Key Can't Turn in Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kx4

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm sure there must be a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it.

My key won't turn in the ignition. Problem began about a year ago, and someone suggested a friendly whap on the end of the key would persuade it, and that worked. Until yesterday.

It won't turn forward or back. I'm guessing it may be the interlock cable, but not sure.

The key's not stuck in the switch. The switch just won't turn.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm sure there must be a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it.

My key won't turn in the ignition. Problem began about a year ago, and someone suggested a friendly whap on the end of the key would persuade it, and that worked. Until yesterday.

It won't turn forward or back. I'm guessing it may be the interlock cable, but not sure.

The key's not stuck in the switch. The switch just won't turn.

yes it most likely is the interlock cable, i just went thru this about 8 months ago, lift the bezel around the gear shifter, in the back towards the radio, you will see a black cable protruding from the shifter, at the end of it is a clip, reach down and manually slide the cable with a finger back so that it passes the clip, then you will be able to remove the key. i had mine replaced by the dealer, but until i had a chance to get to the dealer for about 2 months i had to do this everytime i got in and out of the jeep.

Kriszilla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be the lock cylinder itself. I had to go through the same thing with whacking the end of the key while trying to turn it until I finally got tired of it and took it in. According to the dealer service guy I spoke to, it's pretty common on the first-gen Liberty's.

He replaced the cylinder and keyed it for me under warranty and it's been working flawlessly now for almost 2 years.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had the same issue with my wife's Chrysler 300M. On her car it was the cylinder. I bought a replacement cylinder kit from Rock Auto for about $50 and rekeyed it to match the original so we could keep the original key. The original key has the security stuff built in. It has worked flawlessly since (about 4 months).
Bruce