jacking & jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i'm rebuilding the front driveshaft on the 2005 liberty. and while i thought jacking and putting jack stands under it would be pretty straight forward, i didn't find it to be so. well, once i removed the front skid plate, i saw 2 possible spots. the first is the front cross member, and the 2nd was the 2nd cross member. when i do this kind of stuff, i like to use the beefiest spot i can, what i found, was if i jacked on the front cross member, there is not room for the jack stands. and i am not sure if the second cross member (right under the engine) is strong enough for the jack stands. i looked at the lower a arms, but since they are made of aluminum, they did not look like a great option for jack stands, for 2 reasons. first, they move, which is never good, and second, the tiny amount of contact area and being aluminum looked like a great place to fracture and let things move while under full load with me under the car. not a nice feeling. don't ask me how i know! so i finally drove the car up on my ramps, and then jacked it up one side at a time, and ended up putting the jack stands right in the middle of the front cross member. not nearly as stable as i like, but it was all i could come up with. the rear stands are easy. right on the axle out as far as they will go. where do you guys place the jack stands on the front of yours?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Put the jack stands on the "frame rails" you will see a notch/indent for a jack, use those spots front and rear
I have done this 1000s of times installing lifts and doing anything underneath
Jack under the motor on the cross member and of course the pumpkin in the rear

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will look tomorrow, as its dark, and I feel like I have been run over by a truck!

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i should ask, between the wheels, or outboard of the wheels?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look when it is light out, you will see at front of drivers door and in front of the rear LCAs
No where in front or rear of the front or rear diffs really
Can also sit the rear jackstands under rear diff

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the cross member to jack the Jeep up and put the jack stand on the frame where the notch is. Rear gets jack stands either under the axle or if Im working on the axle, I put them under the frame where the rear lower control arm bracket is welded on.

Your front lower control arms should be cast iron.. If they're aluminium then you have a 1 off KJ.