just did a little experiment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking of doing away with my k@n setup and going back to a stock box with a home made ram air type deal from behind the grill like a popular thread here talks about.

this morning i went for a drive of about 20 miles total. half of it i had a wireless thermometer under the hood 2 inches from my k@n open air filter that was surrounded by a heat shield that came with it. so going down the road at 55-70 mph with the outside temp 65 degrees, the temp was anywhere from 68-72 degrees. i decided to go out this gravel road and kept it in second gear going 10-25mph and most of it was shaded. the temp then went from 72deg. to 91deg towards the end of the road.

i decided to turn around and go back the same route as i took to get there. only now i moved the thermometer right behind the passengers side grill slot next to the head light.

(this is where i plan to have the opening to pipe the outside air into the stock box in a ram air type effect.)

i changed the location in 2 minutes.

upon starting the drive back the outside temp was now 67degress. As i drove again keeping it in 2nd gear staying at 10-25mph, the temp went from 91 deg to 72 in 5 minutes. (temp updates every 5 minutes) the next 5 minutes showed a reading of 65 degrees. when i got back on the freeway, i stayed at 70mph for a good 8 miles. the reading at that speed showed 59 degrees.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

dont know exactly if that would show much hp gain or mph gain, but either way, it will be much cooler air going into the engine and thats a good thing. And just for kicks, i went inside a store for 15 minutes before i changed the location of the thermometer, and in those 15 minutes the under hood temp at the filter went from 72 to 103 degrees! i cant wait until summer weather to test this again.

more accurate test can be done as i was using an atomic clock with its separate temp unit for a second temp reading. ild like to have a real time setup (at least every 1 second readings) to see the underhood and outside temp at the same time.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive found that the air going into the stock air box always stays around 2-3F higher than the air temp when going down the hw. Its going to be hard to beat that.

Like your test shows, its when you slow down that the air going into the engine heats up. Mine goes up to 100F+ pretty quick when Im moving along slow or stopped in traffic. Thats where the ram air intake would benefit since it would be sucking in air in front of the engine.

I get to see my intake temps all the time with my scan gauge. :)

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive found that the air going into the stock air box always stays around 2-3F higher than the air temp when going down the hw. Its going to be hard to beat that.

Like your test shows, its when you slow down that the air going into the engine heats up. Mine goes up to 100F+ pretty quick when Im moving along slow or stopped in traffic. Thats where the ram air intake would benefit since it would be sucking in air in front of the engine.

I get to see my intake temps all the time with my scan gauge. :)

yeah its pretty neat to see that kind of info. im hoping to get this done over the weekend. shouldnt be to awful hard to do. i do want to see my air temps now. i like to see all kinds of info if i can. ild like to have a sensor mounted inside the air box and another outside next to the intake behind the grill just to see if there is any difference after putting it all together. i doubt there will be much, but going slow or crawling around might see some difference...??IDK just would be neat.

can we get after market A Pillar covers for the inside drivers side with places for small gauges? If we can, Ild like to run the 2 temp sensors from the described locations to 2 gauges mounted there.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can we get after market A Pillar covers for the inside drivers side with places for small gauges? If we can, Ild like to run the 2 temp sensors from the described locations to 2 gauges mounted there.

I have a 2 gauge beige one I would sell for $40 shipped if you are interested?

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im trying to find a pic of a 3 gauge pod like was mentioned but cant. if anyone finds one please post it. the 2 gauge on looks nice.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.
You must be registered for see images

Does have a couple scratches in the paint on it from storage, never was installed.

Same one as linked to by corwyyn

ahhh. thanks man. ill let you know.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well, I'm not really sure about HP in this situation but my KJ seems to get much better MPG when the air is warmer, and much worse when its cold. HP is probably the exact opposite.