Interior door insert repair/recover...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my kj from my sister and brother in law, who owned it since new. I have noticed that they let people "repair, fix, or upgrade" things that will make you say wtf. Long story short, they had a detail guy repair a spot my sisters jewelry tore. The guy made things right, but they opted to leave it be and put the money somewhere else. So here's what I'm dealing with:
You must be registered for see images attach

I know there is no repairing this besides new(er) door panels, but I want to recover them. I covered my sub box in mossy oak wetlands fabric, and I'm thinking of doing the same for the door panel insert. Has anyone removed or recovered these before? I took the door panel off and popped off the black anti rattle "squeegee", and gently tried to pry them off. The leather is attached to some type of foam, which seems to be glued to the panel, and mainly held down with the anti rattle strip. It feels like the foam piece thay the leather is glued to is molded to hold its shape. I didn't try to peel the whole thing off until I asked around to see if someone has done it before. So any suggestions, opinions, or ideas are definitely appreciated. I'm not interested in new panels, just covering the leather. I always think it would be unique while matching my sub box

Here's what I'm thinking:

1) Gently pry, pull, or even use fishing line to remove the leather covered foam panel. I can tell it will come off of the door panel, but unsure if the door handle/armrest is holding the lower part in.
2) Either remove the leather from the molded foam backing, or just use spray adhesive and cover the leather. Won't known about this part until I get everything apart.
3) Use spray adhesive, hot glue, gorilla glue or whatever to re-attach newly recovered insert back to the door.

So does anyone know how the insert is attached, or maybe someone with a junk panel that can snatch the insert off to see? I have experience recovering panels, sub boxes, headliners, etc...but don't want to get the insert out find any surprises. It really aggravates me, especially being on the drivers door, so I need to do something. Let's hear what you got

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows how the insert is attached, or attempted to cover theirs in shag carpet?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember someone posting changing there seat covers and door panels but for the life of me I can't find it, maybe cause I'm using my cell phone to search.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Need to resize the picture. I can't see a thing you are trying to show me. I'm using a W I D E screen laptop too. 640x480 would be fine, and show enough detail for me. You may get more replies too.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on 2560x1440 and it's big.

Hint to viewers: Hold control button down and scroll your mouse wheel - it'll at least let you see the whole thing. You Mac folks are on your own. ;)

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on Tapatalk so I have no clue how to do that. Usually it's not a problem

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.