Jeep KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
Hello lads looking for a little more information on the jeep kk's 4x4 system compared to the kj. I know there the same system but I was unaware the kk had a electronic system, I was just wondering how realible it is because we all know what happens to electronics! My 2006 has the floor system and HAS been abused without failure cant see the electric one holding up as good any insight will come in handy!! PS something esle I noticed is my 06 has 2wd, part time 4, full4, and 4low where as the kk has 2wd,4x4auto and 4 low.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re already familiar with the SelecTrac 4x4 system since that’s the “full time” option on your old KJ. 4x4 “auto” on the KK is the same thing. It just lacks the 4x4 high part time setting of the old case.

As far as reliability, I use 4x4 regularly and never had a problem with the electric engagement of the transfer case. You can shift on the fly between 2wd & 4wd Auto at up to 45 mph, but to get into or out of 4wd Low you need to stop, or be rolling super slowly, and have the transmission in neutral. A flashing 4x4 light on the dashboard means it is trying to shift into 4wd, and a solid light means it was successful.

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re already familiar with the SelecTrac 4x4 system since that’s the “full time” option on your old KJ. 4x4 “auto” on the KK is the same thing. It just lacks the 4x4 high part time setting of the old case.

As far as reliability, I use 4x4 regularly and never had a problem with the electric engagement of the transfer case. You can shift on the fly between 2wd & 4wd Auto at up to 45 mph, but to get into or out of 4wd Low you need to stop, or be rolling super slowly, and have the transmission in neutral. A flashing 4x4 light on the dashboard means it is trying to shift into 4wd, and a solid light means it was successful.
Thanks I was just wondering about realibilty, im going to keep buying these but that electronic 4wd on the kk was making me want to stick to the KJ'S. Nice to know youve had a good experiance with yours.

Members online

No members online now.