JBA Lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josephelk

Reaction score
I'm looking to lift my 08 KK and I have been told horror stories about going any higher than a 3" lift because I will eat CV joints? I see that JBA makes a
4" lift but I haven't talked to anyone yet that has one installed to find out if they are having any issues? Has anyone installed a lift taller than 3" and have you had any issues?

Thanks,

Josehelk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking to lift my 08 KK and I have been told horror stories about going any higher than a 3" lift because I will eat CV joints? I see that JBA makes a
4" lift but I haven't talked to anyone yet that has one installed to find out if they are having any issues? Has anyone installed a lift taller than 3" and have you had any issues?

Thanks,

Josehelk

Talk to Diggerfreak over on LOST Jeeps he has the 4 inch on his

Josephelk

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks and yes I have been doing some more research on the web and I think I might wait another 6 months to a year and let them perfect the KK lift a little more! All I see are smaller lifts and I would like a 4" minimum lift and would prefer a 6" lift.

Thanks,

Joe

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Not questioning anybody's judgement, but why does everybody want a huge lift? ThunderbirdJunkie has never had bigger than a 33" tire on a rig with no more than 3" of lift.

Just curious as to what you're hoping to accomplish with more lift

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
TBJ bigger is always better don't you know

better to have more headaches with
better to have more break downs with
better ...well just better to be bigger
thats why they have super size meals bigger is better

to the OP

Going any more than 3.5 to 4 inches on a IFS like we have will only be a bag of problems. Plus not getting you that much anyways

Now if you go SFA then the sky is the limit and you are good to go!!!!!

Last edited:

Josephelk

Reaction score
More lift

I hunt in Washington State and we have large rocks and snow in my hunting areas, not to mention 2.5ft of snow last year in a couple of days at home! I chained up all four tires and it went everywhere I wanted to but I was dragging everything with me. I tried taking it hunting last year and I was hitting everything from rocks to getting high centered in ruts! So to answer your questions it's because I like to drive over objects:eek:

I have an 89YJ with a 4" lift and 33" tires, I also replaced the 4.2L with a 4.0L fuel injection (I’m a Jeep person Through & Through), I might just drive the YJ this year and leave the KK at home.

Also it's just a man thing to lift or lower a vehicle(my wife made me promise her to wait a year before I did anything to it and it's over a year now), If I wanted a boring rig that I didn’t want to modify I would have bought a Hummer! But then I would need a tow truck to follow me around when it snowed:D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fully understand the lifting of vehicles Josephelk, been lifting them since 1973. CJ 5s, 7s, Early Broncos, F150s, even had a Dodge van on 40s and everything in between, but what I was saying is that with Libertys much over 3 to 4 inches is spending a lot of money to make it work right and take you where you want to go , as much as a cheaper SFA would cost to do.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
To do a 6 on the KK, it is going to be a lot of work and is probably going to include a K frame drop. I have version 1 of the JBA 4 inch and love it. Right now, we are working on version two which should done very very soon

The CV angles are just fine to
You must be registered for see images attach

Josephelk

Reaction score
Thanks

Diggerfreek have you had any issues with your JBA 4" lift? I don't plan on rock-crawling my Liberty! I just want to be able to lift it for hunting and to be honest try and make it look more like a 4X4 and not at station-wagon! Don’t get me wrong I like the way my Liberty looks but it could use a little more muscle! A 4" lift should work well if it will hold up and from the picture you sent it looks like the angles are close to stock so I shouldn’t be eating CV and ball joints.

Thanks again and if anyone has any other Liberty JBA stories good or bad please let me know.

Josephelk

Attachments

• Pictures 001.jpg
    Pictures 001.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 10

Josephelk

Reaction score
JBA Lifts

Thanks,

Yes that looks good! My tires would be a little wider with offset rims (I would keep my old rims and tires for warranty work) but that looks really good. I injured my back about 11 years ago or I would have made my own lift like I used to do, like I said your picture of the lift shows the right way to do it because if you don't keep the stock angles you will eat CV joints! I learned that the hard way when I was a kid making my own lifts in the 80's for my Nissan pickups, but after some long nights we would get it right.

When do you think they will have the new JBA lift out to the public? I can wait about 3-6 months because I need to finish and sell a couple of other projects to keep the wife from leaving me!:eek: Is there anyone in Portland, Oregon or Washington State that sells the JBA lifts for the Liberty or is it only offered on the WEB?

Thanks again,

Josephelk

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
I hope that version 2.0 will be done in the next few weeks. Lets just say that if it isn't done here very very soon, I will make the drive from CO to NJ to make him finish it up :p

there are only a few places out side of JBA that sell the lift, and with that said, just get it from his web site. He may ship the current version to you right now and then later on send you the revised coil overs... IDK

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
yes, me to..... I'll be as happy as a teenage girl in a cucumber patch when they show up:eek::eek:

:p:p