keyless entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that the OP's 2003 has the 45RFE ****** it is a very early 2003 model. Does it fall in the "neverland" category? A model year mutant with some '02 options mixed with '03 standard features?

Bob
It could as there are some '02's without 3 key holes.'02 and '03 was a couple of screwy years for Chrysler with throwing together vehicles withever they had laying around.GM was the same way those years as well as it is a crap-shoot as to what brakes they come with(there are 6 different combo's).

blackvyper

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to increase the range of the keyless remote? Depending on my surroundings I have to be within 20 feet or so to unlock it. The batteries are new.. it's not a serious issue but I just wanted to be able to unlock it farther away.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to extend the range, but my remote works up to about 60' away just to give you a reference point.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i got a remote online for 20 dollars and finally got a chance and went to the dealership got it programmed for 34 dollars now i have keyless :happy107:

knowing this i got an EVIC for 20 bucks installed it and it worksmj.gif

thank to everyone for their replys

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Missing keyfob here too

My 02' has key holes on all doors. The build sheet "says' it has keyless entry. I bought mine used, and got no keyfob with it. So I guess I'm out of luck too...
Also, the build sheet says it has a lighted ashtray and 2nd row buckets, power fold tumble. But my Jeep doesn't seem to have them. Just my 2 cents anyway...

oldtomjeep

Reaction score
Well, now that the thread has been resurrected, maybe I can hijack it to ask what is an EVIC?

I've seen it mentioned, but it's a new term to me. The reason I ask is that my keyless remote is very erratic. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it will NOT work for days or weeks at time, then it works again.

Any thoughts to suggest?

Tom

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVIC = Electronic Vehicle Information Center

on the headboard, right behind the rear view mirror with the map lights.
Should tell you, MPG, TPMS info (some models), direction, etc

Change the batteries on your remote.

oldtomjeep

Reaction score
Thanks, but there's not one in this car. Have a mirror and a light but no EVIC.

The remote batteries are good, the car battery is new. I can lock the car with the remote and come back a few minutes later and get no response from the remote. Or the other way around; it's just totally random.

Somebody posted about losing the remote function when he changed out the radio. He got it back when he clipped a brown wire in the new harness. Sounds very strange, but it makes me wonder if my erratic radio function may be related.

Anybody have a clue where the receiver for the remote is located in the car?

We like the jeep, but it is really a strange beast..................

Tom

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, that really does sound like bad battery/corroded battery contacts.

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 02 I only received one chipped key. Front doors and rear hatch have key slots (rear hatch doesn't work, even though key moves freely in both directions). Took it to local Dodge dealer, new fob/remote was $80 for (1), keys were $35 for two(2) chipped keys, and labor to align them with vehicle was $27.50. Not cheap, but I thought it within reason.

Bob

oldtomjeep

Reaction score
Well, the update for this afternoon is that we went out this morning, and the locks would not respond for the first three stops. Then, the back window popped right open, no problem. Next stop, no, does not work.

We got the car in January and had to replace the battery with a new one within two months. Strong new battery, no corrosion, everything works great. But only sometimes. Good news is that the engine starts very easily every time.

We got only one remote/key with the car, and ordered two more and had them matched at the dealer. All worked fine.....most of the time.

Very strange. I wonder if there is something loose with the receiver for the remote. Anyone know where it's located?

Tom

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Jeep world. Bought 2005 Limited new and this problem been happening for years.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gremlins...

When you have strange things happen like the door locks acting up, check the grounds methodically. Get a wiring diagram, find them all, and one by one disconnect and clean them. Corroded/dirty grounds cause all types of problems.