KJ ground clearance - to skid plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

palla

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am on the verge of getting my 2.5" OME lift and I am taking some before measurements, I have measured the minimum to be approx 150mm at the front bash plate (somewhere around the front diff). I was browsing the Aust jeep web page & they recon its (At kerb weight, Cherokee {Liberty for you blokes} delivers an impressive 221mm of ground clearance (to skidplate, where fitted), )

http://www.jeep.com.au/jeep_au_main...0-1-0-0-0-0-0-555-65816-0-0-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

I think it will be that once the lift is fitted, either there is some false advertising going on here or my 7 month old KJ with 6000Km on it has a serious sag problem.

It has stock 235/70/16s SR-As, if it actually had that much clearance I prolly wouldnt be fitting the lift, if there are any KJers out there still with stock suspension can you put some measurements in (metric if you can)

Palla

raceinfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get some measurements for ya but it's pouring outside,I do know mid 2002 KJ's they did lower them for safety reasons I have an 04 with stock suspention & full skids & when wheelin there is quite a bit of banging,but with a lift there should be none or just a little depending on terrain

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before lift, my 2003 KJ Renegade measured roughly 170mm at the lowest point of the front skid plate with the 235/70/16 SR/As.

After the lift, I have roughly 210mm at the same point.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
priell3 said:
Before lift, my 2003 KJ Renegade measured roughly 170mm at the lowest point of the front skid plate with the 235/70/16 SR/As.
Same here, 168mm at lowest point. Had to remove a bit of mud from my last off-pavement trip before I could get a good measurement.

palla

Reaction score
So I find this interesting at the least, where is DC getting the 'impressive 221mm to skid plate where fitted' from? Is there similar claims in the US of ground clearance? Is it the same claimed height?

Palla

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
palla said:
So I find this interesting at the least, where is DC getting the 'impressive 221mm to skid plate where fitted' from? Is there similar claims in the US of ground clearance? Is it the same claimed height?

Palla

Yup similar claims. Maybe they are measuring in a different place. Just lift it and add tires, then you can get 10-10.5" under that skid. Also, just FYI my OME lift didn't give me anyway near 2.5" more like 1.25", but gave 2.5" in the rear. So I've since added spacer in the front to level her out.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do u get the ome lift? Im looking into a lift but didnt want the full 2.5in, maybe around 1-2in, like u said u got from the ome.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
palla said:
Eddo,

What size spacer did you go in the front? have you had any vibration/other probs since the spacer went in?

Palla

Well just basically an over the top strut spacer and some clevis lift for now until I get a daystar 1.5" spacer in there. No vibes at all and everything rides well.