Key fob range.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have started to notice the range on my key fob getting worse and worse over the last week. I replaced the batteries in it and still no change. Yesterday the range was better but today the range is garbage. I was wondering where the sensor that picks up the key fob is located? I have also tried using my spare fob and it is the same exact range problem. Could the sensor be going bad? any ideas?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pretty much have to already be inside my Jeep to get both if mine to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centermass556

Reaction score
It's local area proximity jamming...

No in all actuality I bet it is an issue with the Wireless Control Module. And, If i remember correctly it is in the steerring column.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Hold the fob next to your head when you push the button.

Laugh now, but it works! :hat:

[YT]LYeXuM_xL1M[/YT]

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I could stand 50 feet away with ease, but today I had to be 4 feet away.
It can depend on a lot of different variables that can change day to day.

For me the OE remotes work 100'+ where I park at my apartment building,at work I have to be within 5' due to about 30 automatic doors in a 1000' radius.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed with mine, I can be 60ft away with no problems. When I get off work though, its about half that. I work afternoons at a gas station and get off between 8 pm and 10 pm. Somehow, mine works better with more vehicles around.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same environment with the jeep, and had it do the same thing. It stays parked next to a scion xa that does not have automatic doors, one day i can be in the doorway to the house and it works, the next day I have to be 5 feet away.The only difference the last 2 days was it rained. But half the day I had to be close and half the day I didn't.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually works. Been using that trick for 20 years.
I couldn't find the video where I first learned about this. It was some British guy who is a professor at a University over there. I figured it was a gag, I mean, the old guys from Monty Python have to have something to do, right?

Then I tried it, over and over again just to be sure. Of course, all my neighbors think I've lost it now that they've seen me wandering around the parking lot with my keys up to my noggin' making the lights flash on the Jeep. :rotflmao:

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find the video where I first learned about this. It was some British guy who is a professor at a University over there. I figured it was a gag, I mean, the old guys from Monty Python have to have something to do, right?

Then I tried it, over and over again just to be sure. Of course, all my neighbors think I've lost it now that they've seen me wandering around the parking lot with my keys up to my noggin' making the lights flash on the Jeep. :rotflmao:

We should send it to myth busters and find out why this works. And I could totally see a Monty Python gag like this.:happy175: