NEED ADVICE (transmission related)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Stoker

Reaction score
After letting my 07 Jeep liberty sit for the last 8 months, I have come to the conclusion its time to sell it. Charged the battery and it fired right up. Tried to put it in Drive and it wont move out of PARK.
put the transfer case into neutral and rolled it in to my garage. lifted it up on jack stands and removed the shift cable from the trans. jump back inside and the shifter moves back and forth with out issue.
so its the trans that is stuck.
BEST ADVICE for getting it free and shifting.

THANK YOU
AJS

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
There's a safety interlock cable between the ignition switch and shift lever (auto). Maybe it rusted in it's housing? Never heard of one doing that.

Console has to come out to disconnect the lever end; pretty easy. Start with the screws in the bottom of the storage bin and I don't remember where else it's attached.

The steering column cover hides the other end; held by some torx screws from underneath. That end of the cable ends in a plastic rectangle with an integral plastic clip. Push the clip and slide it out toward the front and it will disengage the cable from all the warped genius engineered safety stuff.