Jeep Liberty Future?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Chrysler officially posted a relatively great year for 2011, but looking at the lineup, I just dont see it.
Grand Cherokee and Wrangler are the only real sellers for Jeep.
The Chrysler label is getting beat by superior vehicles in every class except maybe minivans, but even there they lag in gas mileage and could be better priced.
Dodge has some exciting stuff going on with the Charger and the upcoming Dart, but the rest of the lineup is just not as good as the competition anymore. Crappy mileage is really hurting the brand across the board. Even the good ole RAM and Durango are lagging the competition in R&D and desperately need a redo.
I could easily see the Liberty going the way of the Dodo...its just not a good investment for the company at this time.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better looking than the KJ IMO. You know what they say about opinions :smokin:

I don't see a single source solution for the future, and for whatever reason people don't seem to consider a multi-source approach. The gasolione/hybrid/alternative energy/diesel all need to be options so the consumer can choose which works for their situation. Switching from gasoline to another since source will only cause similar bottleneck and longevity issues with that new energy source.

I think the right answer is "all of the above".

Gotta agree with that - we're switching from non-renewable resource to non-renewable resource. Coal still provides 45% (Wikipedia) of our power. Natural gas another 23%. Corn fuels are almost as expensive as gas, and probably will be for a long time. Diesel will also be expensive for a while. When it comes down to it...we're gonna have to use it all.

By the way, I like that Trailblazer. They really SHOULD bring it here.....I'd say it'll sell as well as a Grand Cherokee.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It's too bad that Suzuki doesn't sell the Jimny in North America.
I had one for a while in Holland, those are very capable little 4X4's!
When gasoline starts costing the same in North America as it does in Europe and the UK, smaller 4X4's will start becoming more popular here!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem is this with the current auto market
Every one screams for better mpg
Now we know that a Prius gets 40-45 highway
on regular gas @ $3.25 a gallon that is a cost
of .07-.08 per mile just for fuel
A bigger faster VW Jetta TDI gets the same mpg
but the diesel cost 3.75 a gallon
that is about an extra .01 per mile
Now that hybrid has to store the electric energy
that storage device goes out
Let's say at 100k miles
Your fuel savings will be +/- $1000
I really doubt that storage device cost less than $1000
So you tell me which is cheeper?

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's say at 100k miles
Hybrids are also dangerous to firefighters. We now have classes on how to make these cars safe so we dont get zapped, blow up, or ran over while performing an extrication. No good! :icon_arrow: :poop:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Let's say at 100k miles

Yes, but you neglect to factor in the cost of maintenance of said VW Diesel!
My parents have an '05 Jetta Wagon diesel and what they have paid in dealer servicing is astronomical!
Oh, several of my close friends also have VW Diesel vehicles and say the same thing... False economy!
$150.00 for a dealer oil change!
Water separator filter $$$.$$!!!
So at the end of the day you might be getting killer mpg but service costs lotta of money!
Oh, one other thing... Three of my friends have been working for VW For the past 25-32 years and laugh at people who think VW Diesels are so "Economical"!
So in a nut shell, Diesels might get great mpg, but cost way more for authorized servicing!

And that be the facts!

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree Ry, that's why it may be a good idea to lease a TDI. Also, sometimes its just a matter of where your money goes. To the mechanics/maintenance or to the greedy oil companies.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I read a lot about VW being costly and
having problems
But from non owners
I on the other hand own 1 and after 50k miles
no real issues ,burnt out light
I also know that the '05 TDI is not nearly as good
as the newer 2.0 version ,1.8 in '05
As to oil change cost well look at it like this
The TDI goes 10k miles per $100 at the local dealer
or $75 at the shop 2 blocks from the dealer
Which is owned by 2 former dealer techs
the Prius has a 6k oil change at a ~$50 dealer cost
So in the end it is break even
You still can not justify the cost of the "batteries"
Look at it
How much does it cost to keep any compact car on the
road?
Now what if that car had 100-150k and needed a $3500
repair to keep it running?
Now I would junk it
But hold on you can not just junk it because batteries
need to be recycled so what now?
In most cases I would bet they will sit and rot
The batteries will pollute way more than what the VW
will in 250k miles ,which it will easily go
Not very green and doing the math the VW would easily
go further than 2 Prius
Wow that makes it really cheep

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A good mule is way cheaper than either one of them, little grain everyday, some hay or turn out in the field and he's good to go anytime. Plus you get good fertilizer for the garden as well
How much more green do you want
Take the Prius' and VW's and stick em :Bye:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we bought a TDI almost a year ago, we bought a great extended warranty. When that warranty is up, the car will go away. Simple as that.
I love the power and driving experience of the TDI. Its got the same torque as the KJ does in a vehicle almost 1000 lbs lighter.
Truthfully, every other company besides Chrysler is putting regular gas cars on the street now that come close to that 40 mpg mark, so both the TDI and the hybrids are going to need to up their game in the next few years to stay relevant. Of course, the TDI is still the only one of those high mileage vehicles with 236 ft-lbs of torque so its still got that edge for the foreseeable future until more turbo systems start coming in to play.
It will be interesting to see how the new Dart sells, and if they build an SRT-4 model as impressive as the neon SRT-4 was.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my KJ dies I guess I'll just switch over to a pick up or something... I like the JK but there are so many around it's too hard to stand out from the crowd like my KJ does. Yes, I love the attention hahaha

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my eyes set on a challenger in the future. Ill keep the kj and have both.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought Mr. Darcy I was seriously considering a Tacoma. Luckily I talked myself down from the lifetime loan the dealership wanted to set me up with but bajeebus are those trucks sexy! There's an inverter in the bed of the truck so you can just plug stuff in! But in the end it was just meant to be. My sister and brother in law have a liberty in the states that I've driven a few times so I was familiar enough with the interior to know that I would be comfortable, being only 5' tall it's hard to find a vehicle I feel comfortable driving. I used to have a kia sportage (worst decision EVER) and by the time I was far forward enough to get the clutch in all the way my knees were all bent out of shape under the steering wheel, and I had to keep a pile of sandbags in the trunk so I could make it up these island hills without spinning out. So long story short, I happened upon Mr. Darcy while test driving another Liberty and just knew it was meant to be and when it comes down to it all the research and specs and reviews mean nothing when you're faced with love at first sight. You just know. (as a disclaimer, just in case this post makes no sense I ran out of milk and haven't had any coffee, my mind is so jumbled and nonsensical this morning!)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to purchase tommarow it would be
an '05-'10 grand (IFS with the 8.25 rear end)
Now it would have to be overland pkg. with a Hemi
Add some OME springs 32" tall tires
Bumpers and sliders
Lock the rear and rock out

To heck with good gas milage
I only drive my Jeep 3k miles or less per year

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some better transmissions could certainly help matters...6 spds are almost industry standard now.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Liberty totally crapped the bed right now, I'd end up getting myself a previous gen (GMT-800) Tahoe. If that wouldn't work, I'd consider a new 'Hoe.

Yes, they are huge and not as conducive to offroad as the KJ...my situation has changed. Haven't really had the KJ offroad since...Feb 2008? I've had opportunities, but I have other things that come before that. I'm starting a family, have 2 dogs....KJ's just a little too small for me anyway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a low mileage 02-04 KJ to buy and put in the back of the garage and start building it up, then when this one goes, I'll have a back up.
:happy175:
or a 66-72 Bronco that I can build over time