace leaking rear freeze plug, My brother swore it sounded from the bottom end. Interesting read. Now it has me thinking. 177,000 miles by the way. Been doing it for about 77,000 of those!

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
Ya well . Like i say it sounded like a lifter so we did the lifters...... well it was still there. so we did the heads and that wasn't the problem. So we wanted to pull the motor and do the bottom end well..................

Ya it started and ran for about 3 mins and then died.

You must be registered for see images attach

possumshole

Reaction score
ok i figured that one out but now it has a random pinging noise a tech told me that the cam retainer can sheer off i going to check that any other idea would help