ive narrowed my choices down. please help

Which tire should i get.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Firestone Destination A/T 235/70 R16's and they seem to work pretty well for me. If you plan on off roading alot I'm sure there are better ones though.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
I have used tree tires off of your list. But not on a Jeep Liberty.

The BF Goodrich Rugged Trail A/T I had on my old work truck. I used them summer and winter (Canadian winter on the Prairies ranging in temperatures of 108 F. in the summer and down to -50F. in the winter. All in all not a bad tire for a light truck if your driving tends to keep you on the pavement and maybe the occasional mild 4X4 outing.

The next tire was the General Grabber AT2.
Friend of mine had a set of those mounted under his Suzuki Samurai (VW Diesel Powered- Awesome!)
From what I remember, they did really well off road and in the snow, but a little too squirrelly for me on wet pavement. But then again, I think he was using 31 or 33 inch tires under a small 4X4 with loads of torque. Buy fun non the less!

And finally The Uniroyal Laredo AWT.
My foreman in Alberta had a set of these mounted under his Dodge Dakota
4X4 truck.
Nice tires!
And not too expensive I understand.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont care for any of those tires but that is just me

I read something on another board a while back and found it interesting
this is the short version but you can get the point he was making

"Why would you knowingly by a tire that is 1/2 a$$ed at every thing?
an AT tire is simply that. They suck off road 90% of the time and suck on road 75% of the time. If you know that you plan to go off road even with your DD then buy a top quality MT yes they make more noise than a High way tire but they need to get traction
Look at it like this if you go off road with a group and the common tire is MT's they will only get pissed when you sorry a$$ with AT's keeps getting stuck"

some one else posted some thing back then he went on like this

"Mt's will be great off road but not so hot on road highway tires will be great on road but suck off road now AT's will be not be great at any thing so you are buying 1/2 a$$ed I would not put highway tires on my trail rig any sooner than I would put (I dont know what tire he said) Iroks on my DD
You can get tires that are MT that will make a little noise and not last 50K but remember YOU DRIVE A EFFEN JEEP STUPID IT IS NOT A CADDY

I amy have replaced some of the wording but you get the point
you can also guess what the person wanted to buy and how he felt about it
I feel the same

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
firestones among your list

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated above, if you wheel quite a bit and deal with muddy conditions then by all means go MT. If you occasionally wheel and do mostly on road, then stick to a more road friendly tire. I personally use the Grabber AT2s and love them. I wheel once in a while but I live in WI so an AT tire is useful nearly everyday in winter.

Reaction score
tread life on most mt tires is like 30000 miles. i drive 90% on road and only have one car. these picks are based off of what i can afford

I dont care for any of those tires but that is just me

I read something on another board a while back and found it interesting
this is the short version but you can get the point he was making

"Why would you knowingly by a tire that is 1/2 a$$ed at every thing?
an AT tire is simply that. They suck off road 90% of the time and suck on road 75% of the time. If you know that you plan to go off road even with your DD then buy a top quality MT yes they make more noise than a High way tire but they need to get traction
Look at it like this if you go off road with a group and the common tire is MT's they will only get pissed when you sorry a$$ with AT's keeps getting stuck"

some one else posted some thing back then he went on like this

"Mt's will be great off road but not so hot on road highway tires will be great on road but suck off road now AT's will be not be great at any thing so you are buying 1/2 a$$ed I would not put highway tires on my trail rig any sooner than I would put (I dont know what tire he said) Iroks on my DD
You can get tires that are MT that will make a little noise and not last 50K but remember YOU DRIVE A EFFEN JEEP STUPID IT IS NOT A CADDY

I amy have replaced some of the wording but you get the point
you can also guess what the person wanted to buy and how he felt about it
I feel the same

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tread life on most mt tires is like 30000 miles. i drive 90% on road and only have one car. these picks are based off of what i can afford

I think that 30K is some thing you are just guessing at
I know quite a few guys who get 30K + out of super swamper radials
Now if you can drop $125 or so on those then you should shop your local
"cheep stores" or "mom and pops tire shop" most of the time they can get you
*** brand MT for <$100 or really close and if you keep PROPER air in them they will go 40K easy
Let me search the web I will be right back

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the ones you listed in your poll, i would choose the General Grabbers.

Dave

hawaiianbasshead

Reaction score
I had BFG MTs on my frontier and they're rubbish... never again. good in mudd, suck butt on wet road/asphalt.. I have pro comp xtreme ATs on my titan and they're good all around. not as good in mudd as mudd tires, but still better than normal ATs because the knobs are huge. but I don't think they are even made in smaller than 32.5" so my choice of yours would be the grabbers :D

Reaction score
im probably getting tires and brakes tomorrow. my mom tried to put some crap forteras off on me but i dont want a road tire. looks like in goin with the at2's. thanks

Reaction score
ok well my moms taking care of brakes so i can get grabbers. i have the scorpions on my truck now. theyre a great tire and gave me about an inch and a half lift. ill probably get the at2's at 245 70 16

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK like I said I will be back
~$100 a tire for 225/75 R16 ,which is 29"+ tall and about 7"+ wide, from the net note they are made by bridgestone
http://www.daytontiresales.com/brid...oductdetail.htm?ID=3159342&Brand=80&Type=3010

It looks like the Dayton Timberline M/T is slightly different version of the Firestone Destination M/T. I finally decided to get the Destination M/T. By the way, the AT2 in 245/70 isn't rated for severe snow. Check out this chart from TireRack on which sizes are rated for severe snow.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is not true according to Continental Tire. All AT2's are all rated for severe snow according to Continental Tire. I went through this discussion on another forum and we talked with Continental and with Tirerack. The reason Tirerack says they are not is because they don't have the severe snowflake symbol on some of the sizes. Continental says they do this because some sizes do not have the snowflake on them to be more consistent with certain popular sizes of European tires where the symbol is not desired there. Tirerack will continue to say they are not snowrated as long as the symbol is not on the tire.

Reaction score
i kept the pirellis because the AT2's were back ordered like 3 months. it would have only save me lie $6 a tire getting AT2's any way. thanks to every one for the input if i get as much as i think i will from selling my laptop and stuff, i'll buy a set of AT2's for off roading