Jeep does not want to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kellymrich

Reaction score
Ok so the story is i got my liberty like a week ago and the dealership was waiting for some relay that was on backorder(and i am not sure what this relay was for). well i got the car and i love it but then like two days after i got it i went out to start the thing and it was trying to turn over but nothing. so while turning the engine over i hit the gas and it started and i could keep it reved up but the second i took my foot off the gas it died. then i could get it into gear and drive it for a minute it would run then it runs perfect for a day or so then does the same thing. i am taking it back to the dealership on monday i just wondered if you guys have any thoughts .

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Idle Control Motor (ICM) is bad or just simple carbon buildup on the inside of the throttle body housing. The fact that is starts after giving it some gas, and then dies when you let up, and will run if given gas, once the engine warms up, enough air can get in to keep it running all day until the engine cools off is the tip. I almost would bet a buck it's carbon buildup. Tell your serviceman.

kellymrich said:
Ok so the story is i got my liberty like a week ago and the dealership was waiting for some relay that was on backorder(and i am not sure what this relay was for). well i got the car and i love it but then like two days after i got it i went out to start the thing and it was trying to turn over but nothing. so while turning the engine over i hit the gas and it started and i could keep it reved up but the second i took my foot off the gas it died. then i could get it into gear and drive it for a minute it would run then it runs perfect for a day or so then does the same thing. i am taking it back to the dealership on monday i just wondered if you guys have any thoughts .

kellymrich

Reaction score
my liberty is an 02 limited with 45k miles on it. but i got it back from the dealership and they said it was the IAC i think it was the idle controller or something along those lines, i am very happy to have it back

Latest posts

Members online