Issues with blue smoke tailpipe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddybe09

Reaction score
I have an 05 liberty 4x4. I have recently change my driverside downstream o2 sensor and an oil change. Afterwards I started throwing light blue smoke out of tail Pipe. what in the world is this. Got a po420 and po430 codes also. Please please help.

Aloicious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue smoke is usually a sign of burning oil. Could be from valve seals, rings, head gasket, pcv...when did you last change the PCV? Id start there and then move to a compression test to try and ID where oil is getting into the combustion chamber. Is it an ongoing thing, or was it only that one time you started it after the oil change?

As far as the p0420/30, those are typically codes associated with failing cats. Did you change all the O2 sensors or only the one? How old are any that you didn't change? What brand sensors did you install?

Daddybe09

Reaction score
I just recently got this vehicle, I truly don't know what has been replaced or not. But I am going to change the pcv first and see what that does. For the o2 I only changed the driver side down stream only.. do I need to do all???

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue smoke is a sign of worn rings or stem seals in general but what about fuel trim etc?
Here are codes list: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/generic-chrysler-diagnostic-trouble-code-list.39860/
P0420 is related to Catalytic Converter Efficiency issues and P0430 seems not to be listed, but may also be related to the cats.
Fuel trim readings are probably necessary now & only NGK/NTK oxygen sensors are recommend for the KJ.
Replacing the PCV even making sure it is clean and rattles is good too.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never replaced all O2 sensors when one went bad. I've had an 02 with about 180k on it and only had to replace one downstream. 149k is a good number of miles for a sensor but if they ain't broke then don't fix 'em. Like LibertyTC said, NTK is the go to brand for replacements. The blue smoke probably is not good for the cats. Need to solve that before worrying about cat codes or possible cat replacement. Are there any driveability issues? I know you haven't had it long but are you using much oil between changes? Let us know what happens after checking the PCV system.

Daddybe09

Reaction score
I am using a little more oil then normal oil lost due every day to day driving. No power loss, nor ruff idle. It is running well just has that light blue smoke and the codes. Will get pvc and install and see what happens. Thank you for your help.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What oil and weight are you using? I'd use a 5W30 high mileage oil. Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil HM, Castrol HM...any of them.