Instrument light bulbs burnt out/ wrong color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got my new libby and noticed that when the backlights are on at night the left half of the HVAC controls are white instead of green. What kind of bulb do i need to get to make it green again? also i have one light out on the speedo, what kind of bulb is that?

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they're a type 103, 658, or PC74 (easiest to find) lamp and can be bought really cheaply in 10-packs. They're white bulbs with a bluish "skin" over them. Yours probably just wore off.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken apart my KJ's dash yet but I have disassembled many other dashes in my previous cars. I'll have to agree with TBJ here. The bulbs are white and there is usually a green plastic cutout template that makes the light green.

In a '98 Jetta I had I used high temp professional lighting gels to cut out red and blue ones to make my dash different colors. What a pain in the ass that was but it looked awesome in the end.