Jeep turns over, but won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to start the jeep last night to go to the gym. Wouldn't start. Past couple of days when I tried to start it, it would crank, but not start on the first try. I'd have to let it rest for a few seconds then crank it again and it would start right up. Now it will crank but not start. Got a new battery for it. Same thing. ANY input would be nice. Have A LOT of things to do tomorrow and I won't be able to get a ride tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's looking like the fuel pump isn't working. Any recommendations on whether to shell out $350 for the whole assembly or shoot for just the pump itself?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's looking like the fuel pump isn't working. Any recommendations on whether to shell out $350 for the whole assembly or shoot for just the pump itself?

What happens when you jumper pins 30 and 87 of the Fuel Pump Relay....does the pump run...is fuel filter OK, fuse 24 in PDC OK?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check everything first like Billwill says (could be something simple like a broken wire or relay) and if it was me I'd do the whole assembly but I don't know your year or mileage.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were a fuse, wouldn't it just not pump at all without me having few days where I just have to keep cranking the engine? All fuses are good. Idk about the PRC relay though.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember sometimes some things can be intermittent go bad and blow a fuse so the biown fuse can tell you were a problem lays. Like why did the fuse blow.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What info do you have to support that? You need to verify fuel pressure at least before condemning the pump. If it is bad, replace the whole unit. Do not get an Airtek, or other cheap brand. You only want to do it once. Also, if you must drop the tank to replace the pump, make sure there is no dirt inside the tank. If so, get it cleaned out. Failure to do so may result in premature pump failure. There are several other things that can lead to a crank-no start. Does it have spark? Have you seen the spark from the coils? Are the injectors working?