Jeep geared too high with 245/75's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stratusfear02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into jeeps.. I have owned my 02 Liberty for 3 months now, and have installed a 2.5" suspension lift, and 245/75/16 mud terrains. The jeep is great except, it seems to be geared way too high with the bigger tires. I keep finding myself having to shift down to 3rd gear going up hills, and having to hold it wide open merging on the highway, unless I want to get run over. What are my options (if any) for lowering the gear ratio? I know the 4cyl is no powerhouse, but jeez. I'm still kind of new to this.. Thanks

2002 Jeep Liberty
2.4 4 ******
5 Speed Standard
4x4

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into jeeps.. I have owned my 02 Liberty for 3 months now, and have installed a 2.5" suspension lift, and 245/75/16 mud terrains. The jeep is great except, it seems to be geared way too high with the bigger tires. I keep finding myself having to shift down to 3rd gear going up hills, and having to hold it wide open merging on the highway, unless I want to get run over. What are my options (if any) for lowering the gear ratio? I know the 4cyl is no powerhouse, but jeez. I'm still kind of new to this.. Thanks

2002 Jeep Liberty
2.4 4 ******
5 Speed Standard
4x4

(welcome)

EDIT:

OK, I'm a bonehead. I didn't read your post thoroughly when I wrote this originally to see that you have a 4 cylinder - and so you have 4.10's already. Basically it ain't gonna get any better unless you spend A LOT of money on a new front diff case as noted below. Might as well get a 6 cylinder KJ if you're gonna go that route.

Yeppir, running 245/75's puts the Liberty right on the edge of annoyingly underpowered.

Can change to 4.10's and get the power back. Rear ring & pinions are pretty easy to find for the Chrysler 8.25" differential. The front not so much - I believe Spicer is the only manufacturer that makes them. Best bet is to find a front diff from a 4 cylinder KJ and swap it in. MUCH less expensive and the same amount of work since the front diff has to come out to swap the R&P anyway.

The 4 cyl KJ's are out there - best bet is to search for a front diff at car-part.com.

Bob

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing you can do. If it was a 2wd you could put some lower gears in the back.

Edit: well you could buy a steel front diff and get lower gears. That would be $$ though. Be easy to sell that front did. Id buy it.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read doesn't the 2002-2004 2.4L have 4.10 gears? I've read that's an option for re gearing with later models is to swap diffs with one of those earlier 2.4l.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2002 Jeep Liberty
2.4 4 ******
5 Speed Standard
4x4
Your only 2 options are to buy the JBA's front steel diff to gear to 4.56's,the stock rear diff can be geared top 4.56's already but the front D30A can not as 4.10's are the lowest which you already have.Make sure you find out which rear diff you have,you could have the 8.25 or D35 rear.The 2nd option is to SFA it and that 2.4 is not a good option for that venture.

stratusfear02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've researched, mine does already have 4.10s. I don't think I can justify spending 1400 on a diff..