keyless entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello i have a kj sport 03, i bought it used a couple of years ago and have always wonder if my jeep used to have a remote control for key-less entry than i never got because onle the driver door can be opened with the key, none of the other doors or rear gate has access for the key.

the key does not have a chip
jeep does not have otis or evic
jeep did not come with OEM fog lights

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm thats a good question. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong, but I believe without the EVIC you can't retrain new remotes. I know mine has a setting on the EVIC to do so. So it very well could have had one, but if you wanted to get a replacement I don't know if there is anywhere to reprogram it.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was factory build with just the driver's door having a keyhole, then it was factory built with keyless entry. You will need to go to the dealer (sorry) and have them program one or two (however may you want/need) for you. If the passenger door had been replaced at some point, then it may originally have had a keyhole.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've never seen any of these without the remote entry to be honest. The prior owner must have lost it or something. Stealership generally has to do this for you. But it might be worth checking this out:

2004 Jeep Liberty Keyless Remotes - Keyless Remote and Replacement Car Key Fobs

The site says that if you don't have at least one working remote, you have to go to the Stealership for it. :(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You have to have at least 2 remotes to program a third. You could request a build sheet from Chrysler to see if it has keyless.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it is unlikely that all 3 passenger doors + back gate had been replaced:shrug:

I think you misunderstood me. If your original front passenger door had been replaced at some point, the original handle may have had a keyhole. I didn't say a thing about the back doors.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's only the '02s that had that.
No it's standard for keyless entry from the factory to only have 1 keyhole to unlock the driver's door. Our '04 has it and I have seen base model newer ones without keyless with a keyhole in each door.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's standard for keyless entry from the factory to only have 1 keyhole to unlock the driver's door. Our '04 has it and I have seen base model newer ones without keyless with a keyhole in each door.

Interesting. I'm still like 90% positive that the '02s came with that second key hole, key-less entry or not. Just because my friend had one like that. In either case, this guy's gotta go to the stealership :( So much sadness.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm still like 90% positive that the '02s came with that second key hole, key-less entry or not. Just because my friend had one like that. In either case, this guy's gotta go to the stealership :( So much sadness.

My wife's 02 KJ had keyholes on both front doors and the tailgate. She also had keyless entry as well. We bought her's used. Her Jeep could have been a special build through b/c it had everything a limited model would have except the evic but it was a sport model. The KJ was also a "pre-lowered" KJ. I deciphered the VIN when we bought it and I believe it was built during the 2nd or 3rd month of production.

It is possible the previous owner could have simply tossed the remotes. At my job a lot of us have company vehicles and a lot of the older guys just get rid of the remotes and use keys only to open the door. i don't understand there logic :shrug:

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, the 02 MY had key holes on the passenger door and the tailgate as well as the drivers door as far as I know. After that they only came with a keyhole in the drivers door.

Yes, the OP needs to go to any jeep dealer and check the build sheet to see if his jeep has keyless entry from the factory and if so he will need 2 chipped keys since he doesn't have even one chipped key and have them programmed.

Dave

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got an e-mail from chrysler .. it is kind of confusing since at the top it says it is not equiped to work with keyless but down the list it says it does:think:
i guess i'll go to the "stealership" whenever i get a chance after all

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

According to our records, this vehicle is not equipped to work with
keyless entry.

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request for
your vehicle.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

N 1J4GL48K43W578861
Vehicle Description JEEP LIBERTY SPORT 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Model Year 2003
Body Model KJ J H 74

Sales Code Description
*M5 Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
-L5 Taupe
AHMP Convenience Group I
AJPP Power Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
A33P 3.7L Eng(EKG)/4Spd A/T 45RFE(DG4)
BAZS 136 Amp Alternator
BC2S 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRY Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
CF5S 2nd Row Buckets, Power Fold/Tumble
CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready
CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags**
CKDP Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CK3S Plastic Swing Gate Trim Panel
CLEP Front & Rear Floor Mats
CLHP Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CSWS Driver Assist Handle
CTLS Base Door Trim Panel
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DG4 Multi-Speed Auto 45RFE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMEP 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EKG 3.7L V6 Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEG Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEKS Flipper Swing Gate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GT9P Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
I43S Route 43 - Benecia, CA
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JJMP Auxiliary 12-Volt Rear Power Outlet
JPHP Speed Sensitive Power Locks
JPYP Pwr Windows, Front 1-Touch Down
KJSS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KLSS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KRSS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K3AS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LACP Illuminated Entry
LCDP Map/Dome Reading Lamps
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LHDS Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MDAS Front License Plate Bracket
MFKS Body Color Grille
MLCS Gray Fascias
MVCS Jeep Badge
MWGP Roof Rack
NAS 50 State Emissions
NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions
NF2S 18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHFS Power Steering Cooler
PRV Dk. Garnet Red Pearl Coat
QRVS Dk. Garnet Red Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RBK AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl
RCGS 6 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCDS Luxury Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBRS Outside Tire Carrier
TMXS P215/75R16 BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WKBS Matching Spare Wheel
WLCP 16X7.0 Lux Styled Steel Wheels
WLYC All Steel Wheels
XGGS Grocery Bag Hooks
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Nick

Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to have at least 2 remotes to program a third. You could request a build sheet from Chrysler to see if it has keyless.

that isnt right
that is for the keys with the micro chip in them
if you have one keyless entry (keyfob) you can program a bunch more it is in the owners manual

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm thats a good question. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong, but I believe without the EVIC you can't retrain new remotes. I know mine has a setting on the EVIC to do so. So it very well could have had one, but if you wanted to get a replacement I don't know if there is anywhere to reprogram it.

No evic here and have key holes in both front doors and rear swing gate with keyless entry,no special order either.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BCM has an extra module mounted on it for keyless entry.
The Body Control Module is mounted on the other side of the internal fuse panel.

Maybe you need to have a look to see if it is there and then you need to get some key jobs.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
OK to summarize this thread:

OP bought Jeep used, it's an '03, with only the driver's door having a keyhole. This means, 100% that the Jeep originally had keyless entry. If it did NOT have keyless entry, there would be keyholes on both front doors and the tailgate. For '03+ This is NOT common. The fobs likely wore out and broke over the years.

OP needs to go to the dealership, buy fobs and have them program the system for the new fobs.

'02s had keyholes in both front doors and tailgate regardless of keyless entry or not.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that the OP's 2003 has the 45RFE ****** it is a very early 2003 model. Does it fall in the "neverland" category? A model year mutant with some '02 options mixed with '03 standard features?

Bob

Members online

No members online now.