Ironman 4x4 Kit for $525 - starting a build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sojourner eo

Reaction score
BLUF: Bought Ironman 1.5" lift kit for 50% off (still on sale), where do I get bump stops appropriate? Current March 2022 availability of items is hard to find, and I want to update folks with currently available parts.

Howdy, been lurking for a while, finally decided to get started on converting my 135k mi 04 Renegade (silver unfortunately, but bought at $7500 with 75k back in 2014) into an overlanding/trail-driving project with my son (and his friends, all 16-17 yrs old). I have no intentions of doing serious rock-crawling, just want to get started in this way of enjoying our nation and my family. I was about to order at 2022 Bronco this morning only to find out they just closed the orders until they open for 2023 model year, sooo, going ahead with this project in the meantime.

I ordered the Ironman kit since it was half off, and half the price of the OME setup, and am about to order the Upper Control Arms from JBA direct. However, I see recommended the Teraflex Top Plates and Bump Stops, neither of which I can find nor are listed on the Teraflex website. So I called, ended up speaking to their Liberty Expert, Kyle, who said their 2" bump stops are inappropriate to my setup (are only purchased over the phone, not website), suggested sticking to stock. He also recommended the Moog parts below.

As for tires, I'll likely pick up a set of extra wheels from one of the many KJs in a junkyard and go up a size in tires (already have a set of winter and summer tires more road-oriented for my son's driver training and since we only have stayed on road with it, but only one set of wheels).

However, I'm aware of how often a certain well-known and well-regarded individual whose name is mud (see what I did there?? :D) states to include inch-for-inch bump stops.

Links to what I've found/are ordering:
IronMan 1.5" kit on sale for $525, comes with free traction boards:
(also bought their air kit for $199)

JBA Upper Control Arm, regular price $449, + ~$15 shipping

Also on advice from Kyle at Teraflex, ordered Moog rear control arms and front lower control arms (Amazon had best prices), they don't make these in their K/CK line, only their cheaper R line.
Mook RK641180 Rear Lower control arm $55 X 2

Moog RK641559 Front Lower Control Arm (Passenger side) $139

Moog RK641558 Front Lower Control Arm (Driver side) $139

My Questions
Where do I find bump stops appropriate to this kit? Teraflex says theirs are 2" and would limit travel (logical).

Should I go ahead and replace the CVs while I'm at it?

Any other recommendations while we're at it?

Attachments

• 1647444639958.png
    1647444639958.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OH Dear
should have started here asking before going to Kyle
Where do I even start , you are ordering parts you more than likely do not need

TKJ

Reaction score
Tommudf here again, Teraflex does not have top plates and yes posted here many times that you must call to buy their front bumpstops. They will work. For the rear you use 2 per side hockey pucks bolted down to the lower spring perch before you install rear springs. Still not sure why Kyle who has done one KJ told you to order all that other stuff. Spending that much you could have a a really good OME lift, there's a reason it was on sale. Sorry just being honest. I tested the very first Ironman lift that arrived in the US for JBA. I know what they're like

sojourner eo

Reaction score
All I want is honesty. I'm a big boy. I didn't buy anything from Teraflex at all, for the record. Frankly, with the vehicle as old as it is, the money goes to replacing parts with newer, high quality parts after a lot of time and exposure to salt. Is that not worth it?

Frankly, I've not seen any bad reviews of the IM kit (which full price is the same as the OME stuff), only that you had it on, and took it off again. Maybe I just didn't see it in my reading, can't read everything.

And, uh, why are you posting from a brand new account?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All I want is honesty. I'm a big boy. I didn't buy anything from Teraflex at all, for the record. Frankly, with the vehicle as old as it is, the money goes to replacing parts with newer, high quality parts after a lot of time and exposure to salt. Is that not worth it?

Frankly, I've not seen any bad reviews of the IM kit (which full price is the same as the OME stuff), only that you had it on, and took it off again. Maybe I just didn't see it in my reading, can't read everything.

