KJ gas Mileage better than a Honda's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it is very true! my uncle has a honda CRV. he used his and i used mine on a trip from northeast pa to georgia. he had to fill up more times than me. i asked how many gallons his tank holds and he says about 20. when i would be at half a tank he would have less than a quarters worth left. i averaged about 20-21 mpg averaging about 70 mph in speed and this was carrying 3 people including myself, a grill guard, 2 12" subs, 2 dry cell deep cycle batteries, and 4 people's luggage and some other heavy equipment taking up half the rear seat. he had 4 people in his CRV and luggage for 3 people and nothing else really. he had just gotten a tune up and it is fully broken in and has been on long trips before.

I only changed the oil before leaving. i figure it is because of the lack of power from honda's low torque engine. anyone else have any ideas on why the Honda couldn't get as good gas mileage as a jeep? i loved to rub it into my other uncle's face, he works for a honda dealership lol. he tried tellign me it wasnt broken in and that hondas are the number one rated vehicle in all classes and that people buy them for their efficiency not for jeeping. he said the efficiency part after trying to argue with me about how his CRV can do whatever the libby can do. it felt good for once i got to diss his beloved honda after hearing so much crap from him about how much greater honda is than anything else especially jeeps.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, did he ever figure up his mileage? If its not getting over 20mpg then something is wrong with it... If you had a crd, you could rub it in his face even more. \:D/

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the gas mileage hard to believe, but that CRV wouldn't get past the trailhead.

I've got a Civic that gets 38mpg doing 70 with the A/C crankin'!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
figure that 4 ****** w/ all that weight cant handle the load....

Good point. Yeah, and don't take a CRV off of paved road... LOL

I use to have a Civic... it was nice for the MPG... but we traded it in for the KJ. Good trade in my book!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually looked at getting an older CR-V as economical around town car. However, I was supprized when it was only rated for 22-25.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
I actually looked at getting an older CR-V as economical around town car. However, I was supprized when it was only rated for 22-25.

Well, NM, i was wrong. :-s I guess the weight got the best of it. 8-[

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who can read vehicle specs will realize that the CRV and KJ are not even remotely comparable.....like comparing a poodle to a pit-bull. They both have 4 legs but they're not the same...........................

I'd say you are correct. That little 4 ****** had to work it's little tail off at highway speeds while the KJ was just taking a leisurely stroll.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
according to edmunds any crv built from when they where first produced until now have had a 15.3 gallon tank

Seanpr123

Reaction score
especko said:
according to edmunds any crv built from when they where first produced until now have had a 15.3 gallon tank

lol, we'll there ya go

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked with a guy who owned an early CRV. He consistently got 17mpg and that was mostly him driving alone.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I don't think a civic would be as capable off road as a kj, and as I understand it the crv has the same engine and frame as a civic.

We thought about acrv, but wanted the ruggedness and capability that, in my opinion only the kj has.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only believe that the KJ is the only ruggid / versatile suv that is not bad in price nor lacking qualities of both on road and off road capabilities.

I was looking into the CRV's as well. But left them immediatley when I saw the KJ.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I can only believe that the KJ is the only ruggid / versatile suv that is not bad in price nor lacking qualities of both on road and off road capabilities.

I was looking into the CRV's as well. But left them immediatley when I saw the KJ.

Damn right!

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this thread has turned gay. Sure, the CRV isn't a trail rig, especially with it's IRS. The KJ in it's stock, barely able to crawl a curb form isn't much better. You've got to throw a ton of money at a Liberty to turn it into a moderately capable trail rig.