Jeep to loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found that the stock KJ exhaust is a little to loud. Its fine when cruising but when it downs shift going up a hill its a rather loud BBrrrrrr sound. I know the sound is normal lol. I'm simply making an observation about the Db level. I am going to look into a way to quiet it up.

My reason for those who think I'm bonkers.

Where I live the nearest town to get basic groceries is a 5 hour round trip.
Nearest Hospital is a 10 hour round trip (everyone is helicoptered out)
And home during breaks and holidays is 25 hours away.

Although the sound is nice after a while it just eats away at the back of your head.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually mine was not loud enough for me stock and that is the reason I installed a magnaflow muffler in place of the stock one now mine is louder and I love it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have a hole somewhere in the muffler? Mine was so quiet when it was new I could hardly hear it

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thought, there has to be a hole somewhere. Time to time I drive my uncle's '06 which has a stock muffler, it feels so quiet and luxurious, then I go back to my flowmaster and feel bad for him because he is missing such a nice sound.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guarantee there are no holes. Its just too throaty. I mean you can't hear a peep out of it until its under load. I was thinking of running a bi-muffler system, use 2 smaller mufflers in parallel more noise cancellation without restriction.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
as I gaze into the crystal ball

I see a Prius in your future......................

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175: ^^^+

I spent an hour on youtube last night reviewing sound clips looking for an aftermarket muffler that sounded quiet while in the cabin, and sounded good outside. let me know if you have luck.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ tommudd

Thanks for the input. If you have nothing proper to add please leave this alone.

No wonder there is very little talk on this forum.

All I see is new people asking questions only to get flamed and told to search, (and the search is rubbish btw), or that their idea is idiotic with out being told why. Some people are great here but other only chirp in with negative degrading comments.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I gaze into the crystal ball

I see a Prius in your future......................
haha I was thinking the same thing.

Don't take it the wrong way man...but when my Jeep was stock I could barley even hear the exhaust under W.O.T...if yours is as loud as you say it is there must be a problem. If not then you may be in the wrong vehicle for what you are doing with it

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I def think it's a little loud. But not too bad. I'm one of the folks that like it loud if you catch my drift... ;D

About a dual muffler...you gonna find enough space under there?

Also...does anyone else HATE that the muffler is almost the lowest part of the Jeep? Cause I do. Always gotta think of it when off-roading.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure there will be room. I have done some searching and I think I will do
something like this.

Install a quiet high flow muffler in the stock location but as close to the front
as possible. The muffler I have been looking at is a walker quiet flow. More flow
then stock and quiet. These tend to be large bodied. But there is lots of room
for tucking. Directly after the muffler I will install this a Dynomax 17223 -
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Mufflers
for that extra little bit of quietness.
You must be registered for see images attach

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RenegadeBullitt

I did not say my jeep was loud.... I said it was just sort of there and that after hours of driving it drives me nuts. I'm sure it is just as loud as any other stock libby. WHAT I AM saying is that I would like it quieter.

As for it not being the correct vehicle... if you knew were I lived you would disagree. Most people around here consider a libby to be the smallest vehicle you should have. Most have full size trucks and large SUV's (suburban's and Tahoe's). We are a community 80km down an unmaintained dirt/logging road.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02
You bought a Jeep for a reason
If you don't like what comes with a Jeep
Then sell it
Things that are a sure shot with Jeep
Poor MPG
Noise
A desire to mod it (empty pockets)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it our KJ was very quiet with
highway tires even AT's were quiet
The VW is quieter with highway tires
If the noise is an issue you may want to
consider a VW Tiguan with 4 motion if needed

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much negativity on this forum..... I was hoping for healty help and good talks over this. but what I am being told is, its a jeep suck it up...

Now if i wanted what everyone else wanted which is loud and annoying I would get all sorts of friendly faces with their polite views and maybe some helpful links.But because I am going against the ahem "grain" of this forum I get nothing but negative feedback....

I will stop trying. Thanks for the reply's.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Here is some help,buy a QUITE muffler and install it. From your description I would be crawling under and checking all the little heat shields,weld joints,clamped joints. But I figured a smart cunuk like you had already done the checking and had thought of a QUITE muffler. Or a double muffler set-up.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was under there today. Double checked everything. Its actually pretty clean for an Ontario vehicle. I think I will just go with the double muffler setup, I guess my biggest complaint is although the stock muffler has a "noise" its not very pleasant to listen to. Maybe when we move south I will install a noise maker, but now its the quiet road for me.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Never been under a 07,02 has more than enough room for two nice large mufflers.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
@ tommudd

Thanks for the input. If you have nothing proper to add please leave this alone.

No wonder there is very little talk on this forum.

All I see is new people asking questions only to get flamed and told to search, (and the search is rubbish btw), or that their idea is idiotic with out being told why. Some people are great here but other only chirp in with negative degrading comments.

Ya know it was a joke pure and simple, jeez
maybe wasn't the answer you wanted but a stock KJ is about as quiet as you can get, installing two even three mufflers will maybe help one or two decibles in sound but thats about it. You have resonation throughout the whole system, not just the muffler, now if you install double thickness pipes that may help some but its not going to get a whole lot quieter
Now I'll let someone who is very serious help you :shrug:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man my KJ is not loud enough.

Key to a "not so loud" Jeep is to have a Detroit 8V92TA crack in half while standing on it while force feeding it water from a fire truck when it's running away at 8000rpm's(long story),then get blown up twice in a armored HMMWV.After all of that(if you live) then you can straight pipe it and run Interco Boggers and not hear a thing.

Again my KJ is not loud enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.