And, uh, why are you posting from a brand new account?
LOL oh dear questions questions
I was on my phone could not remember pass word to my regular account so just made a new one for my phone, is that OK with you ?
Are you a Private Investigator in real life ?
And if parts need to be replaced then fine but sounded as if Kyle told you to replace them without rhyme or reason .
Now I did not just install and remove , I ran for a while , BUT i also had it set up with a higher rated spring since the ones in the kit did not give me lift, ride as well or anything like the OME that I was running at the time .
We then installed after some time testing , on a friends KJ . He ran it with the regular supplied springs and it settled, more and more , In comparison to the OME, my first OME 927/948 combo lasted over 100,000 miles before I updated and installed the old ones on another friends KJ. They had dropped maybe 1/4 inch over that time with an ARB bumper up front . The Ironman with stock bumper on my buddys didn't last 25,000 before it had dropped / sagged over that amount almost 3/4 of an inch .
Now do you want real life experiences on various lifts or want to go with sale items .
Just trying to help you save money and grief in the end but doesn't hurt me one bit what you choose
Good luck in life
And I do not paint like Bob Ross with cute little trees, I just tell it like it is, so goes life

sojourner eo

Reaction score

sojourner eo

Reaction score
Wow, you are a testy one ain't ya? That could have been a troll account, did you think of that before getting aggressive and rude? So I'll get aggressive and rude back, you aged, but knowledgable sacred cow of jeepkj that couldn't possibly be questioned! And No, I don't mind you saving me money! There, now the yelling and alpha male business is out of the way, we can have a beer and talk jeeps. ☺

Thanks for the info about the settling. I don't foresee keeping this vehicle that long, so the budget purchase is ok with me. I'd rather have all the arms along with bushings and joints replaced with something 18 yrs newer and more modern to ensure more reliability put on the trail, and I'll have the stock items as spares if needed.

This is a lightweight offroad project, so I don't need top of the line and/or most expensive, but as my son's daily driver and occasional fun trail vehicle, this seems like a good compromise.

Oh, and still wondering about appropriate bump stops if anyone out there has info on that.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BUMPSTOPS FOR THE FRONT
USE TEARFLEX AS STATED
IF YOU MUST THEY CAN BE CUT DOWN A LITTLE
THAT IS WHAT I DID ON MY 05

Now, I can move onto others who would like some solid advice
Too bad TJKJ2002 is no longer on here , then you would know testy LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if you off road it daily or go to the mall everyday and never even drive on the grass at home
You still want a good ride, better handling and something that lasts

But then thats me

sojourner eo

Reaction score
Plenty of hockey pucks everywhere, now we just need sticks, right? Or is that what words are for 'round here, instead of kindness and helping each other with patience?

Jeep KJ forums. A Happy Place! Nothing like the mod making people feel welcome. Apparently there's only one opinion that matters on the internet, that's why we have communities, right? Or is this how this place is run, only one opinion is allowed?

Or does no one else want to risk the mod's bullying and demeaning? There are other places for info. If this is all I get here for asking questions, then no reason to stick around.

A manufacturer tells you their bump stops aren't good for your application, but on testy character on the internet says different, no point asking any other questions, right?

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I think you'll be fine with the Ironman lift kit. I pieced together my lift kit with OME front springs, Blistein front shocks, Ironman rear springs, and OME rear shocks. I had to piece it together because OME rear springs and Bilstein rear shocks were on backorder for 8+months. I went with the IM rear springs for my lift and here's why.

1). OME rear springs were on backorder for months due to Covid, and I couldn't get an estimated shipping date.
2). After doing some research on 4Runner, Tacoma, and Wrangler forums, Ironman seemed to have revamped their products so they no longer **** and are now on par with OME. Mudd's experience with the first IM products checks out because they used to ****, but based on many others' more recent experiences, they now deliver a reputable product. Their springs seem to sag at the same rate as OME springs now.

I don't think you'll need the JBA arms though because they are typically used for lifts higher than 2". The lift also doesn't require the Moog upper or lower control arms either, and you only need new control arms if the control arms on your Jeep are worn out and need replacing anyway. I did not replace the control arms on my Jeep when I installed the lift, because they were not worn out at the time. Make sure you get the alignment done after the lift is installed and upload some pictures of the before and after!

