It always has to be something...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started installing my OME lift today. Wasn't going toooo bad, a few little things here and there. UCA ball joint not wanting to separate was getting to me but eventually it popped loose (few light taps my ass).

With the "strut" assembly out it was on to phase 2. The rented spring compressor was getting a workout just doing the stock springs but I got everything apart and started reassembly with the 926/NS131.

They started to bend. I actually warped them a bit getting the spring compressed enough to get everything back together.

And then, just when I thought I'd made it, this little problem announced itself:

(edit: cant get pic to post, here's the link)

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/album.php?albumid=411&pictureid=2696

album.php

Yeah, there isn't enough space between the coils now to get the spring compressor's "fingers" out. I tried prying between the coils with a crowbar but I just can't get enough room to get them out.
I'm going to borrow another spring compressor from someone at work tomorrow and try to squish the center coils to give me more room between the outer ones.

So yeah, it always has to be something...

Last edited:

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure which part of "Insert Image" I'm messing up but it fits well with tonight's "theme".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats why I would never do them myself, run them down to the local shop while they are doing the fronts I have the rear done and pick them up, 45 minutes later DONE!!!!!!!!!
Why screw around with them flimsy a** things
If you would of seen what a spring coming out of those did to my buddies head you'd never use them, not worth ending up a vegetable

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think in the future this will be filed under "I'd rather pay someone else to do it".

I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm not sure I could carry both sets of springs and shocks on the bike though.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine to a shop and they charged me for 30 min.of labor, very well worth it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a local shop that also does all of my alignments after we lift them. They treat me pretty good when I go in. They told me here a while back they had done 23 sets for me so far and 19 alignments told them I should get a free alignment out of it at least :happy175::shrug:

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: End of Day 2 of the lift install.

The 2nd spring compressor had thinner hooks but they wouldn't fit either so I took it to a shop and they were able to extract the parts. When I picked it up I dropped off the other set and they managed to squeeze it in just before the end of the day.

The cost of saving me from my own incompetence? $35.00

Not that the day went without a hitch. When I removed the shock/spring towers I put the nuts back on so I wouldn't lose them or get them mixed up with anything else. The tower that I rebuilt came back with the nuts still in place but the 2nd set did not. I didn't notice this til I was installing them and by that time the shop was closed.

I improvised and just used 2 on each tower so I could get the front end back together. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the other ones back and get the under hood stuff back in.

Stay tuned tomorrow night for highlights from "Day 3: The Rear End"

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done. No major difficulties with the back end.

I'm getting a little bit of rubbing with the 35" BMG MTs. This will go away once the lift settles in right?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 01-2.jpg
    01-2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 92

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just kidding.

The real tires (245/75R16 DuraTracs) will be mounted on Monday. I'll get some pics then.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done. No major difficulties with the back end.

I'm getting a little bit of rubbing with the 35" BMG MTs. This will go away once the lift settles in right?

attachment.php

My 35" MT/R's don't rub:shrug:

You must be registered for see images attach

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

which reminds me, I had parked just a little of the road couple weeks ago on a hump just to flex a bit. Some guy came buy and asked me if I broke a spring and if I needed help :happy175:

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back from the shop. The only thing they had to adjust on the alignment was the toe.

No rub on the pinch weld but some on the front liner/air dam with a full turn. Scared the crap outta me when I backed out of the parking spot.

I think the air dam is gonna have to come off, not sure if I want to mess with trimming the bumper yet and I still need to see how things fit under a full flex.

Here's the pics.

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Too bad pictures don't do these tires justice, they look much better in person.

Kind of like this pic. It doesn't give a good feel for just how hard it was to get in and out of the Jeep for the photo op.:icon_lol:

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks real good. I went with the same setup and tire size.

DJ "former Michigander"