Issue with starter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMHKJ

Reaction score
At random times, my 2004 Lib will just click when I turn it over. I thought it might be the battery, so I tried jumping it straight through the contacts....same thing. I smack it with a hammer, nothing.

It seems really random at times....Any ideas?

Thanks a ton for any input!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a new starter solenoid, or just plain complete reman starter. Get the wrenches out!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Next time it does this, try holding the key on to start position and see if it happens to turn over....sounds like a connection/ground problem.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and clean the battery terminals, and before you put the negative cable back on the battery check all the connections at the starter to make sure they are clean and tight, that way you don't have to worry about accidental shorts while doing so.

If all that checking fails i say buy a starter and replace it. I know most auto parts stores around here give me a 7 day no questions asked return. So it doesnt hurt to try replacing it, and if the problem goes away then bring back your old starter to get your core charge, or if it still has a problem then put your old one back on and return the replacement for a refund.

You can also check the old starter on the workbench after you pull it to see if works if your familiar with the connections on them, just need a set of jumper cables and a test lead to run it.

CMHKJ

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks a ton for the info. Will definitely give that a shot tomorrow!

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The quality of reman starters vary greatly. Get one from a real parts store that sells to repair shops.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually when this starts happening, the starter contacts are starting to fail from wear. these are internal to the starter. Usually, a reman starter is not too bad in price, but as other have said, don't buy a cheapo, or it could leave you stranded.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i prefer the higher end reman units, you pay a bit more but your paying for peace of mind.

I checked Advance Auto Parts today out of curiosity, about $100 for a starter with a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Oh, and a $29.00 core charge until you bring your old one back.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i prefer the higher end reman units, you pay a bit more but your paying for peace of mind.

I checked Advance Auto Parts today out of curiosity, about $100 for a starter with a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Oh, and a $29.00 core charge until you bring your old one back.
It would only cost about $20-$40 to refurbish the starter yourself if they would make the kits available for these newer high torque starters:mad:.Just add a new copper washer in the soliniod(90% of the problems with starters),new brushes,and new bearings and that will take care of 90% of the issues,sometimes a new bendix is required but they usually don't cost more then $40.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would only cost about $20-$40 to refurbish the starter yourself if they would make the kits available for these newer high torque starters:mad:.Just add a new copper washer in the soliniod(90% of the problems with starters),new brushes,and new bearings and that will take care of 90% of the issues,sometimes a new bendix is required but they usually don't cost more then $40.

Yep, i've rebuilt starters and alternators in the old days. Seems like you can't get the parts for any of the newer ones now days.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quality of reman starters vary greatly. Get one from a real parts store that sells to repair shops.

I agree. I have had good luck going to NAPA for parts over the years.

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard other people say that, and i got to say there must be a big difference between NAPA stores across the country. The couple i have around me screw you over pretty good and their parts are iffy at best. We went to get and alternator once, they bring it out and sit down on the counter and the box was taped shut so i didn't figure i needed to open it and check it. Get home and open the box and its covered in greasy fingerprints and the nuts were missing from the terminal. And thats just one of many incidents with them.

Now i use RockAuto if i can wait for a part to ship, otherwise i go to Advance Auto Parts. Haven't had a problem yet.

Latest posts

Members online