Interesting Lift Law website

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stickied...........if you don't mind Troy.

Good info. Thanks.

Dave

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice info!!! In F.L. you can drive a monster truck on the road, good to know. But if the vehicle is to low you can get in trouble. Lol

KJGirl26

Reaction score
Nice info!!! In F.L. you can drive a monster truck on the road, good to know. But if the vehicle is to low you can get in trouble. Lol

I have personally seen a few driving around. It is a sight to see, for sure.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... so by Mass law I can't have a lift more than 2". (good thing all lifts are 1.5" per Australian law... :anitoof:) BUT if it is a 4x4 vehicle there is a formula than I can go by which is
(wheelbase x wheeltrack)/ 2200

so I can have around a 8" lift if I go by that haha

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... so by Mass law I can't have a lift more than 2". (good thing all lifts are 1.5" per Australian law... :anitoof:) BUT if it is a 4x4 vehicle there is a formula than I can go by which is
(wheelbase x wheeltrack)/ 2200

so I can have around a 8" lift if I go by that haha

The gubb-ment up there in Massachusetts makes you live in a pretty tight box - but at least you can put a huge lift on your KJ :icon_cool:

Bob

Zippy

Reaction score
Super. Thanks. In Atlanta we have some big trucks here that are well over 13'6". Most cops around here don't give you heck unless you're doing something silly tho...

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the for the link. apparently in ga i cannot lift my jeep more than 2 inches. also can only have 2 fog lights. i have 4, lift is coming whenever i can do it. i see huge lifts all over ga....never heard of someone pulled over for it. interesting site!!

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
South Carolina limits passenger vehicles to 6" of lift. Pickup trucks are not limited. Makes a lot of sense.... Yeee haw

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would double check the information they have for your state. The New York page at least has some wrong information. NY does list a minimum legal tread depth (2/32" aka 1/16"), maximum bumper heights (30") and a few others.

Chumly

Reaction score
Something that isn't mentioned (I didn't look at all state laws) and I feel is a MASSIVE problem even with lifted vehicles leaving stealerships: Headlights!

When you lift your Jeep PLEASE align your headlights again even if it's not a law you feel the police are enforcing actively. Obviously when you lift any vehicle you are no longer aligned to DOT standards. When others also buy some annoying blue Xenon bulbs from ebay, it's even worse for the others on the roads you're trying to actually share with.

Looking at some of these laws I do feel they're stupid and just something we have to work with. The headlights are just killing me the last decade and are just annoying everyone on the road...including me.

Fog lights: never turn them on. They're there for no actual purpose but to be an upgrade with no actual purpose in life. Legal to use? Sure. Annoying to all? Yes. I can't find DOT standards for fog lights. Offroad use is still up in the air I suppose.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something that isn't mentioned (I didn't look at all state laws) and I feel is a MASSIVE problem even with lifted vehicles leaving stealerships: Headlights!

When you lift your Jeep PLEASE align your headlights again even if it's not a law you feel the police are enforcing actively. Obviously when you lift any vehicle you are no longer aligned to DOT standards. When others also buy some annoying blue Xenon bulbs from ebay, it's even worse for the others on the roads you're trying to actually share with.

Looking at some of these laws I do feel they're stupid and just something we have to work with. The headlights are just killing me the last decade and are just annoying everyone on the road...including me.

Fog lights: never turn them on. They're there for no actual purpose but to be an upgrade with no actual purpose in life. Legal to use? Sure. Annoying to all? Yes. I can't find DOT standards for fog lights. Offroad use is still up in the air I suppose.

Any non-halogen bulb in a halogen housing is illegal in most of the world,dealerships do not sell brand new "lifted" vehicles with aftermarket headlights.

Aiming headlights is a dying art since the aero age,basic headlight aiming equipment for modern vehicles starts at $30,000 and why many places do not do it anymore.

Fog lights do serve a purpose............................

FOG,they do actually work and in heavy snow storms also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Maybe you do not live in an area that gets any fog, but fog lights ( true fogs ) do serve a purpose and do great when mounted right and not used on the roof, windshield pillars etc.
Yes if possible any one who lifts should reset / aim their headlights
The ones you should be upset with is the LED owners who insist on running them all day long, anywhere they drive with them aimed straight in your eyes, plus the people installing different bulbs in to headlights not designed for them in the first place.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The modern "fog lights" that come on most new cars also service a purpose.
my wife got an escape with factory HID lights. people were always flashing highbeams at her.

I got her to turn on her fog lights, which only work during low beam, and people stopped flashing her. since they could see her fog lights were on, they knew her low beams were also on. :)

plus the fog lights do generate a little more light out to sides which can help find those damn swamp donkeys that like to jump out in front of you at night.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The modern "fog lights" that come on most new cars also service a purpose.
my wife got an escape with factory HID lights. people were always flashing highbeams at her.

I got her to turn on her fog lights, which only work during low beam, and people stopped flashing her. since they could see her fog lights were on, they knew her low beams were also on. :)

plus the fog lights do generate a little more light out to sides which can help find those damn swamp donkeys that like to jump out in front of you at night.
Here in OZ it's illegal to use fogs unless there is fog or it's raining.

2004 3.7 limited

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in OZ it's illegal to use fogs unless there is fog or it's raining.

2004 3.7 limited

Yeah here in the states a general rule for the entire country is no more then 4 white forward facing lights can be on at 1 time,all other AUX lights that did not come standard must be covered while on public roads.

Latest posts

Members online