KJ jerking on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2004 KJ which needed a new engine. I found a used one locally and it put in. The Jeep turns over and drives but it jerks ridiculously when you accelerate usually around 20mph, or 45mph. Eventually it stops and drives smooth, but I need to fix this. I noticed when I floor it the Jeep doesn't do anything at all. I had a guy from Auto Zone run a diagnostic on it, and the machine kicked back 15 errors. I was wondering if there were any particular issues I could check for directly while I research these error codes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What all codes did it throw?
Instead of us guessing let us know what those are so possibly we can help

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the codes

P0325 (2)
P0330 (1)
P0172 (1)
P0456 (1)
P0113
P0158
P0340 (2)
P0032
P0108
P0123 (1)

Dang, you've got a bit of everything there. Have you just tried to clear them? All kinds of sensor errors. You've got knock, O2, cam etc. Did you double check that all the connectors were clean including the the PCM connector? Are all the vac tubes connected and intact? What year engine did you put in this 04?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The engine you got what year and what was it from?
Did you move the sensors from your old jeep engine over at all? or...

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
Dang, you've got a bit of everything there. Have you just tried to clear them? All kinds of sensor errors. You've got knock, O2, cam etc. Did you double check that all the connectors were clean including the the PCM connector? Are all the vac tubes connected and intact? What year engine did you put in this 04?

The Auto Zone guy didn't clear them. I wasn't the one that dropped the engine in there so all of what you're saying is new to me but if it's something I can do myself then please inform me. It's a 2004 engine.

The engine you got what year and what was it from?
Did you move the sensors from your old jeep engine over at all? or...

I think the mechanic may have used some of the old sensors. Again, it's a 2004 engine in a 2004 Liberty.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it back to the guy who did the work and tell him what you told us...he needs to make good on his engine job....

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what twowings said. That's a lot of error codes that the mechanic who put the engine in should take care of. Either things aren't hooked up correctly, you have some bad sensors in there, or this 'new' engine isn't in that good of shape.

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
Take it back to the guy who did the work and tell him what you told us...he needs to make good on his engine job....

Yeah, what twowings said. That's a lot of error codes that the mechanic who put the engine in should take care of. Either things aren't hooked up correctly, you have some bad sensors in there, or this 'new' engine isn't in that good of shape.

Okay. I see the mechanic literally almost every day. I'll relay this information over to him. Thanks guys :waytogo:

Latest posts

Members online