KJ general discussion 03 3.7L V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthernGuy93

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and about to make some costly investments into Cv shafts and Ball joint kits for both left and right. And also some upper control arms and lower control arms. My Jeep is currently clunking in right front. I’m new to Jeep. Not sure what’s really making the noise. Thanks in advance.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, new here myself. I’ve been poking around in the forums, and one of the mods was saying that if the differential bushings are worn, that can make a clunking sound. It might be worth taking a look.

NorthernGuy93

Reaction score
Maybe I should bring it in to the shop here in town and ask them to service my car and met me know what I need. I just bought brand new tires for it but I need other parts.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I went to the dealer and paid them to find out what all needed doing. Now I’m shopping around and getting more reasonable prices for the work. Some of it I can defer, a little of it I can do myself.

NorthernGuy93

Reaction score
Yeah. I am waiting on a call for shop time for my tires and oils changed. Engine and trans oils. Got both filters too. I need more bigger tools to try myself. Shop it is and find out what I need more.

Reactions: klc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and about to make some costly investments into Cv shafts and Ball joint kits for both left and right. And also some upper control arms and lower control arms. My Jeep is currently clunking in right front. I’m new to Jeep. Not sure what’s really making the noise. Thanks in advance.
Make sure you buy the right parts
For instance many new owners go " cheap " and buy say Detroit Axle junk and then a few months down the road have to do it again
Only use Moog greaseable lower ball joints
NGK copper spark plugs
Mopar thermostat
HOAT coolant etc
CV replacement , NAPA remanufactured , work great , just turn old ones in
If replacing right side CV in front also install new Intermediate shaft as well since they wear together
Front driveshaft can be rebuilt on the cheap and works great when boot on the shaft wears out and CV goes bad
Cheap parts are expensive in the end if you are wanting to keep your KJ alive for more than a few months
And if you are on Facebook , chose wisely and check back here in what you read , so much B S information on there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I am waiting on a call for shop time for my tires and oils changed. Engine and trans oils. Got both filters too. I need more bigger tools to try myself. Shop it is and find out what I need more.
Oil change etc does not require " bigger tools " unless all you have is a 10 MM socket and a screwdriver

NorthernGuy93

Reaction score
I already did an oil change on it. But I don’t have the time and day to do it right now. Only few hour day light and I need answers on what I need also. I’m bringing it in soon to the repair shop.

NorthernGuy93

Reaction score
Make sure you buy the right parts
For instance many new owners go " cheap " and buy say Detroit Axle junk and then a few months down the road have to do it again
Only use Moog greaseable lower ball joints
NGK copper spark plugs
Mopar thermostat
HOAT coolant etc
CV replacement , NAPA remanufactured , work great , just turn old ones in
If replacing right side CV in front also install new Intermediate shaft as well since they wear together
Front driveshaft can be rebuilt on the cheap and works great when boot on the shaft wears out and CV goes bad
Cheap parts are expensive in the end if you are wanting to keep your KJ alive for more than a few months
And if you are on Facebook , chose wisely and check back here in what you read , so much B S information on there
Okay thanks man. What company can I get upper and lower control arms from? I’m in northern Canada right now.

michael mehle

Funky Clunky Liberty
Reaction score
My 07 liberty clunked like crazy in the front. Replace the bushings in sway bar. Mine is like new.

gayle.woods

Reaction score
I just did mine this winter. I would suggest getting the two lower cam bolts for each side of the lower control arms. I was able to get three of mine out but is was a pain. One would not come out and I had to use a reciprocating saw to cut it out. The upper control arms are fairly easy. Remove the air box on the passenger side and battery tray on the driver side.
After installation make sure to put the jeep on the ground to obtain normal ride height before tightening the upper, lower and sway bar mounting bolts. Then head to the alignment shop.

Latest posts

Members online