KJ hits deer... or is that deer hits KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning a deer committed suicide. Could this have had something to do with my pro-hunting rant yesterday?! #-o

Well my wife was driving to work, it was dark, two lane country road, and she hit the deer while traveling about 53 mph. She's fine... our poor KJ has suffered some damage. I guess the deer ran across the road from the opposite side. On the first photo, the "red 1" shows that the front panel is pushed back. It should line up with the light as seen in the second photo of the opposite side. The "red 2" shows the bumper cover that is toast. The "red 3" shows where the deer also scuffed the bumper (we figure that that is where he lost is load?!).

So I just got back from getting several estimates. The first shop definitely works with soccer moms. Wood floors in the waiting room with a secretary... nice place! The guy (I would say in his early-thirties) looks at it and just says that the bumper cover and light need replacing and painting. He asked me if I wanted for him to order the parts, he estimated about a $1,000. I hadn't really looked at it myself, so I hadn't noticed that the front panel was pushed back. Neither did he! I thought that I should get a second opinion, so I took it to another local shop, "Greg's Body Shop." Greg is an old guy, much like my father-in-law who also owns a shop in Denver. His office is a bit dust and smells like an auto body shop. This guy has been doing auto body for years and seems like a good guy. He right away noticed the extra damage then just the bumper cover and light. So he's the man. He said that he's probably going to paint a lot of the front, excluding the hood so that everything looks like it was never repaired.

Now I just need for my insurance company to fax him permission to order the parts. He's thinking more like $1500. Since this is an "act of God", comprehensive is picking it up, so it will not effect my rates and I have to pay the $500 deductible. It probably won't be until early next week before he has the parts in and time to do it. Then two to three days in the shop.

Too bad that we didn't get the meat!

I'll keep everyone posted...

You must be registered for see images

Good side:

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
sorry to hear dude, glad your wife is ok.
the speed was pretty fast, it's also good to see that the KJ didnt suffer too big of a damage.

again, it's just better that your wife is ok, and the kj only suffered slightly, cant say much about the deer.....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I feel your pain. I did the same thing back in September only I was going about ten mph faster and did another thousand dollars or so in damage. It took a full three weeks after it happened before I had it back good as new. Oh well. I didn't get to keep my meat either ](*,)

flyingpylon

Reaction score
Ouch! That bites. But for hitting a deer, that's pretty light damage. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Sounds like you're all set for a body shop, but I've had good luck with Fishers Collision Center near 126th & Hwy 37 (though that would be across town for you).

2003KJ

Reaction score
damn grogie!

What is it with Deer and KJ's!?!?!? I was hit by one in almost the same conditions, dark, 2 lane country road, runnin about 55mph. Only I had enough time to lock up all four brakes (now my tires are slightly flat spotted, but oh well), and listen to him make that god awful THUD in the side of my KJ. Don't know what happened to him, as I nailed it to get away from the bottom of the hill I was sitting at, before I got rear ended.

This is all it did. Just a little scuff that I took out the next day. Not nearly the damage that happened to others including you that have had run-in's with them. As Jon said, the important thing is your wife is OK. The KJ is certainly fixable. This isn't going to make the record of your KJ a "wrecked vehicle" is it?

just a tiny scuff mark, but a hell of a thud.....enough that it sook the jeep.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I often hear stories of "the deer freaked, jumped and came right through the windshield". Everytime someone here posts something about hitting a deer, as I click the message and wait for it to load, I get this bad feeling. [-o< Glad to hear that your wife is unhurt and hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grogiefrog.....where does your father-in-law do auto work in Denver? Business name? Is he experienced with Jeeps (particularly KJ's)?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Yes it was too bad. Just broke 5k last weekend! My favorite angle of the KJ is the front end. Oh well... it should be back in shape. Something tells me that knowing a good local body man may come in handy.

Joe, I sent you a PM.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went out and sprayed down the KJ today. Almost got all of the deer hair out of the cracks on the bumper... Yuk! Well, I am suppose to drop her off Monday or Tuesday, as soon as the owner is done with his current projects. This is no joke, but the old guy does all the local painting for Tony Stewart for one (I'm just north of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway). But anyway, I had forgotten that my wife and I have a three day road trip planned to the southern part of the state. Dang! If I drop off the KJ, that means no KJ for the trip! Will have to wait a week...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ went to the shop today!

She is expected back Wednesday or Thursday. I am crossing my fingers that it looks as good as before the deer... :-s

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about mine looking as good as well. I shouldn't have worried so much, it looked as good as new. I hope that yours does as well. Keep us posted.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday afternoon I go to pickup my KJ. She looked good! The paint matched perfect, looked just like she did before the deer... that is until close inspection. On the top of the bumper near where it meets the fender there was a small scratch and then where it looks like there was a bubble of paint that popped, leaving a small crater. I couldn't believe that they would let that go. I showed the guy that problem. He said that the thought that the scratch could buff out, but obviously not the crater!

If anyone tells you that they can buff out a scratch, don't believe them. All that they do is remove the clear coat and then the paint will fade first before anywhere else. Buffing doesn't work in the long run!!

So then upon looking over the rest of the bumper I noticed several two inch scratches on the right side, like it rubbed up against something! I couldn't believe it! I reminded him that this is a brand new vehicle and that won't work. He claimed that his assistant put the bumper on and must have scratched it. No doubt! Dang, this is insurance work which pays well and is easy for them.

So I might have her back Tuesday afternoon, providing I don't find something else. I am so disappointed. Last night I drank heavy and went to bed early. frown.gif