Jeep Renegade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some people really disliked the Renegade when it first came out, however it's kind of growing on me. I know it has a lot of Fiat design, but I have to ask if some have changed their minds about it?

Daystar makes a 1.5" lift kit (I know it's spacers) for the Trailhawk, Motor Trend's Dirt Everyday took a Renegade Trailhawk on Black Bear Pass and it did pretty well, and The Fast Lane Truck also used a Renegade Trailhawk to go up Gold Mine Hill where it again accomplished it pretty easily. With that said, what are some of your opinions? I know it's not going to be as capable as a Liberty or even the mighty Wrangler, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it looks fine. It doesn't look big enough for my tastes, though. To me, the Liberty hit the sweet spot of being small enough to get into most tight places, big enough to haul all your stuff. The new Renegade looks too much like a station wagon to me, albeit a very capable one.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the size still makes me a bit skeptical, especially for a family of four. I was also a bit skeptical about the only engine option being a four cylinder. But, I still like the way it looks.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total Fiat.

And no, it hasn't grown on me - and won't.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan. Nor am I a hater. I wont buy one, but I don't really have anything against them.

As Prof said, the KJ hits the sweet spot for practicality and fun. Probably why I'm having such a hard time finding a replacement for mine

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a perfect world, our Liberties would last a lifetime. It's proving difficult to be proactive when the inevitable happens and find a replacement for my Liberty.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In a perfect world, our Liberties would last a lifetime. It's proving difficult to be proactive when the inevitable happens and find a replacement for my Liberty.

Just have to keep buying them and modding
I had an 02-03-04 and 05,
sold the 02 and 04
guy who bought them hasn't done a thing with them so wants to make me a deal
so back to owning 4 , build one with all new parts/ motor/trans/ etc , when its needed it will be ready and build another
Therefore no need for a Renegade

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to replace the Liberty unless I have to. I'll keep her running as long as I can. Getting ready to hit 150,000 miles and she still runs strong. I need to fix a few things like a stuck right front caliper and I have the notorious "ding-a-ling" sound coming from the front driveshaft. After that I need to do maintenance on the front and rear differentials. Maybe switch to 4.10 gears if I can, but that may have to wait until my wife is done with nursing school. I hope I can drive my Liberty for many years.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Had a Renegade Trailhawk as a loaner once when the Cherokee was in the shop. Loved it, just on the small side. Exterior it's the same as an XJ but much smaller inside.

For one or two people as a DD/off roader, I don't see anything better besides a KJ/KK.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot about the Compass, the new ones look awesome. I'd be hard pressed to pick between that and a Rene.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, I'm not one to say, "that's not a real Jeep", however I would think the Compass and the Patriot would be below the Renegade as far as "capability" is concerned. The new Compass does look really good! I think the Compass looks like a mini Grand Cherokee. Sometimes fools me and I have to take a double take! LOL

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2, Compass less capable mainly just because it's bigger.

Renegade is the same length as an XJ, Compass is probably KJ/KK sized, Cherokee is the same length as a WJ was.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking the Compass out on the Jeep website and, unless I'm wrong, the Compass Trailhawk and the Renegade Trailhawk have the same drivetrain. If the Compass is similar in size to the KJ, then I think I'd pick it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was going exterior dimensions... they get smaller inside. Like my XJ feels roomier than the KJ and the KJ feels roomier than the KL overall.

Latest posts

Members online