Ironman Lift Kit Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, i'm looking to replace my old saggy stock suspension and go with an Ironman Lift Kit. I just purchased a set of 245/75/16 MT Baja STX tires to go with it as well. From what i've been reading and researching is the Ironman Kit seems to be the best for ride comfort and longevity (along with OME). My First question is, do i go with the HD kit? seems like that would prevent premature sagging. Also, is it suggested to go with the 4" rear shocks? If purchasing this kit from JBA KJ Ironman 1.5" spring lift kit HD - Lift Kits, Jeep Liberty - Liberty 02-07 (KJ) Is there anything else i would need, or would be suggested? Any additional insight would be great before making my purchase. Thank you for your replies in advance!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, i'm looking to replace my old saggy stock suspension and go with an Ironman Lift Kit. I just purchased a set of 245/75/16 MT Baja STX tires to go with it as well. From what i've been reading and researching is the Ironman Kit seems to be the best for ride comfort and longevity (along with OME). My First question is, do i go with the HD kit? seems like that would prevent premature sagging. Also, is it suggested to go with the 4" rear shocks? If purchasing this kit from JBA KJ Ironman 1.5" spring lift kit HD - Lift Kits, Jeep Liberty - Liberty 02-07 (KJ) Is there anything else i would need, or would be suggested? Any additional insight would be great before making my purchase. Thank you for your replies in advance!

First of all, you have the proper color KJ and since it's a Renegade it is obviously a step above all others :happy175::happy175:

As for your questions...To run those tires I'd suggest you add the JBA 1/4" top plate to give yourself enough height to avoid rubbing. In the back you should add an extra rear upper isolator to level the front and back. Which means, yes, you should get the longer shocks for the rear.

For the front you'll want to replace the factory bumpstops with Terraflex extended bumpstops. In the rear, buy four hockey pucks and install two per side on the lower spring perch to function as bumpstops.

I recommend you go with the HD kit - that's what I run on mine. Others may suggest the mediums but I figured that I'd be adding stuff as time went on so why redo the suspension a second time.

That should get you started... :waytogo:

Bob

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, you have the proper color KJ and since it's a Renegade it is obviously a step above all others :happy175::happy175:

As for your questions...To run those tires I'd suggest you add the JBA 1/4" top plate to give yourself enough height to avoid rubbing. In the back you should add an extra rear upper isolator to level the front and back. Which means, yes, you should get the longer shocks for the rear.

For the front you'll want to replace the factory bumpstops with Terraflex extended bumpstops. In the rear, buy four hockey pucks and install two per side on the lower spring perch to function as bumpstops.

I recommend you go with the HD kit - that's what I run on mine. Others may suggest the mediums but I figured that I'd be adding stuff as time went on so why redo the suspension a second time.

That should get you started... :waytogo:

Bob

First off, yes Black Renegades clearly reign supreme haha :roflsquared:. Second, thank you for all the info! That's exactly what i was looking for, Much appreciated!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
HDs on the Ironman which by themselves will give you 2.25 inches of lift over new stock
Like Bob stated I would add the 1/ 4 inch top plate giving you another 1/2 inch and also 1/8 inch of clevis
That will put you in the 3 inch range in front
1/8 inch clevis would be one conduit nut per side
The longer Ironman rear shocks are good up to 3.5-3.75 inches of lift easy so run those, they ride good

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me understand this on a regular gasser. You can use the crd HD ironman lift and you go for the 4" rear springs. With this kind of lift as explained above would you need new a arms or brake lines. Will this give a nice level look to the kj or will the rear be higher.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So let me understand this on a regular gasser. You can use the crd HD ironman lift and you go for the 4" rear springs. With this kind of lift as explained above would you need new a arms or brake lines. Will this give a nice level look to the kj or will the rear be higher.

