Jeep readies new Liberty/Cherokee (Code name KK)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah - in scotland you don't need fabric roofs... Bad experiences with a land rover ragtop in SA during those rainstorms told me otherwise :p

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello, this was discussed at few topics just search for 2008.
The more I look at KJs, the more I can relate KK to KJ..
It is weird.. I think it will eventually grow on us, because of the name LIBERTY... it is like a foster son..

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont mind it actually. The only complaint I have is the spare mounted underneath. Other than that, it seems pretty cool. Not another Compass.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are they stopping with the Liberty and bringing back the Cherokee? I'm lost.

The Liberty has really high sales.

That picture looks like the Patriot.

If the Cherokee comes back then you have the Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Grand Cherokee, Commander. Where do you fit the Cherokee???

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Whelan said:
So are they stopping with the Liberty and bringing back the Cherokee? I'm lost.

The Liberty has really high sales.

That picture looks like the Patriot.

If the Cherokee comes back then you have the Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Grand Cherokee, Commander. Where do you fit the Cherokee???
The Cherokee... technically never left. The Liberty is only called the "Liberty" in North America. Go anywhere else, it's called a Cherokee.

The pictures shown are of the new Liberty. The Patriot is a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller vehicle. Both the Patriot and Compass had to be made because during marketing testing...

The Patriot was loved by men, hated by women, and....
The Compass was loved by women, hated by men.

Patriot and '08 Liberty/Cherokee do look very similar, but like I said... they're in two different size classes.

Liberty/Cherokee - Midsize (always has been)
Patriot/Compass - Compact

Does this clear things up for you? =P~

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Patriot was loved by men, hated by women, and....
The Compass was loved by women, hated by men.

I hate both. Never seen any in real life (applies to compass), and I'm glad. I've seen the compass (modified 'rally' version) in a 4x4 magazine here - hate to imagine those things polluting our cities (KJ's are fine though!)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually when patriot comes, it will be the only thing that's left looking like a liberty, maybe rene from the front end.

Oh and I spotted a wrangler unlimted yesterday, they made it higher & bigger, looks nothing like old wrangers.. can't really say it's compact anymore for that. Looked nice.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why are they getting rid of the KJ? Lack of things to tweak with? They changed the door locking stubs last year... And the shape of the bonnet!

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just continuing to hope that the new "KK" will not have that "fold flat" front passenger seat that they're putting in the Nitro. If a few people really want it, then fine - make it an option. But also offer the 6-way power adjustable seat which has always been available in the Liberty Limited. My wife and I drove a Nitro, and she felt like she was sitting down in a hole! [-o<

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
So why are they getting rid of the KJ? Lack of things to tweak with? They changed the door locking stubs last year... And the shape of the bonnet!

They are not getting rid of the KJ rather its having a body makeover so the engineering level of the entire vehicle changes (KK). It is still the same vehicle/class.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I just noticed something...

One of those Libertys has ParkSense... the rear backup monitor thing.

Interesting...:-k

I find the KJ very easy to back into a sport with the big rear glass and short body.

Well, something else someone will pay money for!

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marlon_JBT It def. clears things up. I did not know it was called the Cherokee still everywhere else. And the Patriot for men, Compass for women seems right consider Dodge has the Caliber (Compass) and Nitro (Patriot). The Nitro does look pretty cool though. So the new Liberty aka Cherokee redesign is due, I forgot about that as well, gotten so used to this look. But it does seem to be going for a mini version of the Commander look.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Whelan said:
Thanks Marlon_JBT It def. clears things up. I did not know it was called the Cherokee still everywhere else. And the Patriot for men, Compass for women seems right consider Dodge has the Caliber (Compass) and Nitro (Patriot). The Nitro does look pretty cool though. So the new Liberty aka Cherokee redesign is due, I forgot about that as well, gotten so used to this look. But it does seem to be going for a mini version of the Commander look.
Just so you know, the Patriot and Nitro share absolutely nothing except a few small parts, a radio and a turn signal switch.