k&n vs amsoil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive been coming across a lot of posts about k&n filters and amsoil filters, i do know that the foam filter provides better filtration but at the cost of restricting flow and the k&n is more free flowing but does so with less filtration, had i learned this 2 years ago i wouldve definitely gone amsoil, i just am looking for opinions on the k&n as far as how suitable it is for a daily driver in upstate new york not much offroading yet but i am mainly looking to find out if i can wait a while on the amsoil filter or if i should get it asap...only reason i ask is cause after the diy frankelift, wheels, and tires money is a wee bit tight.
thanks.
chris

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if you are on the road all of the time or off road, there is still dirt in the air. Of course more so off road at times but even a guy who drives Interstate only gets dirty filters

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had my K&N long enough to notice anything wrong, but it says on the package that a special sealant from K&N may be needed to put around the edges to keep dirt out in "arid/dusty climates, especially the American South West." And others have said that they have had or know people who have had engines ruined because of the dust that gets in... but that was also in the SW.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though the filter may not look that bad you be surprised what it already has captured.
You can use compressed air to filter once a month if you are picky like me.
I often take out the filter and box, wash box out, and replace the filter with something
fresh at least twice a year. I just use paper filters.
While there do your PCV valve and IAC once a year too!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just use the paper filters. They last a while in Upstate NY. I check it a couple of times during the year and replace as needed. I like the OEM air intake because I think it was designed well and brings in cold air from the top of the grill. I don't like the K&N setup where it hangs in the hot engine compartment sucking hot air. Also don't like the less restricting filters that let in more dirt in the intake.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My Amsoil drop in has done a great job for 3 yrs/ 50k km's ... judging by the amount of crap that comes out of it when cleaned.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion to the OP would be to run a good quality paper filter for now - NAPA Wix is the best IMHO, way more pleats than the OEM filter, and heck, they even carry them on Amsoil's website - save your pennies, and then buy an Amsoil EAA synthetic OEM-size filter if you wish.

The stock V6 air intake, right up under the hood where it can suck fresh air and the small water dam to keep out rain, is an incredibly good design - I know, because that's what I've been running on my CRD for the PAST FIVE YEARS!! Yes, I'll admit it - on the air intake/air filter housing, and the nylon mechanical fan at least - you gassers had better tech on your vehicles than us oil burners.

The original air intake setup on the 05/06 CRD's, at the bottom passenger side corner of the grille, literally sucked :favorites68:. It would suck up so much road dirt just from highway driving the filter would look like it had been dragged thru black soot inside 1000 miles. I could drive thru a thunderstorm for 10 minutes, and when I popped the top on the air filter housing, I'd have a 1/4" of standing water in the bottom of the housing and a damp filter. There was, honest to god, a "bathtub ring" of dirt around the bottom where you could see how high the water had gotten. One gent in Ohio actually blew his turbo oil seals because that intake sucked up so much winter road salt and slush it completely clogged/froze his filter and it nearly got sucked into the turbo.

Thankfully, the CRD's use the same air filter as the V6. All we had to do was use the bottom of the filter housing, the curved air intake horn, and the water dam that mounts up on the crossbrace. Air filters started lasting several orders of magnitude longer with no more "black soot" on them, no more water ingestion problems. Only further mod I felt necessary was to drill a few 3/8" holes in the bottom section in the side facing the fender well to let in more air, after doing a WOT test after getting an Inmotion Stage II tune and that turbo managed to suck 8" H2O vacuum across a clean Amsoil filter.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a lot of searching on this topic...as I think you saw mine yesterday. I got a WIX for it after many good comments about WIX. it imo was one of the few that came recommended for the KJ.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will probably be saving up for the amsoil drop in...i always used to run drop ins but i like being able to change the filter a couple times a year and figured i would get the k&n to save money in the long run im not to worried about the higher air flow rate i just wanted a good quality cleanable filter and if the foam amsoil is better filtration i could care less about a little less fuel economy or horsepower so now i gotta see if any place near by carries the amsoil filters
thanks guys

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I bought mine right here :D

JJsKJ is/was an Amsoil dealer .. had it shipped right to my doorstep! Excellent service!

just search his screen name and you'll find him.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will probably be saving up for the amsoil drop in...i always used to run drop ins but i like being able to change the filter a couple times a year and figured i would get the k&n to save money in the long run im not to worried about the higher air flow rate i just wanted a good quality cleanable filter and if the foam amsoil is better filtration i could care less about a little less fuel economy or horsepower so now i gotta see if any place near by carries the amsoil filters
thanks guys

I had better fuel economy with the amsoil filter. I've been using the cheapy orange paper ones for a couple years and haven't seen that gas mileage since. I'm gonna be getting an amsoil filter. I'm talking only 1 mpg difference though.

simond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a k&N since 120000 km or 3 year....cleaned each year...never got engine damage or anithing else!!!

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine right here :D

JJsKJ is/was an Amsoil dealer .. had it shipped right to my doorstep! Excellent service!

just search his screen name and you'll find him.

Thanks for the plug! I'm still around just don't get in here very often. Still slinging syn & filters so PM me or email to hotrodoil.com @ verizon.net (no spaces) for a quote.

I have 3 Jeeps running the Ea series drop-in filters and 1 running the Ea series cone on a FIPK intake (which ***** ass btw). I am still loving these air filters and I have sold a few hundred of them now, almost all to KJ's but a few other vehicles as well (not available for all vehicles yet unfortunately)
Later, JJ