K&N filter and Oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I tried searching this forum but could not find anything about K&N filter, mine is getting dirty so I am looking for replacements and figured I should ask if it's worth getting K&N filter and if it provides better mpgs or any other benefits. I am sure some of you rock them and if you have noticed any difference?

My second question is about the oil. Since I have gotten the beast I have started with full synthetic Valvoline and then switched to M1 EP until this last one when I used Valvoline again. Alot of the folks here use m1 but for some reason it turns dark really fast compared to Valvoline Synpower. She also seems to purr much quieter on Valvoline and the oil stays cleaner longer. So my question is: is the M1 designed to be this way and it getting darker just means it's doing it's job trapping the sludge and Valvoline doesn't have the additives to keep the sludge in it? What are your thoughts?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General feeling on the forums is that the K&N filter does more harm than good. Little to no improvement with a big reduction in small particulate capture, it tends to let more fine grained dust through. Typically people just run paper filters.

I've been running Mobile One in mine, either that or the Valvoline synthetic should be fine. Both are good oils and you shouldn't have trouble with either one.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either oil will do a fine job. Some additives darken more than others with use.

I don't like K&N air filters. If you hold them up to light, you can see pinholes of light.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. K&N are lifetime part. Wash it, re-oil it, reuse it.
2. The dirtier it gets the more efficient it becomes at trapping those small particles.

People who use em tend to be "car nuts" , so I seldom see em in the shop. The only one I have personal experience with is on my 04 Siverado SS. I expect the first owner installed it, as the kid I bought it from didn't do anything but abuse it. I bought it at 135,000' the K&N was dirty, so I serviced it. Serviced it once since then, and it's ready again.

This truck now has 230,*** mi and still uses no oil. The K&N may not have helped anything, but it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the very worst air filters you can run
Many tests have been done and they all show that they do not filter air well at all
Toss it in the trash, run a good NAPA filter, better filtration etc than you'll ever have from a K&N

I think most consider me a car nut, but after doing my own testing and reading many articles tossed mine years ago
so don't think the car nut comment fits

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a drop in, opposed to the K&N CAI and I think it does fine. I've had it now for a year on the KJ.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General feeling on the forums is that the K&N filter does more harm than good. Little to no improvement with a big reduction in small particulate capture, it tends to let more fine grained dust through. Typically people just run paper filters.

I've been running Mobile One in mine, either that or the Valvoline synthetic should be fine. Both are good oils and you shouldn't have trouble with either one.

Agreed.

I also wouldn't try to go to far between oil changes with the 3.7 engine. Head gaskets are a very common failure item and introducing water to engine that tends to create sludge anyway is not one I'd try for extended oil oil changes. The rest of the engine is no mean feat of engineering either.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most consider me a car nut, but after doing my own testing and reading many articles tossed mine years ago
so don't think the car nut comment fits

No way did I mean "car nuts" all run K&N. Just that most K&N users do their own maintenance so I seldom see them.

Also no way is my one truck representative, but it's excellent engine condition is with/in spite of K&N. Would I ever buy another? He'll no. Will I ever replace this one? He'll no.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk