Jba 6 inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes in that case it is his. Well was. I tore it up and now trying to make a crawler

Always interesting to see where people's rigs go after they sell them. But I would listen to Troy and Tom they know their way around a KJ better than most

jeffk82

Reaction score
Yea they just need to make more for kjs I mean when I first wheeled it I was really surprised by what a kj could do. I had an offer from a guy to trade it to him for his wife an in exchange he'd trade me his 90 wrangler that he had 350 motor 35 tires and he extended it 22 inches. If he did that would it not be the same length as a 4 now?

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea they just need to make more for kjs I mean when I first wheeled it I was really surprised by what a kj could do. I had an offer from a guy to trade it to him for his wife an in exchange he'd trade me his 90 wrangler that he had 350 motor 35 tires and he extended it 22 inches. If he did that would it not be the same length as a 4 now?

It'd be close. A JKU is 116", YJ is a tad over 93". The YJ would be just under an inch shorter in wheelbase. Either way, that's a huge wheelbase on a YJ. You'd think they'd put it around 104-106" like the KJ/KK respectively.

Anyways, before you jump into anything do some research on the stock axles and their limits before wanting to jump to big tires.

Stock the KJ comes with a dana 30 front diff. It's aluminum(I believe, I'm a KK owner). Lowest you can go for gears in it is 4.10s. The rear is a Chrysler 8.25. I think those are limited to 4.88s.

Jeepinbyal sells a steel dana 30 front diff for the KJ. That costs a pretty penny, but gives a stronger housing and the ability to gear lower(I believe that's limited at 4.88 as well).

Stock gears on a v6 are 3.73. You can run them up to 245/75-16(just about a 31x10), but regearing to 4.10s will put you back to stock. If you went with 32s(265/75-16) you can deal with 4.10s, but 4.56s would be preferred.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways, before you jump into anything do some research on the stock axles and their limits before wanting to jump to big tires.

Bingo!!!!!!

The front diff is only rated for a 29" tire,the rear 8.25 is in the realm of strength as a D44 but has c-clips and has issues with synthetic gear oil and pinion bearings.Also gotta remember a 4wd KJ starts out at 4000lbs.

The KJ was never meant to be a ********* wheeler,yes I know but it is true.This board is the 1% that take it to the extreme.I maxed my KJ out and to go any farther meant the stock drivetrain had to go.

From this with 265/75's(4.10 gears) and IFS...............
You must be registered for see images attach

To this with 35x12.50x15's(5.13's) and SFA..............

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What's your lift size I have 2.5

Lift size is just 1/20 of it, its what else you have to do to make it all work together and work right.
I've been at 4 inches plus for the last 170,000-175,000 plus miles maybe even more than that, but built everything to run long term as best I could at that height.
You seemed more concerned about how high you can lift it and how big of tires than how it will actually work long term

jeffk82

Reaction score
Without knowing what your lift is and the tires to run that long term if I don't know what's ran then how can I look at long term on that size. I'd like to hear the ones that went over 4 on theirs it's a play toy that's all

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without knowing what your lift is and the tires to run that long term if I don't know what's ran then how can I look at long term on that size. I'd like to hear the ones that went over 4 on theirs it's a play toy that's all

Tom is at 4.25 with JBA Adjust-a-struts front and JBA 4" springs rear with I believe if he's still running them Monroe-load-adjusting shocks from a 2000 dodge dakota 4wd. 265/75/16s with 4.10 gears.

You will never achieve what Troy's KJ is with the stock drivetrain, you have to put a solid axle in the front and swap out the rear axle for something beefier. His SFA swap cost $25k.

Any other questions I can answer?

jeffk82

Reaction score
S that's all I'm trying to get is all the info on the lifts now as nice as the 9 lift is I'd stick no more than 6 lol. As he said they are different. I'm willing to put the money in it to do it.

jeffk82

Reaction score
I thought wrangler drivers where clocks but kj driver is worse lol. I've looked and looked and they say not to go over four even though jba does a 6 but lifted kj are a dime a dozen

jeffk82

Reaction score
Just bought this though so don't matter to much on the libby. 383 stroker in it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409019410555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409019410555.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought this though so don't matter to much on the libby. 383 stroker in it.

That's not the stretched YJ right? If it is, I pictured something entirely different lmao.

And the reason they say to go 4" instead of 6" is because the 6" kit is a 4" kit plus a cradle drop. The 4" kit will clear 32s with no rubbing, the 6" will clear 33s with no rubbing. Essentially you're gaining 1/2" of ground clearance with the 6" over the 4".

Also you mentioned changing the lower control arms. To my knowledge there are no aftermarket lower control arms, which means you would need to make custom arms. If you can do that, then power to you. Just share the wealth! lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Love that front bumper :happy175:why is it upside down??:shrug:
By the way was just trying to get you to understand that 4 inch works great for most anything you would do with a Liberty , 6 is just bragging rights IMO
Hers mine by the way
Silver one we had just lifted with 3.5 inches of lift on 245-75-16s , mine with some lift and 265-75-16s