Key doesn't turn in the ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamileon

Reaction score
So last week I went to get into my KJ (02 limited) and when I put the key in the ignition it would not turn. So I took it out and put it back in and it turned. Now the problem is getting worse. Took me almost ten minutes to get it to turn this morning. Im going to take it apart this evening after work to have a look at it, but wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last week I went to get into my KJ (02 limited) and when I put the key in the ignition it would not turn. So I took it out and put it back in and it turned. Now the problem is getting worse. Took me almost ten minutes to get it to turn this morning. Im going to take it apart this evening after work to have a look at it, but wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

I believe the automatic KJs have a cable going to the switch assembly from the transmission/transfer box...I have seen posts of people having problems with this cable!

The actuator pin from the ignition cylinder that goes into the actual ignition key has a habit of breaking which stops the ignition switch from turning enough to start the jeep...maybe your actuator pin is in the process of breaking and is jamming things up.

Look at the "Sticky" above under general discussion about keys jammed in ignition and how to fix it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.