Jacks for Lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Have a collection of jacks and stands at the house, but nothing with the altitude if I gotta change a tire away from home.
No, I’m not interested in a farm Jack- they were dangerous as heck on the farm.

Found various set ups that look a bit sketchy to me. Was eyeballing Safe Jack till I saw the price tag. Was also eyeballing Powebuilt Unijack.

Suggestions?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^ That's what I do at home. I guess I should keep it with me just in case. I was all set to buy a hi-lift until everyone told me they stink.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
^ That's what I do at home. I guess I should keep it with me just in case. I was all set to buy a hi-lift until everyone told me they stink.
Yeah high lift is a Deathtrap. Sure if your vehicle has ports for it and you are familiar with one they have their uses, but you ain’t changing a tire on the freeway with it safely. Wood blocks aren’t the safest either in that scenario.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I use a hydraulic bottle jack, big block of wood, and a piece of plywood in a milk crate stashed on the driver's side rear seat. The plywood is for mud, sand, or snow so I don't jack the block of wood into the planet. Tarp, jumpercables, towstrap, and some other stuff in the milkcrate too. Anything to keep a bad day (flat) from getting worse. I like the jeep scissor jack but they're slow and they can go sideways easily. Not lifted here.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2X12x12 treated with stock jack worked well with 32s and 4.5 inches of lift to change a tire
and it all fits under rear seat

Just have to know where to put the jack
If you sit down and think about it, no use putting it in the side under the frame, since then you have to max out the suspension before you can lift a tire off the ground
Now on front under either LCA arm will work or in the rear the lower shock mount area
I have had to do it on a friends 3 times on interstate with trucks / cars rushing by, no issues at all any of those times
Tried it on mine as soon as I lifted it back in 05

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I like that, though it might be pricey enough to make me stick to the wood block.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep is heavy & that OEM scissor jack is short & pretty flimsy.
I went to a scrap yard and found a heavy duty GMC scissor jack that can lift to 18.5 inches.
Stable wide base, and works perfectly for lifted Jeep.

Attachments

• Scissor Thick Real Steel.jpg
    Scissor Thick Real Steel.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Members online