K&N vs. Airaid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, since it's been awhile since I've bought the Jeep anything and I've been working on getting all of the minor things that have worn out replaced, I realized I have yet to get it the aftermarket air filter that I have wanted to get. Looking at Checker I have the choice between an Airaid and the K&N. Which is better?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've been using K&N in my hobby car since 1983 and it works good for the application.Twin 1.5 inch SU Carbs.
For our KJ I'm still using disposable paper filters (Mopar) and have not yet decided what after market brand to go with. AEM Is at the top of the list as you don't need to oil them. K&N and Airaid are pretty much the same thing only from 2 different companies. I cannot see one flowing any more air than the other.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
just use the stock box with 3 inch hose from the grill and an Amsoil filter, works better than anything else I have tried on the Liberty including the above mentioned

gordymills

Reaction score
I'm using K&N works great, as I expected. I've put K&N in every car I've owned except my Cadillac STS because they didnt make one for that car. Had to use a Fram Air Hog.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, for those of you who did install the K&N. Did you notice any real improvement in MPG or any noticeable increase in airflow?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, for those of you who did install the K&N. Did you notice any real improvement in MPG or any noticeable increase in airflow?
I didn't notice any real improvement in MPG or performance (but I wasn't expecting to), but I did notice I was having to clean the filter more often because of our dusty climate out here. Finally swapped the K&N for a regular filter.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

come on folks! $45 to your door for the best dang drop-in air filter you can get. No oil, no special cleaners! Just add a cold air hose to your stock air box and save a bundle and have True CAI.

The Amsoil Ea series drop-in flows great, filters great and I have sold tons of them and have lots of positive reports including UOA's w/ lower silicon levels, etc. They are cleanable w/ low pressure air or vaccuum them.

I can attest that mine works way better for mileage and performance than the K&N FIPK w/ Ea series cone filter in my wifes KJ. Only reason I still have that is due to the shower system on her Jeep. I'd sell it fast if I could fit the stock air box back in there.

gordymills

Reaction score
The Filter came about a week after going from the 215/75/R16 tires to the 235/70/R16's and it made up for the MPG's I lost with increasing the tire size. Wasnt much, maybe 2 or 3 mpg's.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

come on folks! $45 to your door for the best dang drop-in air filter you can get. No oil, no special cleaners! Just add a cold air hose to your stock air box and save a bundle and have True CAI.

The Amsoil Ea series drop-in flows great, filters great and I have sold tons of them and have lots of positive reports including UOA's w/ lower silicon levels, etc. They are cleanable w/ low pressure air or vaccuum them.

I can attest that mine works way better for mileage and performance than the K&N FIPK w/ Ea series cone filter in my wifes KJ. Only reason I still have that is due to the shower system on her Jeep. I'd sell it fast if I could fit the stock air box back in there.

I would love to use Amsoil products in our Liberty.
But after repeated emails and telephone calls to the local sale representative,
I never received one response.
I even emailed Amsoil via their main corporate web site to inform them that I did not get a reply from their local rep...
I didn't even get a reply from them.
Even after multiple attempts!

Very frustrating.

Makes me wonder what Amsoil's customer service policy is like.

Last edited:

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canadian Tire sells Amsoil products. I get engine oil and ATF there. Haven't checked into the filters, though. For some reason they don't stock severe gear, so I get that at a local Propane seller.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just use the stock box with 3 inch hose from the grill and an Amsoil filter, works better than anything else I have tried on the Liberty including the above mentioned

I just did the same thing over the weekend. Love the responce I get now. :DI have the K&N drop in but looking to go with Amsoil. There are two on there web site that fit the 04 libby. Which one is it??? :confused:Thanks for the help.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Canadian Tire sells Amsoil products. I get engine oil and ATF there. Haven't checked into the filters, though. For some reason they don't stock severe gear, so I get that at a local Propane seller.

I never thought of looking in Crappy tire for Amsoil. Most of the stores here are not independently owned and operated and suck! They advertise merchandise and then when you get there just as the doors open for business on the day a sale starts, they don't have the item advertised and the moron working there tells you it's sold out!
I'll have to go and check them out at an independent store.

Thanks for the tip.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I can get them up to BC, Canada for $57.50 via paypal.
Shoot me a PM w/ address info so I can verify that.

Thanks, John

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw, sorry if your local dealer *****. Since dealerships are independantly owned, you might not get someone that takes business seriously.

Liberty For All

Reaction score
I installed the K & N filter charger two years ago in my 2005 Liberty. It was quick and I have not yet cleaned it. Less driving than most folks here. It immediately sounds better and the power boost is noticed when I punch it. Keep your foot smooth and it will improve mileage a bit. I have not measured precisely.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This sounds like a good idea, where do you get the hose and where would I want to attach it to the grill and box.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hose is just a 3 inch dryer vent hose from any hardware etc store, ran the hose from where the stock intake hose went in snaked up to the grill area right beside the headlight on the right side, when you punch it you can feel it sucking in air at the grill area. I still have the stock air intake plus this hooked up
Like I said I tried K&N and all the different setups and while the sound of the K&N sounds great it does nothing at all for mileage. I had each setup I did on for at least 10,000 miles so it was not a try it for a week to see what happens.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
In the CRD section there is a write up with pretty much the same question.
Read through the thread and you will come across this link to an Australian Jeep site. It has some good photo's on this topic. (Message #17)
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=81274
I had to register to get access, but it's worth it overall anyway!
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81274

I'd like to have a fresh air snorkel. Some folks claim that they don't give you a noticeable increase in fuel economy, some state that if you do, they kill the KJ's aerodynamics, thus canceling each other out.
Then there's the price + shipping and handling + two tax's + duty/excise = Too much!
(Somewhere around $700 to $800 clams.)
I agree with some of the guy's that, that if you do what's shone on the ausjeepoffroad site, that my KJ will have a better chance of ingesting water when doing water crossings.

Last edited: