Jeep engineer + diesel engine = moron

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other diesel engines used in U.S. vehicles such as the Cummins diesel do not have the blowby gasses and oil clogging up intercoolers, intakes, etc. I asked Jeep why the Liberty engine has this problem. Why was it designed this way? What's up with the closed crankcase ventilation setup? Will Jeep extend the warranty to cover damages from this crappy emissions system/closed crankcase ventilation system later down the road? Will installing a ProVent filter to try and remedy this problem void our warranty? Etc... And this is what they told me:

"Thank you for your recent email expressing interest in DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation.

We are proud of our accomplishments and the excitement our products are generating. We are successful because we concentrate our resources in areas of new product development, engineering and safety.

The information you are seeking is either unavailable from DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation or considered proprietary.

We appreciate your interest.

Sincerely,

William
Senior Staff Representative
DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center "

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. So obviously, they are admitting fault in designing a crappy system. And basically they are saying "we are selling Jeeps like hot cakes and don't give a rat's *ss if they last to 100,000 miles or not". What a load of crap. I'm starting to get really aggravated.

Looks like a ProVent is in my future now.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
an itialian company (i think which is a part of detroit diesel) made the crd engine.

looks like u got an auto respond reply too....

ask the euro guys...they have had the engine longer....see how's it been holding up

Watty

Reaction score
The CRD engine used in the KJ is supplied to DC by VM Motori, an Italian company dating back to 1947. In 1995 it was acquired by Detriot Diesel and some of its production was shifted to the USA.

In 2000 VM Motori, together with Detroit Diesel Corporation, became part of the DaimlerChrysler Group.

VM Motori is currently supplying engines to Daimler Chrysler, LDV and BMC, while the Hyundai engines are built under license in Korea. Their web site is at
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/01/index.jsp. Perhaps you may be able to get more detailed info here or from the given contact details. The following insert is from their site
After Sales - Automotive Product:
If you have any service questions or problems,
please contact Nicola Frabetti at [email protected]

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Perhaps I could get more information, or at least a hint of whether or not they believe the closed crankcase setup is really going to be a problem.

I just wish Jeep had thought this through more before they brought it to market. I don't like thinking that my brand new engine is being clogged each time I turn the key on it. (Aeh)

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VM diesel engine has been in the KJ in the UK since 2001. It started out as a 2.5 CRD and then grew to a 2.8 CRD. I personally know of at least 3 KJ diesels with over 100K trouble free miles on them and I haven't heard about any common problems as yet.

The XJ over in UK also ran a 2.5 diesel as did the ZJ. The WJ had a 3.1 diesel and then later a 2.7 diesel. The WK has a 3.0 V6 diesel engine.

The point is, DC have been putting diesels in Jeeps for many years and the engines have a pretty good reputation! I think your worries are unfounded and I hope you have many years of enjoyable, trouble free motoring \:D/

Ian

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kj lad said:
The point is, DC have been putting diesels in Jeeps for many years and the engines have a pretty good reputation!

Ian

That's what I have heard myself...

Latest posts

Members online