JK Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i know there was a recall on the 6 speed because i told my mom about it the morning i went to new york.
they make them in america now instead of germany (?) because the synchro gears on 1+2 kept breaking or something

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know there was a recall on the 6 speed because i told my mom about it the morning i went to new york.
they make them in america now instead of germany (?) because the synchro gears on 1+2 kept breaking or something

I have heard the early 2010's having a different input shaft and synchros on 1st and 2nd that may be causing some problems, but there is not any OFFICIAL recall on this particular matter.
No dealers have a recall notice and if there was one, you would receive a notice in the mail.
But you are correct about the reported problems with the newer design of the 6-speed. I bet the number of people that have a problem are astronomically low compared to the number of units sold that it might become a TSB instead of a recall, If anything at all.
If it is a real problem, I believe they should make it a recall because that could be a safety issue.
I would still go with a 6-speed.

Reaction score
I have heard the early 2010's having a different input shaft and synchros on 1st and 2nd that may be causing some problems, but there is not any OFFICIAL recall on this particular matter.
No dealers have a recall notice and if there was one, you would receive a notice in the mail.
But you are correct about the reported problems with the newer design of the 6-speed. I bet the number of people that have a problem are astronomically low compared to the number of units sold that it might become a TSB instead of a recall, If anything at all.
If it is a real problem, I believe they should make it a recall because that could be a safety issue.
I would still go with a 6-speed.

idk i didnt like it compared to the 5 speed from the liberty. granted i drove one with 3 miles on it in the snow. the auto is easier off road too with the hill start assist and other electronic crap.

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk i didnt like it compared to the 5 speed from the liberty. granted i drove one with 3 miles on it in the snow. the auto is easier off road too with the hill start assist and other electronic crap.

I totally agree that an auto is easier offroad, but what I was debating the other guy about was the fact that you can do the same things with a manual transmission, with a little more work and finesse.:cheers:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it just boils down to driver preference. As much as I'd love a manual, I drive more than 400-500 miles a week in rush hour, and it just wouldn't be fun. If it were a weekend fun vehicle, manual would be fun.

I think both are equally capable off road, the limiting factor is just the skill of the driver I think, and that goes for both.

Reaction score
I totally agree that an auto is easier offroad, but what I was debating the other guy about was the fact that you can do the same things with a manual transmission, with a little more work and finesse.:cheers:

oh yea my liberty wasnt anywhere near as built up as others but i did most obstacles in one try where the others would be 3 or more.