Is the liberty really rugged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really had no clue of the offroad capability of this vehicle until I purchased it in June of 04. I was just looking for something with 4 wheel drive because I got sick of getting stuck on the hilly streets of Bethlehem in the snow. Now I pray for 12 inches of snow every time they forcast snow so I can play with my 4 wheel drive....Gas mileage is the only drawback to this vehicle; but even so, I get 20 mpg with mostly city drivng, so it could be worse. I love going to my father in law's cabin in central PA near lockhaven. Him and a bunch of other guys have one at the top of a mountain with only an old logging road as access.....It's a great 10 minute ride in the jeep, and I love it. I now truly understand the whole buzz that jeep stirs within the individual.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've literally beat the crap out of my liberty. I got it new with 19 miles on it and am up to 15k now. Not a single problem yet. It's seen some pretty nasty off road conditions and has been iun 4-lo for probably 30 hours of driving.

KJ808

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One great advantage in owning a Liberty is that you have all these Liberty owners in forums like these to help you with pretty much anything. An online Jeep Liberty support group hehe. =D>

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry-Threadjack!

stackthepads30 said:
I was just looking for something with 4 wheel drive because I got sick of getting stuck on the hilly streets of Bethlehem in the snow.

Bethlehem....where? NH?

renegade

Reaction score
I have a 2004 renegade and we love the jeep,i have installed the
rustys lift kit with larger tires,i have 45 thousand miles and not one
problem to report,the time has come to get my wife a new suv and
of course the jeep was the first one we checked out.

I then was checking on line for test of 4wheel drives and saw a four
suv shootout

liberty
hummer
nissan ext.
toyota fj

well after reading the test and seeing fj toyota beat all of them thats our next test drive next week.
It had the most power i believe they said 265hp was better off road
had good road manners and was the best priced,has anyone here
tried one or seen them on the trails,thanks

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family has always owned Jeeps, and I have an 02 Liberty, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. This is the first vehicle I have had no desire to trade in. I LOVE it. And, yes, it's really rugged.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Sorry-Threadjack!

SnowgodCCR said:
stackthepads30 said:
I was just looking for something with 4 wheel drive because I got sick of getting stuck on the hilly streets of Bethlehem in the snow.

Bethlehem....where? NH?

Bethlehem, Pa?? If so, then...Howdy neighbor!

I work in Bethlehem, so I know exactly what you mean about driving around there when in snows. Everytime I go thru there I'm thankful I've got a garage to park in and don't have to find something on the street.

57gldtp

Reaction score
Re: Sorry-Threadjack!

jp1 said:
SnowgodCCR said:
stackthepads30 said:

Bethlehem....where? NH?

Bethlehem, Pa?? If so, then...Howdy neighbor!

I work in Bethlehem, so I know exactly what you mean about driving around there when in snows. Everytime I go thru there I'm thankful I've got a garage to park in and don't have to find something on the street.

I'm pretty sure he's refering to Bethlehem, Pa.
My son lives in Easton so, howdy neighbor to you.
I travel up there often from central NJ & I love it there.
I'll be in Bethlehem in June (@ Lehigh University) for
a 3 day music festival. Looking forward to climbin' some hills.

57GT O:)

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
threadjacked.gif

Back to topic.

wavey.gif

(Cheers)

Come out to Colorado and we'll show you some rocks those car chassis SUV wanna-bes would break instantly trying to climb, yet the Liberty climbs over while laughing and having a good time.

Never trust magazine articles. Probably some old farts that thinks Jeep should ONLY be a Wrangler-type vehicle and hates the KJ because it isn't one.

Being an off-road vehicle (4x4) not All-wheel Drive (AWD), the KJ can do a lot of great things. Those AWD "cars" can't make it through rugged terrain.

Your best bet: Go test drive a KJ and if they let you go w/o a salesman riding with you, find a rough terrain area and play on it with the 4-Lo (never exceed 25 mph in 4-Lo). Get a feel for it and then decide.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a few buds that have bought the FJ, none of them get the mpg on the window that I've talked to. The interior is something I'd have to get used to, but they are nice riding rigs, heavier feeling, more truck like. The aftermarket is all over them as they run pretty much the Tacoma truck gear under the rig.

zeke1312

Reaction score
The vehicle is really a good selection. I don't off road so I can't attest to its capabilities in that area. The Jeep is built by folks in Ohio and they do a good job! My 2005 Limited has taken me from Nebraska and back twice in addition to local use without any problems.

Now I must tell you of less than stellar performance areas, at least in my opinion. As you know already the gas mileage is poor. 18 mpg on the highway for me. Cloth seats are made of a good looking material but stains even by water! I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee with quadramatic ( I think that's what is was called) and the Grand Cherokee felt more sure footed in snow and ice, once again at least for me.

Would I buy another? Yes if/when the gas mileage is improved. I really like the Jeep and recommend it to others. The shortcomings I mentioned may not be an issue for you and that makes purchasing the vehicle is an easy choice.

HIKJ

Reaction score
My Liberty CRD (Cherokee in Europe) is the worst car I ever owned in terms of technical problems. I have never been at the garage as often as in the last two years.
I have taken the car to Iceland and to Morocco. It is reasonably rugged, but not made for high speed off-road use. You will never see a Liberty participate in a Paris-Dakar event.
And somehow, I am still attached to this vehicle.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep Liberty is a Jeep, not a car-based SUV!

My wife traded in her 10 year old Honda CRV on a 2wd 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited about a month ago. One thing good I'll say about the Honda - it was reliable. But I hated driving it - light, disconnnected from the road, and even though AWD, it was better on rainy paved roads, as opposed to dirt trails. Her Jeep felt solid, connected to the road, and imparted a feeling of security when on the freeway. With traction control, the 2wd Liberty will go places the CRV with AWD couldn't.

So much so that, after 40 yrs. of Chevy SWB 4wd pickups, I just traded in my 2004 on a new 2007 Liberty Sport 6spd 4wd. The build is solid and it will go anywhere the Chevies would, with more finesse. The four coil springs conform to the terrain much better than the torsion bar/coil springs. The gas mileage isn't great compared to a CRV, but next to a full-size pickup one is saving $$$$$. The 6spd is like a sports machine - nice and tight, run through the gears snick, snick, snick. As I previously mentioned, this ain't no car-based cross-over vehicle, but an off road Jeep.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flatfoot,
If CR didn't like the Liberty, why are they always on the recommended to buy list for SUVs. Have been since the first.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep Liberty ruggedness

"torsion bar/coil springs"

I meant to say the Chevies had torsion bar/leaf springs - really bone-jarring.

Also, need to add, the total price of the two new 2007 Jeep Liberties was $5,000 less than that one ONE new 4wd Tahoe, and we're talking a lower priced one at that. I also noticed that the lower edge of the front bumper on the new Tahoes is about 4 inches off the ground.

Needless to say, I'm happy with two new Jeep Liberties instead of one new Tahoe that would nt make up a rutted mountain trail.