Is this too much play in the drive shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lifted the jeep 500 miles ago and today I developed a clunking noise. It is most noticeable on and off the brakes. I went under, retorqued everything, everything looked fine but noticed this (see video). It's not a constant clunk - sometimes it happens rhythmically, sometimes nothing at all, usually happens when letting on or off the brakes. And I feel it through the brake pedal. It almost feels as if the calipers themselves are loose, but everything is tight. I checked the front axle shafts and they seem solid (as far as I can tell). I also checked both front wheel bearings and upper/lower ball joints. It also doesn't happen if I'm turning. More like approaching and leaving stop signs....never had this before...

I'm stumped...

This is the shaft from the transfer case to the front diff...click on pic for video
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems OK. What you want to check is vertical play. Also check the boot on the joint that goes into the transfer case. If it's torn, time to replace the CV joint!

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on thanks. I looked at a couple Liberty's we have here at work and they all have the same amount of play too.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm not a professional but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to have any play

cj847

Reaction score
Sounds like a suspension issue to me. When you are on and off the brake the suspension is usually cycling in some way as well.

The play in your video is normal. Up, down, in, out, side to side no, but rotationally OK (to a point).

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah all the ends look just fine. Whatever was making the noise has gone away. I'm still getting a growl coming from what I think is a wheel bearing...strange, but typical when lifting something with 125k miles, lol