Rear would be way higher with the 4 inch springs , just use the complete Ironman kit
comes with springs/ shocks

again
HDs on the Ironman which by themselves will give you 2.25 inches of lift over new stock
Like Bob stated I would add the 1/ 4 inch top plate giving you another 1/2 inch and also 1/8 inch of clevis
That will put you in the 3 inch range in front
1/8 inch clevis would be one conduit nut per side

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh i got it now i just thought you guys were talking about rear springs and on the jba site they give you the option for whatever springs come with it or 4" i thought you guys were suggesting getting 4" but now i understand. Your too nice of a guy tom i am sure you hate fielding all these questions and saying the same things over and over. Thank you again.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the Ironman HD kit (springs+shocks) a week ago.. I'm loving it so far. My suspension had sagged quite a bit (was sitting over an inch too low) before I did it, and the new setup has really improved the ride. I feel like the Jeep is much more stable, even though it sits higher, and dive, dip, and roll have all been reduced as well. Like I said, very pleased with the result so far.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh i got it now i just thought you guys were talking about rear springs and on the jba site they give you the option for whatever springs come with it or 4" i thought you guys were suggesting getting 4" but now i understand. Your too nice of a guy tom i am sure you hate fielding all these questions and saying the same things over and over. Thank you again.

Thats what we are here for to help where ever :gr_grin:

Pawtucket

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, own a 04 liberty sport, I actually had the same question, anyone know of a seller online that will bundle absolutely everything id need to install the ironman lift? Its my daily, not looking for anything extreme.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, own a 04 liberty sport, I actually had the same question, anyone know of a seller online that will bundle absolutely everything id need to install the ironman lift? Its my daily, not looking for anything extreme.

Yep, the same source referenced in an earlier post.

JBAOffroad.com As far as I know JBA is the only U.S. distributor of Ironman products. Certainly the best source for KJ products.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

If you want everything bundled either the Ironman or the OME come with 4 shocks and 4 springs, all you need are bumpstops
if you want to go higher and have the JBA upper control arms look at the tommudd econo kit
springs / shocks/ UCAs, clevis and top pate etc for 3.5- 3.75 inches of lift

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the thread jack and this being unrelated but for longevity and ride quality which way would be best the ironman or the ome. I have been running stock this whole time and i dont know if they were ever changed. For me to be able to justify this to the wife i need it to last and ride better.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the thread jack and this being unrelated but for longevity and ride quality which way would be best the ironman or the ome. I have been running stock this whole time and i dont know if they were ever changed. For me to be able to justify this to the wife i need it to last and ride better.

I have ran both on mine
I loved the ride of the OMEs for 100,000 miles
When I installed the Ironman to test them out, I was impressed with the difference in the ride, still really good but different
501 who got the Ironman next had a OME setup before and liked the Ironman better
Ride and handling will be way better than it ever was stock, so there is your selling point
I swapped my stock suspension out at 20,000 miles and should of done it with 100

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tom and what should i be expecting for a shop to charge should i even trust a shop or should i attempt to find help and do it myself. Wishing i was in ohio right about now.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to install this in my garage or the "strut" assembly needs to be taken in to be assembled. Thats my only set back is how will i install it and i cant seem to get a straight answer from places near me that with assemble the struts and how much$$$. For this reason i am considering the frankenlift just for the fact its pre assembled i am a ways from having the funds i am just trying to figure everything out.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ran both on mine
I loved the ride of the OMEs for 100,000 miles
When I installed the Ironman to test them out, I was impressed with the difference in the ride, still really good but different

But that means you were comparing new springs to ones with 100k miles on them?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to install this in my garage or the "strut" assembly needs to be taken in to be assembled. Thats my only set back is how will i install it and i cant seem to get a straight answer from places near me that with assemble the struts and how much$$$. For this reason i am considering the frankenlift just for the fact its pre assembled i am a ways from having the funds i am just trying to figure everything out.

Definitely take the front springs & shocks to a shop to be assembled. Remove your old assembly and take them along with the new shocks and springs to a local tire shop. Most will charge around $40 to $50 to do the pair if you bring your Jeep back for an alignment. Basically just ask them to give you a "shop charge/alignment deal." :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But that means you were comparing new springs to ones with 100k miles on them?

Nope not at all, have to remember for a while there we were doing at least one lift every few weeks. So had a lot of butt time in a lot of them :icon_lol:
PLUS I had already moved on to the next OME lift and had ran it for a while when I did the Ironman