KJ 2.4L longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danakin

Reaction score
So from trolling around here it would seem I've bought one of the only two Liberties with the 2.4L 4 ******. Lol! Seriously though, I got it because it was a cheap four that is better on gas than my 3/4 ton that was my daily driver. I found a 2004 2.4 2wd with 5 speed manual with 150,000 miles. Paint is shot but the interior is perfect and she runs great. Has a new clutch, pressure plate, etc. No rust no dents. Everything except the rear windows works. My plan is to quickly do a cooling system flush, replace the thermostat and temperature sensor with Mopar (yep I got the 0128 light). Do an engine flush, go to synthetic oil, replace oil pressure sensor (also got 0522 light but she purrs like a kitten and temperature is perfect). New plugs and tint the windows because dang! That's a big ole greenhouse. My question is, what is the expected longevity of these Jeeps? I hope it lasts forever! I have actually fallen in love with the little bugger!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it has had a good life up till now should run a long time
That is if regular maintenance was done
two that I have sitting here one has 83000 and other has 90some thousand
One I just picked up the front and rear diffs , owner already pulled them for me, had 156,000
I just buy them for the diffs
But two were blown, one overheated

Danakin

Reaction score
WOW! In my first post I used a completely harmless term for a four cylinder engine that people have used my entire life that means absolutely nothing but that when a spark plug fires and ignites the fuel air mixture it produces an audible bang which causes thrust. My particular engine has four of these cylinders that go bang and the mods see fit to asterisk out the word. The more I troll around here the more I see stuff blanked out. It's just silly and aggravating to think we can't have a conversation here without this kind of nonsense! If this is what this forum is like I think I'll be leaving as fast as I started here!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, it’s not the mods doing it, it’s the platform. We pretty much laugh it off, 95% of the time. Stick around because there is some really good knowledge and some good folks here. Here is a thread where we vent our frustration about the word censorship, LOL.

Danakin

Reaction score
Ha ha, it’s not the mods doing it, it’s the platform. We pretty much laugh it off, 95% of the time. Stick around because there is some really good knowledge and some good folks here. Here is a thread where we vent our frustration about the word censorship, LOL.

Thanks for that. I vented a little bit there. Just frustrating to think of the underlying message it sends about the state of things. I'll give it a chance.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Danakin, how are you liking the 4 cylinder KJ now that you've had it for a while? Any limitations imposed by the small engine? How is the fuel economy?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel economy is usually worse than the 6 gassers
thats from experience knowing a few folks personally and on here and what they report
Had one bloke go with us wheeling down in Kentucky
driving from Northwest Ohio down to DB National Forest we did more waiting for him to catch up that anything else

Danakin

Reaction score
Hi Danakin, how are you liking the 4 cylinder KJ now that you've had it for a while? Any limitations imposed by the small engine? How is the fuel economy?
Hey, I'm loving it! No issues using it as a dd to work. It's rwd so no off roading. It was nothing more than a car that I don't have to fall into and pull myself up out of. I'm consistently getting 24mpg. That's double what I get from my Titan XD I was driving to work every day. I've flushed the cooling system and used proper coolant, Replaced thermostat, temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, oil change with Mobile 1 full syn high mileage, did a little paint correction and a good interior detail. It's certainly no race car but I'm totally happy with the 4 cylinder and the mpg's for my purposes. I don't drive on the interstate so 60mph is all I ask of it and it doesn't protest. I'm about to replace some suspension components, the timing belt, pulleys and water pump. I don't see why I wouldn't get 250,000 miles out of it as long as they continue selling gasoline that long.

Latest posts

Members online