And yeah, I've seen Mudd be ornery with people sometime, but he's a very knowledgeable and experienced with our KJs so ya gotta just have a thick skin and deal with it sometimes.

sojourner eo

Reaction score
I think you'll be fine with the Ironman lift kit. I pieced together my lift kit with OME front springs, Blistein front shocks, Ironman rear springs, and OME rear shocks. I had to piece it together because OME rear springs and Bilstein rear shocks were on backorder for 8+months. I went with the IM rear springs for my lift and here's why.

1). OME rear springs were on backorder for months due to Covid, and I couldn't get an estimated shipping date.
2). After doing some research on 4Runner, Tacoma, and Wrangler forums, Ironman seemed to have revamped their products so they no longer **** and are now on par with OME. Mudd's experience with the first IM products checks out because they used to ****, but based on many others' more recent experiences, they now deliver a reputable product. Their springs seem to sag at the same rate as OME springs now.

I don't think you'll need the JBA arms though because they are typically used for lifts higher than 2". The lift also doesn't require the Moog upper or lower control arms either, and you only need new control arms if the control arms on your Jeep are worn out and need replacing anyway. I did not replace the control arms on my Jeep when I installed the lift, because they were not worn out at the time. Make sure you get the alignment done after the lift is installed and upload some pictures of the before and after!

And yeah, I've seen Mudd be ornery with people sometime, but he's a very knowledgeable and experienced with our KJs so ya gotta just have a thick skin and deal with it sometimes.
Thank you, an excellent explanation, very helpful. I didn't realize the JBAs wouldn't be necessary, thought they were necessary with any decent lift. If I could ask another question, was the IM lift truly 1.5"? I've seen a lot of info that Aussie lifts always state 1.5", but don't necessarily turn out that way.

As for the Moog, they may not be strictly necessary, but I think I like the peace of mind (which also applies to the JBA, and if this really takes off, I may increase the lift in the future). Both kids learned on this vehicle, and weren't always nice regarding curbs in parking lots and such, especially with winter training... I plan on having the parts on hand when we tear everything apart just in case they're needed, and am tending towards just installing them, period. I hate having a vehicle sitting around torn apart if I've decided to do more than was originally planned.

Saving that money would be a big step towards the B&T APC9 Pro on my list...

I appreciate and respect his knowledge, but respect is supposed to be a two-way street. Someone who wants to dish out disrespect just for asking questions just looks like another bully to me, knowledge or no. If he wants to flex he can ban me. However, if we can shake hands and drink beers, even virtually, all the better. tl;dr: don't tread on me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plenty of hockey pucks everywhere, now we just need sticks, right? Or is that what words are for 'round here, instead of kindness and helping each other with patience?

Jeep KJ forums. A Happy Place! Nothing like the mod making people feel welcome. Apparently there's only one opinion that matters on the internet, that's why we have communities, right? Or is this how this place is run, only one opinion is allowed?

Or does no one else want to risk the mod's bullying and demeaning? There are other places for info. If this is all I get here for asking questions, then no reason to stick around.

A manufacturer tells you their bump stops aren't good for your application, but on testy character on the internet says different, no point asking any other questions, right?
They do not know how you are going to use the bumpstops NOR how much actual lift you are going to get
Not a happy place when folks put words in your mouth, like " oh you installed and removed the Ironman " where did that come from?
Were you hiding back in the shop ?
So yes maybe a bit off track, but was just trying to help you out
But facebook is a great place no matter what you come up with people will agree with ya

sojourner eo

Reaction score
FYI, JBA sent an email with this info yesterday, that it applies to 1-4" lifts:
You must be registered for see images attach

vortibear

Reaction score
Man, that’s a great deal. I recently installed the exact same kit on my 03 liberty and left everything else stock. I called Ironman to confirm I don’t need extended bump stops and they said “if it’s not included in the kit you don’t need it.” So far, they were right.

Latest posts

Members online